N/S Potential result of Roughing Passer rule. Texans/Cowboys observation (1 Viewer)

GTSaint

Really?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Watching the Texans/Cowboys game. There has been at least 4 times where Watt or Clowney had a clear shot to sack Dak, but they let up, or moved to the side to try to arm tackle. Results were failed sack attempts where Dak was able to scramble and make plays. Once while being arm tackled, he threw the ball for a first down. Those guys have to be frustrated. If they are going to keep that crazy roughing the passer rule, they need to re-institute “in the grasp.”

Last edited:
I watched another game last week. Can't remember which one maybe the chiefs. Anyway the defensive back had the quarterback dead to Rights and you could see him let up and just reach out with one arm to try to grab the quarterback instead of hitting him square on.

Of course the QB just wormed his way out of the arm tackle and threw a 20 yard strike down the field. In this day of hyper Athletic quarterbacks this is not making it easy for defenses. An arm tackle is not going to bring down a lot of these guys, but really hitting them is a penalty.

This has to be fixed.

I think you have to take the approach of continuing to play fast with the goal of hitting the QB but work on better form for tackling in the pocket, especially those situations if you are coming off the blitz and have the QB in your sights.

Have to think about how to structure the tackling drills for this world.

I'm not saying it's an easy thing but if it was up to me I'm looking for ways to continue to get the QB on the ground without getting a flag, but first and foremost he needs to get on the ground and I'll work around the risk of the flags depending on he crew calling the game.

It's not the easiest job to be an official with the speed of the game, even when you know what you are doing. But as far as the QB calls the blatant or flagrant fouls like spearing/leading with the helmet, facemasks/blow to head, going for the knees or intentionally driving them into the ground are pretty obvious.

Things outside those flagrant examples are mostly incidental the game or unintentional...they come with the risk of playing this game. It should't be so hard to get this right.

In general for years the league has just done an awful job of muddying up the rules to the detriment of the game an watch-ability. I think it has contributed a bit to the ratings decline but so far as I can tell the league continues to earn bazillions of dollars, so until such a time as they really feel something there nothing is going to change.

Last edited:
@ least the avg age of the officials is now below Soc Sec eligibility!

OP, I saw the same as well, there was one play where "Prescott showed his strength fighting off Clowney" where Clowney clearly checked up trying to avoid a roughing call.

QBs should be subject to the same type of tackling as any other player, they're football players too!

OP, I saw the same as well, there was one play where "Prescott showed his strength fighting off Clowney" where Clowney clearly checked up trying to avoid a roughing call.

QBs should be subject to the same type of tackling as any other player, they're football players too!

Right! Typical of the announcers, they were not seeing it or just weren’t going to talk about the real reason Prescott was able to break away.

I felt like the Texans were being handcuffed because those 2 rushers are the heart and soul of their defense. If they would have allowed themselves to let loose (and been allowed by the refs), the game would not have been that close. Level the playing field and just put flags on the QBs. :rolleyes:

Right! Typical of the announcers, they were not seeing it or just weren’t going to talk about the real reason Prescott was able to break away.

I felt like the Texans were being handcuffed because those 2 rushers are the heart and soul of their defense. If they would have allowed themselves to let loose (and been allowed by the refs), the game would not have been that close. Level the playing field and just put flags on the QBs. :rolleyes:

I get it people pay big money to see big name QBs...but people also pay big money to see big name DEs sack big name QBs.

The league is going to one extreme so that the players association will say, "change that rule". Then the NFL has limited their liability for all concussion/injury lawsuits thereafter.

Watching the Texans/Cowboys game. There has been at least 4 times where Watt or Clowney had a clear shot to sack Dak, but they let up, or moved to the side to try to arm tackle. Results were failed sack attempts where Dak was able to scramble and make plays. Once while being arm tackled, he threw the ball for a first down. Those guys have to be frustrated. If they are going to keep that crazy roughing the passer rule, they need to re-institute “in the grasp.”

Excellent post. Thx

Some QB's like Dak have already figured it out, avoiding a sack is easier than it used to be. Big plays can come from pass rushers backing off at the last second for fear of drawing a roughing the QB penalty. The whole thing is just not right.

The league is going to one extreme so that the players association will say, "change that rule". Then the NFL has limited their liability for all concussion/injury lawsuits thereafter.

I've never heard this before. But you could be spot on. Fascinating idea. Thx

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom