2. Tedd Ginn Jr
3. Tre'Quan Smith
4. Keith Kirkwood
5. Cyryl Grayson
6. Deonte Harris

PS
7. Emmanuel Butler
8. "Lil" Jordan Humphrey

5 through 8 is really tough to predict. You could draw their names and have has much chance getting it rigjt.

Last edited:

Cajun Chat

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Thomas
Tre'Quan Smith
Ted Ginn Jr.
Keith Kirkwood
Austin Carr
Deonte Harris (RS)

Not my picks, just my prediction.
I'd like to see Butler make it but I think this is what will happen also. We will try to stash him on PS but someone will get him.

dutar76

4th Year Vet
Reaction score
I'm bringing Butler up to my WRs that make it. And against everything I've said here on SR... Carr is the guy we let go.

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm bringing Butler up to my WRs that make it. And against everything I've said here on SR... Carr is the guy we let go.
How do you let a guy go who's caught everything that's been thrown at him this preseason? I don't think he, or Simme Cobbs have had a drop this preseason.

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
My top 10:

1. Thomas - lock
2. Ginn - lock
3. Smith - lock but maybe as the 4th
4. Butler - lock maybe as the 3rd
5. Carr - lock cause we need slot guys and coach & Drew like him. Hell he might be the 3rd
6. Kirkwood - practice squad or PUP; hurt
7. Grayson - I think he has a shot to make it cause I think Kirkwood is gonna be on the practice squad. Don’t think anyone will want Kirkwood. We need speed & slot types cause we have enough big targets; practice squad
8. Cobbs - practice squad until Kirkwood is healthy
9. Harris - he will likely make it as our return guy until we see what we got in Sherels
10. Lil’Jordan - practice squad if one or 2 of the others get picked up

Last edited:

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
I don’t get all the Kirkwood love. He had an decent rookie camp. He made the practice squad and cause of necessity was added to the main roster. He had 13 catches for 209 yards and 2 TDs in 8 games with 1 start. Not the greatest stat line IMO.

This camp he’s been hurt the whole time. Emmanuel Butler took advantage and has had a great camp with guys like Drew Brees throwing him the ball on a daily basis. He’s 22 compared to Kirkwood already being 24. I think he took Kirkwood’s spot on the 53 man roster. I think we put Kirkwood on the practice squad and I don’t think anyone will want him. Or we put him on IR or PUP if we want to keep him and think he will be picked up.

Tre’Quan Smith is a lock cause he’s a second year 3rd round pick. He had a decent year for a rookie.

Austin Carr made this roster opening day last year and I believe he was the slot guy/3rd receiver in that first game. He didn’t have the greatest year, but coach & Drew seem to like him very much. We need slot guys just like last year, so I think he’s a lock. Unless they like Cyril Grayson more than him due to his speed. I would like that to be the case, but I doubt it.

Deonte Harris will make this team, but strictly as a return guy. I doubt you will see him on offense at all this year. So he counts as a receiver, but we may keep more than usual due to the fact that Harris is mainly gonna be on special teams.

Bloop

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah he had one bad drop vs the Jets but that dosen't mean he wont make this team. He also made some great grabs too. He has excellent size and measurables you can't teach.
Also had a drop last game and pretty much every other practice since his return from injury

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Things became a lot clearer tonight on this topic. I believe the Saints will either keep 4 tight ends & 5 receivers, or keep 3 tight ends & 6 receivers. And don't fool yourselves ladies & gents. When the talent difference is this close it comes down to age & MONEY. And 2.5 million is a heck of a lot more than 0.5 million, especially when there are other mouths to feed on this team.
IF the Saints keep 4 tight ends
1) Jared Cook
2) Josh Hill
3) Derby
4) Arnold
They will keep 5 WRs
1) Thomas
2) Smith
3) Butler
4) Carr
5) Harris
If the Saints keep 3 tight ends
1) Cook
2) Hill
3) Arnold
They will keep 6 Wrs
1) Thomas
2) Smith
3) Butler
4) Carr
5) Harris
6) Kirkwood/Ginn
My money is on Kirkwood although neither has been stellar throughout camp. Why? Bigger, stronger, better blocker, younger, & last, but certainly not least, CHEAPER.

Last edited:

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Things became a lot clearer tonight on this topic. I believe the Saints will either keep 4 tight ends & 5 receivers, or keep 3 tight ends & 6 receivers. And don't fool yourselves ladies & gents. When the talent difference is this close it comes down to age & MONEY. And 2.5 million is a heck of a lot more than 0.5 million, especially when there are other mouths to feed on this team.
IF the Saints keep 4 tight ends
1) Jared Cook
2) Josh Hill
3) Derby
4) Arnold
They will keep 5 WRs
1) Thomas
2) Carr
3) Butler
4) Cobbs
5) Harris
If the Saints keep 3 tight ends
1) Cook
2) Hill
3) Arnold
They will keep 6 Wrs
1) Thomas
2) Carr
3) Butler
4) Cobbs
5) Harris
6) Kirkwood/Ginn
My money is on Kirkwood although neither has been stellar throughout camp. Why? Bigger, stronger, better blocker, younger, & last, but certainly not least, CHEAPER.
They’re not getting rid of Ginn for unproven rookies. And they won’t let Smith go. He was valuable last year but fell off due to lack of conditioning, mostly leg strength.

preseason games are so basic. I like the rookies also but they will make mistakes. That’s why Michael Thomas is so special. Few rookies can be that dialed in as he was.

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They’re not getting rid of Ginn for unproven rookies. And they won’t let Smith go. He was valuable last year but fell off due to lack of conditioning, mostly leg strength.

preseason games are so basic. I like the rookies also but they will make mistakes. That’s why Michael Thomas is so special. Few rookies can be that dialed in as he was.
OMG! its

Sorry, it's late. I edited. Smith is definitely in. He's the number two guy.

jessy

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Revised after Jets game.

1. Mike Thomas
2. Tedd Ginn Jr
3. Tre'Quan Smith
4. Emmanuel Butler
5. Deonte Harris - the punt return was awesome but the catch he made secured his spot on this team. It proved he’s a real WR and we don’t need to keep 7 WRs.
6. I honestly think it’s still open. Kirkwood, Carr, Bryant, Greyson, Simmie, Humphries, free agent?

I’d love to see Humphries make it to the practice squad. I can’t believe he didn’t get one target yesterday.

50_Saint

"Da Enligtened One"
Reaction score
Butler is the 4th WR on this team and Sean's other project.

MT
TGJr
TQS
EB
OPEN
Harris

We only carry 6 WR. I cant recall a time we carried 7 and with the RB's possibly going 4 deep 6 will be all.

Practice Squad

Lil Jordan
Cyril

Either Carr or KK will make the team but not both.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah he had one bad drop vs the Jets but that dosen't mean he wont make this team. He also made some great grabs too. He has excellent size and measurables you can't teach.
I see this all the time...when in fact Kirkwood is larger than Butler...faster (4.45 40 compared to Butler's 4.68 40 (at his pro day, it is the best time I could find, other sources had him running as bad as a 4.7) and has better quickness in the 10, 20 and cone and shuttle...

Butler actually doesn't have great measurables, really quite average, that doesn't mean he won't make the team...but it makes your statement above patently false.

Kirkwood gets love because he came in cold as a UDFA halfway through the season and made some nice catches, including a TD in the playoffs...I have no reason to believe he won't improve and for his size he has fantastic measurables...

I think Kirkwood could emerge as the #2 in time...call me crazy, I don't mind....

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I see this all the time...when in fact Kirkwood is larger than Butler...faster (4.45 40 compared to Butler's 4.68 40 (at his pro day, it is the best time I could find, other sources had him running as bad as a 4.7) and has better quickness in the 10, 20 and cone and shuttle...

Butler actually doesn't have great measurables, really quite average, that doesn't mean he won't make the team...but it makes your statement above patently false.

Kirkwood gets love because he came in cold as a UDFA halfway through the season and made some nice catches, including a TD in the playoffs...I have no reason to believe he won't improve and for his size he has fantastic measurables...

I think Kirkwood could emerge as the #2 in time...call me crazy, I don't mind....
Butler is 6'4 220 and Kirkwood is 6'3 215...so hes not bigger, also Kirkwood is also a 4.6 guy i dont know where you got him running a 4.4 but thats inaccurate also.

As someone poster before...the love of Kirkwood is unfounded as hes be thrust into a role that produced 12 catches last season out of necessity so to think he is an automatic roster lock is also questionable granted i think it bolds well that the Saints didnt draft or sign a WR in free agency or the draft would suggest the Saints are happy with the young talent on the roster and thats including Simmie Cobbs but i think that was before u covered gems in both Butler and Harris were plucked as UDFA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom