Potential Saints first round option Alec Ogletree defines risk/reward pick (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

NEW ORLEANS -- One player continues to intrigue me in this year's draft but he comes with a "buyer beware'' tag. His name is Alec Ogletree, a 6-3, 232-pound linebacker who is bypassing his senior season at the University of Georgia.

He might be just what the New Orleans Saints need in their defensive front 7 as they transition to a 3-4 under first-year coordinator Rob Ryan.

Ogletree, 21, has all the physical qualities the Saints are looking for in a young, pass rushing outside linebacker (4.62 seconds in the 40) or an inside player who also can stay on the field in pass coverage.

BUT ...

Brian Allee Walsh

TruSaint

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
idk if he would be a good pass rush, maybe a blitzer but idk if he has any real pass rush moves, he seems like a 4-3 sideline to sideline linebacker to me.

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's been long since I have been writing about him. As an athlete he reminds me a lot to Clay Mathews Jr.

We know at least that even just for homework, Rick Venturi has grilled him to see the kind of guy he is.

He may not be a polished rush linebacker like others we have wrote about, but certainly he can be our answer to the runs off-tackle that have bite us so many times, and also a good option both covering and against the option.

A very complete player, that at least deserves a strong consideration from the saints.

TruSaint

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
what was he doing drinking and driving a week before the combine? Dont like that

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
Dude doesn't get off blocks well enough for my tastes. But techniques can be learned. Physical tools are substantial. There's too much talent in this draft. We are gonna come away with at minimum a dynamic talent.

Whether they put it together to become a guy that lives in our opponent's backfield is another matter.

Bala Lowkz

Who Dat Supporter.!!
Reaction score
I could care less about these "character issues". The question is "can he play ball"? Yes. Is he some thug? No. Is he some depraved lunatic? No. Pick him up. With a strong veteran cast that will set him straight he will have to tools to succeed.

SaintsJunkie

BREES HOF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
on the field there is no buyer beware, he would be a great pick and probably play inside or outside, but did have a dui not long ago and may have test piece of work for drugs at combine

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I could care less about these "character issues". The question is "can he play ball"? Yes. Is he some thug? No. Is he some depraved lunatic? No. Pick him up. With a strong veteran cast that will set him straight he will have to tools to succeed.
Yes. He can play ball. He could legitimately start at all four linebacker positions. He could play strong safety, and free safety in a pinch. Heck, I'd line him up at corner in an emergency situation. He just knows how to play football. But three separate incidents in three years has me questioning if he will be on the field enough. The suspension potential might be too high.

Rugger

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. He can play ball. He could legitimately start at all four linebacker positions. He could play strong safety, and free safety in a pinch. Heck, I'd line him up at corner in an emergency situation. He just knows how to play football. But three separate incidents in three years has me questioning if he will be on the field enough. The suspension potential might be too high.
It is crazy. I was just talking to a Georgia expert about how he would fit on the saints. Former safety that can catch, blitz, tackle, play the run, make plays, make players around him better.

Na do not want. I like our non playmaking staples on our defense.

Saints addic

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
So tell me again why Jarvis Jones is touted as being better than this guy? This guys seems like more of a sure thing than Jones.

cwesleyc

Playoffs?!!?
Reaction score
This guy is a "tackle 8 yards down the field" kind of player that will get pushed all over the field in the NFL. He can't take on blocks. His highlights aren't even that impressive. He might make an OK coverage backer. He looks like a 3rd rounder to me. He also has off the field concerns. DO NOT WANT.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So tell me again why Jarvis Jones is touted as being better than this guy? This guys seems like more of a sure thing than Jones.
Jones has a larger sample size of consistent quality play. And he has a single position he slots to. He accumulated the flashy stats like sacks and tackles for loss. Ogletree impacted the game in less glamorous ways. But the defense changed when he and Rambo returned from suspension. The guy can play.

Saints addic

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Jones has a larger sample size of consistent quality play. And he has a single position he slots to. He accumulated the flashy stats like sacks and tackles for loss. Ogletree impacted the game in less glamorous ways. But the defense changed when he and Rambo returned from suspension. The guy can play.
I'm just concerned about Jones' work ethic and commitment at the NFL level. You can't just show up and play without putting in work.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It is crazy. I was just talking to a Georgia expert about how he would fit on the saints. Former safety that can catch, blitz, tackle, play the run, make plays, make players around him better.

Na do not want. I like our non playmaking staples on our defense.
:ezbill:

fr3sh

A $ A P
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ogletree is a freak athlete. Extremely quick acceleration, good recovery speed...once his aim is on you, yikes. He can definitely play some football. Kind of reminds me of a younger, quicker Adalius Thomas. The guy that played every position for the Ravens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saint Lattimore Saints Potential Trade Targets? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
Pete Carroll elaborates on potential Antonio Brown interest Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Titans Face Potential Fine for COVID Violations (Will Not lose Draft Picks) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
CSC’s Fantasy Start/Sit: Saints vs. Bears Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interview with the Enemy: Turnover battle, collapsing the pocket key to Saints vs. Bears win Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints mix and match offensive line has maintained its high standard despite challenges Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees Talks Bears Defense, Offensive Game Plan| Saints-Bears Week 8 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Alvin Kamara on Saints Offensive Line, Weekly Routine | Saints-Bears Week 8 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Marcus Davenport on Hurricane Zeta, Saints Run Defense | Saints-Bears Week 8 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette New Orleans Saints: 4 bold predictions for Week 8 vs. Bears SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette LISTEN: Ben Linsey of PFF on Why Saints Secondary Has Been So Bad SR News Page Articles 0
Demario Davis' daughter lost her eye to cancer. This is how it changed the Saints LB and his family. Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Walker: Saints reflect on Hurricane Zeta, while looking ahead to overcome latest distraction Saints RSS News Feeds 0
The Edge: Assessing how New Orleans Saints, Chicago Bears stack up for Week 8 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Bears Thursday injury report: Michael Thomas returns to practice Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Thomas (ankle/hammy) back at practice Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints-Bears Injury Reports: Thomas, Callaway return to practice on limited basis Thursday Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees Almost Never Throws Deep Anymore. Is That A Problem For The Saints? It hasn’t been so far. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Saints WR Michael Thomas returns to practice, Marquez Callaway goes through stretching Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Michael Thomas returns to practice for the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If Covid postponed Bucs-Giants, Brown can’t play vs. Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
2 daily fantasy players from Week 8: Saints vs Bears Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints @ Bears: Key Matchups - if the Saints can’t slow the Bears offense, we have a problem Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Hurricane knocks out power at Saints' facility Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints rookie roundup: UDFA wide receiver impresses Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints WR Emmanuel Sanders said he had a 102-degree fever; will miss Bears game due to coronavirus Saints RSS News Feeds 1
jasonsw What are the keys to victory for Saints vs. Bears week 8 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 28
The Saints should pursue a trade for LB Myles Jack of the Jags (Mod Edit: Suggestion, not rumor) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
CSC Staff Picks Week 8: Saints expected to handle Nick Foles and the Bears Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Tik Toks..... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Dan in Lafayette AUDIO: Sean Payton breaks down Saints success in the two-minute drill SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette New Orleans Saints vs. Chicago Bears | NFL Week 8 Game Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette New Orleans Saints run defense presents formidable wall SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints X-Factors in Week 8 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints vs Bears Wednesday Injury Report SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Defense vs. Bears Offense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
woohoosaint Running errands with Saints legends: Archie Manning Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
ktmoze Saints Defense vs. Bears Offense Preview Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Saints at Bears Wednesday injury report: Marquez Callaway, Michael Thomas do not practice Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DomePatrol2005 Bo Jackson says he would run 350+ on Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 121
Saints-Bears Injury Reports: Michael Thomas, Marquez Callaway sidelined Wednesday Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Week 8: Saints Wednesday Injury Report Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 37
Three Saints receivers absent from Wednesday's practice, Nick Easton returns Saints RSS News Feeds 0
guillermo Belichick (and Parcells) on coaching Lawrence Taylor (kind of saints related) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Saints staying home as Hurricane Zeta comes through New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Film Room: Breaking down the 5 most important plays from Sunday Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Film Study: How Saints QB Brees turned in a vintage performance without top receivers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Who should be Fox Game of The Week: Saints/Bears or Seahawks/49ers? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 22
Overreactions from the Saints Week 5 game against the Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints unchanged in Week 8 Power Rankings despite divisional win over Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0