Potential rule change prohibits RBs from lowering their heads (1 Viewer)

What the fools at the NFL don't seem to get is that there is a difference between a RB lowering his head and leading with his head. By legislating out both the former and the latter, that will lead to massive injuries.

What the fools at the NFL don't seem to get is that there is a difference between a RB lowering his head and leading with his head. By legislating out both the former and the latter, that will lead to massive injuries.

You hit the nail on the head, an upright running back will lead to even shorter careers.

Just imagine a ball carrier running upright like Eric Dickerson. How long would it take before they have a major neck injury from the whiplash of not being able to protect yourself.

Bingo!

This was my first thought as well.

[Altho I was thinking "whiplash and/or a major neck injury to the spinal cord".]

These rule changes are all for show.

Much like the idea of widening the field (thereby making it harder to get out of bounds and exposing people to even more hits), all these rule changes have unintended consequences that could be worse then not changing it at all.

Even the two year old kickoff rule could be causing more injuries. I'd like to see a study on it since kneeling it in the endzone and starting at the 20 vs. allowing returns to shorten the field means more offensive snaps on average. More snaps could mean more injuries.

When you tell an 8 year old kid to lower their head but at the same time tell everyone else to always keep your head up it's sending the wrong signal. We care about everyone else but the running back, just get your yards.

More injuries are caused by lowering your head, they can do whatever they want in the pros, but I think it is wrong for coaches at younger levels to coach that way. Head up when tackling, but head down when running?!?

This would be devastating for guys like Ivory. The cost of tackling him is enduring pain. When he lowers his helmet and pile drives into a LB or DB's chest, that's not a load they want to take-on.

So let me get this straight. QB's can get away with tucking and no fumble, they also can get roughing the passer called on them, but no protection for RB's? What a joke.

Coach: 'You're getting too low, son! You want to hit that hole standing tall!'

:idunno:

Ok quick question but first a video:

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sd4ulN2cwkA" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

So if reviewing film brought 34 plays in question (in one week), are we saying that in the officials split second decision we could have 29 wrong calls per week on this call alone?

High school football is going to become more entertaining. But hey, it's not like the NFL hasn't had us getting use to getting the flags pulled.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom