Pre-season Meachem stat predictions (1 Viewer)

I might as well take a shot at Meach's stats:

60 catches, 789 yards, and 6 TD's

Amen, brother!

I suck at the numbers game, so I won't play.

But I do want to say that M.Colston is a known commodity in the league while R.Meachem is an unknown. Meach might do very, very well at the beginning of the season as Colston gets 2-timed by DBs. Colston's numbers would then look very pedestrian while Meachem's look like what we've all been waiting for since last year's draft.

Mid-Season would bring a balance in DBs coverage (read: indecision on who to cover best) of our two receivers as they start to see Meachem as a threat as well. And that is when we are going to kick the door open on the NFL... with authority.

Whatever attention R.Meachem and M.Colston receive from defenses, let us never forget the "underneath" guys that can gash for short yardage and big YAC numbers. One football and 5-6 options-weapons-players to go to will be a most enjoyable problem to have in 2008 and I feel Meachem will contribute his share this year.

No, I won't play the pre-season numbers game but if Robert Meachem catches one ball for one yard.... he has just doubled his stats from last year. And that is one more yard closer to the Saints going to the Superbowl.

The end.

Nice...amen to that! I agree, and I won't guess at numbers either!

WHO DAT!?

20 catches, 409 yards and 3 TD's would be very disappointing for Meachem, IMO. That's less than 1.5 catches a game. As much as we pass, that would be pretty sad.

I agree with you and that's why I wrote the rest of what I did in my message. Notice I put "IF's" and "Maybe's" in there. I'm hoping he lights things up, but he's not going to take balls away from Colston and even if he develops into what we "HOPE" that only means he will get what Henderson was going to get thrown at him and possibly what Patten is. If he starts the season out as the #3 WR, I don't see how Brees is going to start his reads with Meachem....hence him filling the #3 spot. A QB goes through his progression and most of the time that is going to start with the #1 WR, unless it's a play designed for the RB off the screen or to the TE for a short yardage gain.

I will with hold from putting up any Meechum numbers until we see him in Training camp... talking about it right now is really just because we're all bored out our minds with the slowness of this part of the year and we can't wait till the draft and TC. I or someone else will repost this thread during training camp and we will see from there some "real" realistic predictions....

I just think it's ludicrous that some people here are putting so many eggs into the Meachem basket. Look, if the coaching staff were so sure about his being the #2 receiver, do you really think they would have re-signed Patten, Henderson, and Copper? Maybe a couple of them, but I'm not sure about all three. Furthermore, people are acting like the only reason he didn't play last year was due to injury. Well, if it had been due to injury, don't you think he would have been put on injured reserve at some point, rather than continuing to use up a roster spot? The reason he wasn't playing was more likely because he was in the doghouse - he was out of shape, not performing in practice, not learning the playbook - something like that. I'm not saying Meachem is going to be a bust, not yet, but I think we should not be expecting anything out of him. If he contributes something, that's great, but I don't think we should be thinking he's going to be some sort of dominant, or even serviceable, second receiver this year. The best I can imagine is that he'll split time with Devery as the third receiver.

I suppose you didn't see the comments from Loomis, and Patten regarding meachem.. From loomis, he's going to be great..

from Patten, telling loomis and company, they made the right pick with that guy..

from that endzone catch, and the spanking he put on some touted cb's his Jr year..
Just saying.... he learns the plays by getting the reps.. coach said about mid way that he was finally seeing some of the gait in his running, and was pleased with him runing on the scout team.. (scout team., not running our playbook) yes, he had a huge learning curve coming from Tennesee to our offense.. and he didn't have the chance to get the reps needed at full speed.

they still had an outside chance at the playoffs when he was good enough to play, and they didnt' want to mess with the chemistry of it.

i'd say, things probably be more patten at start of the season, with meachem being more so of a target than devery was last year. wait, devery started at 2, got demoted, then lance moore had that spot for..
think that he's going to line up more of z, colston being x or is that backwards? patten going to y, although these may be interchanged, and whichever the play calls for the reads will get the progression.. it's not 1st 2nd, 3rd based on rank.

what i'm wanting to hear, is brees and him working extra time on there timing. that would make me ecstatic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom