Pre Free Agency 2013 Offseason Mock (to help pass time) (1 Viewer)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Here something to help pass time until tomorrow.

NOTE: Player Comparison are just players who are very similar to the prospect; not saying any of these guys will be the same player. They are just there to give you an idea of who the prospect compares well in terms of skill set and measurables.

Resign all RFAs.

Walk in FA:
Ellis
Henderson
Shanle
Roby
McBride
Casillas

Cuts:
Will Smith - no real role in new defense and has to take too big a paycut to accept.
Will Herring - too much money for a special teams player who has not been very good at that lately.
Mack - was a great zone nickel but is not a very good fit for man coverage and bump and run.
Roman Harper - probably would rather get cut and test the market than take a paycut.

Paycut:

Jonathan Vilma - He realizes that he may not even get another shot on another team after the stuff he had to go through last season and just takes a huge paycut to stay with where he is loved by his coaches.

Free Agent signings:

Jermon Bushrod - After testing the market, he realizes his true worth and resigns with the Saints at a fair price for both sides.

Tracy Porter - He comes back to NO to win another ring after testing a very dry market in a market full of other CBs. He only comes on a 1-2 year deal. He can play Nickel and compete for the #2 CB spot. The deal would probably be very incentive based.

Victor Butler- He and Tez compete for the OLB spot across Galette. Maybe they can split reps with Tez taking pass coverage and run stopping reps.

Anthony Fasano - Great run blocker who is an average receiving TE. We don't really need a dominant receiving TE with all the weapons we already have. Great pickup for a #2 TE.

Dan Skuta - A top 10 special teams tackler for a fairly cheap deal.

2013 Mock Draft:

1. Desmond Trufant - Rated by many (including me) as the best pure MAN coverage corner. He gives Rob Ryan a potential shutdown corner to put on #1 receivers and let Greer and Robinson go against easier competition (#2 WRs). He also has great ball skills and is Marcus and Isiah Trufant's little bro. He could give us a ton of versatility in the back end and could be a top 5 corner in a few years in a man coverage system.

Player Comparison: Prime Champ Bailey

Desmond-Trufant-533x300.jpg

3. Steadman Bailey WR - solidifies our WR unit for a long time and give us a potential #1 WR. He has legit burner speed and could be a Mike Wallace kind of player. He has great hands evident 114 receptions for 1,622 yards and 25 touchdowns in 2012.

Player Comparison: Prime Chad Johnson

uspw_6776118_crop_exact.jpg

4. Brandon Williams NT - Gives us a potential starter and great depth at the on the front 3. Dominated at a small school and posted the most bench press reps for a DT in the combine.

Player Comparison: Prime Casey Hampton

217885_383311475088882_1347270069_n.jpg

5. Joe Vellano DE-
A great player to compete with Hicks for 3-4 RDE. A huge impact against the run and still decent against the run.He totaled 61 tackles, 14 tackles for a loss and six sacks in 2012 and had 94 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss, 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and four passes broken up in 2011.He also had 63 tackles, 10.5 tackles for a loss, five sacks and one forced fumble in 2010.

Player Comparison: Prime Mike DeVito

ncf_a_joevellano_cmg_400.jpg

6. Quanterus Smith OLB - Potential 1st round talent that falls because of an ACL tear. He dominated against Alabama and would be a real steal if he can get back to the same play he was at before the injury. He can take his time healing and when he does finishing healing completely he can come in and compete for an OLB spot. He recorded 12.5 sacks and had 38 tackles with 18.5 tackles for a loss and three forced fumbles in 2012.

Player Comparison: Prime Jevon Kearse

5051f8b3d93dd.image.jpg

Final Depth Chart:

QB: Brees, Daniel
RB: Ingram, Thomas, Sproles, Ivory
FB: Collins
WR:Colston, Stedman Bailey, Moore, Morgan, Toon, Cadet
TE: Graham, Anthony Fasano, Higgins
RT: Strief, Jones
RG: Evans, Tiller
C: De La Puente
LG: Grubbs, Olsen
LT: Bushrod, Brown
LDE: Hicks, Joe Vellano, Johnson
NT: Bunkley, Brandon Williams
RDE: Jordan, Walker
LOLB: Wilson, Victor Butler, Broughton
LILB: Vilma, Hawthorne, Skuta
RILB: Lofton, Chamberlain
ROLB: Galette, Quanterus Smith
CB: Desmond Trufant, Greer, Tracy Porter, Robinson
SS: Abdul-Quddus, White
FS: Jenkins, Bush
P:Morstead
K: Hartley
LS: Drescher

BOLD = new additions

A couple things:

1. Im not the one who red thumbed u
2. I really like the trufant pick
3. stedman bailey isnt really a burner, he ran a 4.52, by comparison ingram ran a 4.6, mike wallace runs a 4.33 and greg jennings a 4.42. but anyway i compare him to a slower jennings because wallace is just a speed guy while jennings is quick and a good route runner.
4. Akiem Hicks is our strong side left defensive end, not right, that is cam jordan
5. i like the smith pick
6. Vilma wont be a starter, way too small for a 3-4 MLB and might not be on the team.
7. I love Anthony Fasano and he would be a great pickup.

Ya vilma would only see the field in nickel situations since we would then have a 4 man front to keep him clean, unlike the 3-4

I like that draft, I would be very happy with that

A couple things:

3. stedman bailey isnt really a burner, he ran a 4.52, by comparison ingram ran a 4.6, mike wallace runs a 4.33 and greg jennings a 4.42. but anyway i compare him to a slower jennings because wallace is just a speed guy while jennings is quick and a good route runner.
4. Akiem Hicks is our strong side left defensive end, not right, that is cam jordan
5. i like the smith pick
Stedman Bailey's game speed is WAY faster than his combine speed. IDK why he ran it at 4.5.

Stedman Bailey's game speed is WAY faster than his combine speed. IDK why he ran it at 4.5.

Well I think his combine speed was his true speed, the reason bailey looks so fast is because he is quick and is a great route runner quick in and out of his cuts, which can make u look faster than u are, jerry rice didnt have a good 40 time at all but he was lightning quick, 40 times are overrated i dont want my WR to only go deep, Bailey is a great WR and i like him.

just like people like vontaze burifict and brandon spikes, ran like 5.0 40's but are fast on the field because of good footwork and instincts, 40's are sooo overrated.

Well I think his combine speed was his true speed, the reason bailey looks so fast is because he is quick and is a great route runner quick in and out of his cuts, which can make u look faster than u are, jerry rice didnt have a good 40 time at all but he was lightning quick, 40 times are overrated i dont want my WR to only go deep, Bailey is a great WR and i like him.
I fixed Hicks and Jordan. Thanks. I originally had Ed Reed but took him out to keep the cap situation and pickups more realistic.

I think Harper stays and Vilma goes and someone takes Ivory for a 4th.

I fixed Hicks and Jordan. Thanks. I originally had Ed Reed but took him out to keep the cap situation and pickups more realistic.

Ya good idea, plus im fine with jenkins, he was used all wrong and still think he can be that freak he was about to become, but harper... i give up... lol

I knew you were gonna pick Trufant once I saw your new avatar.

A couple things:

5. i like the smith pick
6. Vilma wont be a starter, way too small for a 3-4 MLB and might not be on the team.
7. I love Anthony Fasano and he would be a great pickup.
Greg Jennings is a very good comparison but I think Chad Johnson is the best one I can think of. IMO he can be a burner in our system and could be a real threat because of his elite hands and reliability.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom