Potential hire Rob Ryan and Saints draft (1 Viewer)

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
If we hire Ryan what type of impact will he have on who we draft particularly early?

Between Oakland, Cleveland, and Dallas there has certainly been a lot of defensive backs drafted high. In 9 years as a coordinator Ryan's team has put a premium on getting defensive backs early and often.

1 6 Morris Claiborne CB LSU
1 7 Joe Haden CB Florida
2 38 T.J. Ward SS Oregon
4 100 Tyvon Branch CB Connecticut(was their 2nd pick)
1 7 Michael Huff SS Texas
1 23 Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
2 38 Stanford Routt DB Houston

Yeah, the Ryans' defenses are both predicated on having at least 1 shutdown corner, because they like to bring the heavy blitz so often. Rex has Revis, Rob used to have Asomugha.

If we hire Ryan, ill be shocked if we dont go after corner in the 1st

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What were his other first rounders?

I like that, we need a bigger 1st rd caliber corner,this draft is full of nice DE/OLB I love Jordan but we could use Banks or Rhodes we or to small at corner,Corners give DE's time and create turnovers..

It's hard to say. Everywhere he has coached, he has been under someoen who called the majority of the shots. Im sure he had some input, but with the Saints they would value his input probably more than anywhere he has haver been.

Raiders = Al Davis was the guy, period.
Browns = Mangini was the guy, especially when it came to defense.
Cowboys = Jerrah is the guy and listens to no one.

2004 - Oakland Raiders
RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 2 Robert Gallery T Iowa
2 45 Jake Grove G Virginia Tech

2005 - Oakland Raiders
1 23 Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
2 38 Stanford Routt DB Houston

2006 - Oakland Raiders
1 7 Michael Huff SS Texas
2 38 Thomas Howard OLB Texas-El Paso

2007 - Oakland Raiders
1 1 JaMarcus Russell QB Louisiana State
2 38 Zach Miller TE Arizona State

2008 - Oakland Raiders
1 4 Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
4 100 Tyvon Branch CB Connecticut

2009 - Cleveland Browns
1 21 Alex Mack C California
2 36 Brian Robiskie WR Ohio State

2010 - Cleveland Browns
1 7 Joe Haden CB Florida
2 38 T.J. Ward SS Oregon

2011 - Dallas Cowboys
1 9 Tyron Smith T USC
2 40 Bruce Carter LB North Carolina

2012 - Dallas Cowboys
1 6 Morris Claiborne CB LSU
3 81 Tyrone Crawford DE Boise State

Trade for a conditional second rounder than can become a first for Revis #Justkidding

I like that, we need a bigger 1st rd caliber corner,this draft is full of nice DE/OLB I love Jordan but we could use Banks or Rhodes we or to small at corner,Corners give DE's time and create turnovers..

I'd like to add some competition for Patrick Robinson, but if you look at the Seahawks

Richard Sherman
Brandon Browner
& Jeremy Lane

were all taken after the 5th round.

Even the guy Ryan signed recently (Brandon Carr) was a fifth round pick. Big, physical Corners who play press can be found late.

I'd like to add some competition for Patrick Robinson, but if you look at the Seahawks

Richard Sherman
Brandon Browner
& Jeremy Lane

Even the guy Ryan signed recently (Brandon Carr) was a fifth round pick. Big, physical Corners who play press can be found late.

Not by us. Incase you haven't realized it, our staff has the eye of offensive talent drafting, not defensive.

More then likely, with the hire of Rob Ryan, we're drafting a DB in the first. Id we somehow managed to draft vaccaro or milliner 15th overall or trade back and snatch Rhodes and an additional pick.... I would be ok with that.

It also makes sense. Ryans defense requires island corners which we dont have, and with our explosive offense we're gonna need to defend the backfield a lot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Richard Sherman
Brandon Browner
& Jeremy Lane

What about us taking Tharold Simon from LSU? He is 6'2 and most mocks have him going in the fourth or fifth. He had four picks and was LSU's number one corner in his first year starting. Also could potentially play FS. He is a big physical defensive back and I think he is worth a look in the later half of the draft.

I also like Rhodes but without a second we won't have a shot at him unless we trade back in the first. If Dee falls past 11 I could see us trying to trade up to get a true number one corner. That would push Greer into the second CB spot and PRob as our nickel. Giving us a good rotation at corner. I doubt Dee falls out of the top ten, but I love his blend of size, speed and athleticism. Joseph Banks also has good size at 6'2.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom