Predict the Thomas extension (1 Viewer)

I don't think he's taking less than OBJ got last year. I'm going with 5 years/100 mil, 70 guaranteed.

A five year extension would be a mistake imo. Drew won't make it another five years and do you want your team paying a WR in the $20M/year without a QB that can reliably get him the ball? I wouldn't.

A five year extension would be a mistake imo. Drew won't make it another five years and do you want your team paying a WR in the $20M/year without a QB that can reliably get him the ball? I wouldn't.
From everything coming out of the workouts and camp so far, Teddy Bridgewater really shined when Drew was in California in court.

I don't think he's taking less than OBJ got last year. I'm going with 5 years/100 mil, 70 guaranteed.

Thomas is also not taking less than Julio Jones will get on his current restructure. Your figures are the starting point.

Of course, if the team wants to keep Thomas, they gotta get the deal done ASAP. After the 2019 season is over, a desperate team will be able to easily outbid the Saints for MT's services. The Saints save money by extending him this summer. Going to come down to that guaranteed money figure and how enticing that really is for Thomas. Plus any loyalty he may or may not feel for the team and the city ... intangibles might come into play, though I doubt they save the Saints appreciable money in negotiations.

In the recent past, I wasn't sure at all that the Saints would even try to extend or re-sign Thomas at all. Don't know what's going on at Saints HQ in the here and now, though. Is there a workable, affordable Patriot-Way master plan to keep ALL the Saints' good young talent? Guess we'll see.

Of course, if the team wants to keep Thomas, they gotta get the deal done ASAP. After the 2019 season is over, a desperate team will be able to easily outbid the Saints for MT's services.
Teams have until the start of Free Agency, which is March 18th, to sign their own unrestricted free agents so even if they don't extend Thomas this year they still have time in 2020 before other teams can approach him about joining their team.

Seems like it’s getting close and he’s going to be the highest paid receiver in nfl history

It might be a good signing. As you said Drew will not last that long, maybe but it should be easier to trade him since in 2 or 3 years 18-20 million will not be so bad. Look at all the teams wanting to sign OBJ.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom