Predict the WR depth chart (1 Viewer)

They’re not getting rid of Ginn for unproven rookies. And they won’t let Smith go. He was valuable last year but fell off due to lack of conditioning, mostly leg strength.

preseason games are so basic. I like the rookies also but they will make mistakes. That’s why Michael Thomas is so special. Few rookies can be that dialed in as he was.
OMG! its
They’re not getting rid of Ginn for unproven rookies. And they won’t let Smith go. He was valuable last year but fell off due to lack of conditioning, mostly leg strength.

preseason games are so basic. I like the rookies also but they will make mistakes. That’s why Michael Thomas is so special. Few rookies can be that dialed in as he was.
Sorry, it's late. I edited. Smith is definitely in. He's the number two guy.

Revised after Jets game.

1. Mike Thomas
2. Tedd Ginn Jr
3. Tre'Quan Smith
4. Emmanuel Butler
5. Deonte Harris - the punt return was awesome but the catch he made secured his spot on this team. It proved he’s a real WR and we don’t need to keep 7 WRs.
6. I honestly think it’s still open. Kirkwood, Carr, Bryant, Greyson, Simmie, Humphries, free agent?

I’d love to see Humphries make it to the practice squad. I can’t believe he didn’t get one target yesterday.

Butler is the 4th WR on this team and Sean's other project.

MT
TGJr
TQS
EB
OPEN
Harris

We only carry 6 WR. I cant recall a time we carried 7 and with the RB's possibly going 4 deep 6 will be all.

Practice Squad

Lil Jordan
Cyril

Either Carr or KK will make the team but not both.

Yeah he had one bad drop vs the Jets but that dosen't mean he wont make this team. He also made some great grabs too. He has excellent size and measurables you can't teach.

I see this all the time...when in fact Kirkwood is larger than Butler...faster (4.45 40 compared to Butler's 4.68 40 (at his pro day, it is the best time I could find, other sources had him running as bad as a 4.7) and has better quickness in the 10, 20 and cone and shuttle...

Butler actually doesn't have great measurables, really quite average, that doesn't mean he won't make the team...but it makes your statement above patently false.

Kirkwood gets love because he came in cold as a UDFA halfway through the season and made some nice catches, including a TD in the playoffs...I have no reason to believe he won't improve and for his size he has fantastic measurables...

I think Kirkwood could emerge as the #2 in time...call me crazy, I don't mind....

I see this all the time...when in fact Kirkwood is larger than Butler...faster (4.45 40 compared to Butler's 4.68 40 (at his pro day, it is the best time I could find, other sources had him running as bad as a 4.7) and has better quickness in the 10, 20 and cone and shuttle...

Butler actually doesn't have great measurables, really quite average, that doesn't mean he won't make the team...but it makes your statement above patently false.

Kirkwood gets love because he came in cold as a UDFA halfway through the season and made some nice catches, including a TD in the playoffs...I have no reason to believe he won't improve and for his size he has fantastic measurables...

I think Kirkwood could emerge as the #2 in time...call me crazy, I don't mind....

Butler is 6'4 220 and Kirkwood is 6'3 215...so hes not bigger, also Kirkwood is also a 4.6 guy i dont know where you got him running a 4.4 but thats inaccurate also.

As someone poster before...the love of Kirkwood is unfounded as hes be thrust into a role that produced 12 catches last season out of necessity so to think he is an automatic roster lock is also questionable granted i think it bolds well that the Saints didnt draft or sign a WR in free agency or the draft would suggest the Saints are happy with the young talent on the roster and thats including Simmie Cobbs but i think that was before u covered gems in both Butler and Harris were plucked as UDFA.

Kirkwood is also a 4.6 guy i dont know where you got him running a 4.4 but thats inaccurate also.

I'm getting 4.46. He's a little bigger and a few ticks faster than TQS.

I like Kirkwood's potential. It's hardly fair to throw out stats of a raw rookie that played a few quarters with Mike and Kamara in the game.

Potential is what the pre-season is about. His measurables are good for his size, he has strong hands, is smart, fearless, confident, and really, really wants to play in the NFL.

Edit: After a better look in the Jets game, I'm on the Butler train. Even though he's slower than Kirkwood, his potential is higher due to his hands and body control. But, I think Kirky makes the 53 too.

Last edited:
Butler is 6'4 220 and Kirkwood is 6'3 215...so hes not bigger, also Kirkwood is also a 4.6 guy i dont know where you got him running a 4.4 but thats inaccurate also.

As someone poster before...the love of Kirkwood is unfounded as hes be thrust into a role that produced 12 catches last season out of necessity so to think he is an automatic roster lock is also questionable granted i think it bolds well that the Saints didnt draft or sign a WR in free agency or the draft would suggest the Saints are happy with the young talent on the roster and thats including Simmie Cobbs but i think that was before u covered gems in both Butler and Harris were plucked as UDFA.

Source? Or total BS?

Sources for Kirkwood:

Sources for Butler:

There are some minor discrepancies but Kirkwood is listed running a 4.45 by multiple sites (Canal St. Chronicles being one I trust most of all)...I can't find a site that has Butler running anything under a 4.68....

As for size Kirkwood and Butler are probably the same height with both are listed at 6'3" on the sites I've found and trust. And Kirkwood is consistantly listed at 220 with Butler being listed between 210 and 220...size difference is probably inconsequential but the 40 times and quickness drills undoubtedly favor Kirkwood....so you are quite wrong here...

As for the love of Kirkwood, just my feeling he will emerge, I like the way he does the little things, how he uses his body. His measurables are better than a lot of fans seem to want to believe and Butlers are much worse than most believe for some reason...we will see what happens. I'm fine with either of them emerging but I favor Kirkwood at this point....

I'm getting 4.46. He's a little bigger and a few ticks faster than TQS.

I like Kirkwood's potential. It's hardly fair to throw out stats of a raw rookie that played a few quarters with Mike and Kamara in the game.

Potential is what the pre-season is about. His measurables are good for his size, he has strong hands, is smart, fearless, confident, and really, really wants to play in the NFL.

Edit: After a better look in the Jets game, I'm on the Butler train. Even though he's slower than Kirkwood, his potential is higher due to his hands and body control. But, I think Kirky makes the 53 too.

Thanks, exactly how I feel about Kirkwood....

There won't be seven, there will be counting special teams. We carry 3 QBS and a full back. You need to pick 6 wrs counting Harris

Last edited:
There won't be seven, there will be counting special teams. We carry 3 QBS and a full back. You need to pick 6 wrs counting Harris

Line could be cut until things shake out. IIRC, Payton cut him last year. Line is a great player, but not many teams use FB's, so he's pretty safe on the street.

You have to have in my opinion 3 things for sure in a WR group

1- Possession receiver
2- Speed guy
3- Slot guy
this has always been SPs MO and i dont see it changing, so who fits in those slots? The only speed guy we have is Ginn and the only slot guy we have is Carr that i can see at this point. so those 2 are in as well as MT
1- Thomas
2- Ginn
3- Carr

Butler and Kirkwood are cut from the same mold so one will make the team, Smith is our second fastest true WR
4- Smith
5- Kirkwood/Butler

Kick returner/ Special teams
6- Harris

You have to have in my opinion 3 things for sure in a WR group

1- Possession receiver
2- Speed guy
3- Slot guy
this has always been SPs MO and i dont see it changing, so who fits in those slots? The only speed guy we have is Ginn and the only slot guy we have is Carr that i can see at this point. so those 2 are in as well as MT
1- Thomas
2- Ginn
3- Carr

Butler and Kirkwood are cut from the same mold so one will make the team, Smith is our second fastest true WR
4- Smith
5- Kirkwood/Butler

Kick returner/ Special teams
6- Harris

Kirkwood posted faster 40 times than Smith. Just saying.

I think Kirkwood and Butler can play slot, and Cook will make Slot less important.

Kirkwood posted faster 40 times than Smith. Just saying.

I think Kirkwood and Butler can play slot, and Cook will negate the need for a high level slot guy.
it doesnt seem like Butler and Kirkwoods speed translates to the field like Smiths does. we have always had the moore/snead slot guy that i think Carr fits. small, quick and reliable. I actually liked the way Harris looked on the route and catch he did. maybe look at him in the slot as well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom