Potential QB (2 Viewers)

I'm curious also to see what Sean can do. If anyone thinks Sean is not gonna try real hard to prove he had a lot to do with Drew's success, you don't know Sean.

As far as protecting the ball, Jamies' worst year (2019) was 30 INTs. Drew's worst year (2010) was 22 INTs.

Jamies had as Head Coaches the following:

Lovie Smith (Dirk Koetter O Coordinator)
Dirk Koetter (Todd Monken O coordinator)
Bruce Arians (Byron Leftwich O coordinator)

I took a 5 season snap shot of Drew vs Jameis. I took Drew from 2007 to 2011. I was actually surprised the INTs per season were so close, especially considering Jameis had a 30 INT season. Drew averaged about 10 more TDs per season, but Sean has to count for some of that. Also, how bad has Tampa's O Line been during the time Jameis was there?

Here are they are:

20210119_083853.jpg
20210119_084005.jpg

Those ints aren't close. Very flawed comparison.

Jameis threw 6 more with almost 20% less attempts. You should really look at the efficiency stats. Things like games played and attempts are skewed.

Drew
5.6 TD per pass
2.6 INT per pass

Jameis
4.7 TD per pass
3.5 INT per pass

That is a huge difference...

Additionally, those years in front do matter. The league has steadily become more QB efficient. If you rank Drew's numbers in that time span it will be well above average, probably top 10. If you rank Jameis's numbers over his timespan he will be a bottom 10 QB.

Last edited:
Oh I agree on your point about the stats not showing everything, but since Jameis had some poor coaching and bad O lines, I think its probably apples to oranges on stats with me taking Drew's stats from seasons with Sean coaching. Here are Drew's first 4 (more or less) complete seasons without Sean vs Jameis first 4:

20210119_154402.jpg

20210119_154429.jpg
Please stop doing this. First it was Manning now Brees. Compare these guys to their peers not QBs from different eras. Brees and Manning were above average QBs in their first 5 years if not top 10. Winston was a bottom 10 QB in his first 5 years.

14-20 million, per year? No way. That is nuts. Min vet next year for a trial run, then a nice contract. Saints no way are tying up 34-40 million in QB money, counting the 20 million hit for Drew’s salary next year that is due!
No, two years. You have to sign him for at least two years to protect yourself. 5-7 per year for a QB is nowhere near market value.

Dirk Koetter
Todd Monken
Bruce Arians

Would you take any of these guys running the offense over Sean Payton?

I know I wouldn’t. Look, he’s never gonna be Drew on the field or off. Everyone has to get past that. But I have full confidence that if he stays, Jameis will be the best QB he will ever become in the NFL. He’s got all the talent in the world. If he continues to mature as a person, I think the sky’s the limit

No, two years. You have to sign him for at least two years to protect yourself. 5-7 per year for a QB is nowhere near market value.

I honestly don't see the Saints affording 15-20 per year if that's the price. To pay something like that they need at least 3 years to spread it out. Preferably 4. Things in 2022 are pretty tight too. I don't think a commitment like that is smart at all.

For the Saints to sign Jameis I think it has to be very cheap short term, or a long term deal.

He’s not going to sign a two year deal at that money. Just like Teddy signed the 1 year 5 mil then the 1 year 8 mil with us vs the 2 year 15 mil with the Dolphins. If Teddy had signed 2 years he wouldn’t have gotten the 3 year 63 mil contract last year. Unless it’s big money Jameis is signing a 1 year deal.

Sign Winston as our starter or bridge QB, year or 3 year deal. Do what we can to move up in the 1st round and get a good young QB. Especially since we aren’t sure about Winston. I’m rooting for the kid though....no more QBs getting drafted in the 6th or 7th round. They never work and scouting is too good nowadays. If there isn’t anyone Payton likes then wait until next year to draft a good young QB .

another thing is we are so poor cause of the cap that we really can’t afford anyone. Stafford would cost a fortune....

I have a feeling this division of ours won’t be too good next year honestly. I could see this division similar to the NFC EAST was this year. Maximum of 10 wins for the winner of the NFC SOUTH. We need to be prepared though Cause we might take a step back as far as wins. We are retooling/reworking the roster and will be tons of changes.

Sign Winston as our starter or bridge QB, year or 3 year deal. Do what we can to move up in the 1st round and get a good young QB. Especially since we aren’t sure about Winston. I’m rooting for the kid though....no more QBs getting drafted in the 6th or 7th round. They never work and scouting is too good nowadays. If there isn’t anyone Payton likes then wait until next year to draft a good young QB .

another thing is we are so poor cause of the cap that we really can’t afford anyone. Stafford would cost a fortune....

I have a feeling this division of ours won’t be too good next year honestly. I could see this division similar to the NFC EAST was this year. Maximum of 10 wins for the winner of the NFC SOUTH. We need to be prepared though Cause we might take a step back as far as wins. We are retooling/reworking the roster and will be tons of changes.

Seriously. It isn't about Taysom or Jameis.

As it is, we will have to cut or trade valuable players to get under the lower 2021 cap. We may not even have the cap space to afford the mandated salary of a late 1st round pick let alone the draft capitol or cap to move up.

One estimate says we will have to cut 100 million from the current roster to get under the new cap.

COVID 19 has placed us in a tough situation that even Loomis magic can't fix.

The League may have to step in and jury-rig the cap formula to save teams from having to gut themselves.

There won't be 15, 10 or even 5 million to spend on a free agent or draft QB.

Seriously. It isn't about Taysom or Jameis.

As it is, we will have to cut or trade valuable players to get under the lower 2021 cap. We may not even have the cap space to afford the mandated salary of a late 1st round pick let alone the draft capitol or cap to move up.

One estimate says we will have to cut 100 million from the current roster to get under the new cap.

COVID 19 has placed us in a tough situation that even Loomis magic can't fix.

The League may have to step in and jury-rig the cap formula to save teams from having to gut themselves.

There won't be 15, 10 or even 5 million to spend on a free agent or draft QB.

we’re not in a good piece of work with the cap obviously. This roster won’t look remotely the same next year. We are gonna have all of our draft picks probably starting and Udfa. I didn’t think about maybe the league stepping in....I was just wondering how in the world would we even figure it out....we’re dirt poor.

I honestly don't see the Saints affording 15-20 per year if that's the price. To pay something like that they need at least 3 years to spread it out. Preferably 4. Things in 2022 are pretty tight too. I don't think a commitment like that is smart at all.

For the Saints to sign Jameis I think it has to be very cheap short term, or a long term deal.
So, how much do you plan on paying your starting QB? Either Taysom or Winston is going to get at least $15-$18 million by season's end. It is more an issue of structure such to reduce the 2021 cap hit (i.e. incentives).

So, how much do you plan on paying your starting QB? Either Taysom or Winston is going to get at least $15-$18 million by season's end. It is more an issue of structure such to reduce the 2021 cap hit (i.e. incentives).

They are already paying Tasyom. You have no choice but to have that in the books. You can't recoup it. You are talking about new money with Jameis. Money you have to make room for. 15 mill is a lot of money this year to make room for. They can sign a 4 year 15 mil/yr deal and spread it out on the back 2 years or something, but I doubt Jameis gets or wants a long term deal like that.

Maybe they'll just go hardcore void years or something. I just don't think it's worth the trouble if that's the cost with their situation. Just wait till you can make a better move next year and let your cap clear up. Jameis will get another shot and may be good but I don't think he's the best QB option out there on the market and the same will be true next year.

I'd like him to compete but within the goals of our team. I don't think we should change our team's goals to get Jameis.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom