Prediction: Comeback player of the year will be either Dak or Jameis (1 Viewer)

I believe it was/is a legitimate question. I’m not going to try and deny that I am not a fan of Jameis Winston, but I really don’t understand how he could qualify for CPOTY based on how things have gone for him.

"The National Football League Comeback Player of the Year Award refers to a number of awards that are given to a National Football League (NFL) player who has shown perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

I think a guy who loses his job, becomes a backup and then re-emerges as a top caliber player qualifies. Sure, injury returns are more sympathetic but I think the sports world has always appreciated a player who gets down and then fights his way back.

I think that if Jameis were to have the kind of year that would put him in consideration, the fact that he took veteran minimum to come to a backup job - and pretty much showed up every day ready to work, kept his head down, learned from greatness, kept doing things in the community . . . those things bear consideration for comeback player.

Yes, the award typically favors return from injury, illness, or similar - but I think it still envisions the possibility of a player turning his career around based purely on performance.

Dak is running away with this, mostly because of the nature of his injury, and partly because he's a Cowboy. End-of-season awards are a popularity contest, and the "best narrative" usually wins. Hence why Drew was snubbed for MVP a thousand times. The pics and video of Dak going down will be playing in a loop by award time unless his play falls off a cliff (and even then you can't guarantee it). Couple that with Hard Knocks access (I didn't watch but there's probably some good stuff in there) and it's all but done. And if his play last night is any indication, he'll have earned it, too!

It also helps that he's such a likeable guy. It's an easy vote.

Dak is running away with this, mostly because of the nature of his injury, and partly because he's a Cowboy. End-of-season awards are a popularity contest, and the "best narrative" usually wins. Hence why Drew was snubbed for MVP a thousand times. The pics and video of Dak going down will be playing in a loop by award time unless his play falls off a cliff (and even then you can't guarantee it). Couple that with Hard Knocks access (I didn't watch but there's probably some good stuff in there) and it's all but done. And if his play last night is any indication, he'll have earned it, too!

It also helps that he's such a likeable guy. It's an easy vote.
I agree but Dallas actually has to win.

Jameis isn't going to win it because he isn't coming back from anything. It'll either be Dak, Burrow, McCaffery, Barkley. The only way he can win it is if those guys get injured again or just have atrocious seasons.

Dak is the second highest paid player in the league and was paid AFTER his injury. Expectations were really high for him even before last night. I was impressed with his game last night. I've been impressed with a lot of his games. I've also watched him and wondered how he is an NFL QB. He's been wildly inconsistent throughout his career. There is a reason the award is comeback player of the year and not game. Plus the Cowboys should have had a 50 burger landed on their head last night if not for some really unusual turnovers and drops. If they don't fix that defense they wont win many games.

EVERYONE wrote Jameis off. If they both have similar seasons and both teams make the playoffs my money is on Jameis. I'd be willing to wager against both though.

Saquon could have the opportunity to put up a historic season after a really bad injury. C-Mac does so much that he has the capability to put up all around yardage and TD stats that are records.

After Burrow's injury, a middle of the pack season with a middle of the pack record is enough to put him to the top of consideration considering the team he is on. Anything better than that and he will be really difficult to beat.

Joe Mixon is another guy that could put up massive numbers but the only way I see that happening is if Burrow has a good season in which case Burrow would overshadow Mixon's performance.

Nick Bosa put up 10 sacks as a rookie in 14 games. He was really coming into his own towards the end of his rookie season then got hurt in game 2 of the 2020 season. If he stays healthy and the niners don't suck he could really make a run.

Matt Stafford is a sleeper. The guy has tons of talent and has never really been able to put it together which is not unexpected with the Lions organization. You have a vet QB that had a passer rating near 100 last season finally getting taking snapes with talent all around him for the first time in his career. He could be so good that the adversity of being traded off his career team and starting fresh could be enough to get him the award.

Last year nobody saw Alex Smith coming.

There are just so many good candidates that discussing any award after 1 game is pretty silly.

Tannehill is a maybe… IIRC, Tannehill had his final season in Miami cut short because of a knee injury.. then he went to Tennessee as a backup before taking over for Mariota and then winning CPOTY in 2018

He missed five games mid season in 2018 due to an arm injury. He came back and started the last six games of the season. He won come back player of the year in 2019 after taking over for Mariota the last 11 games. I don't know if you can call that "coming back from major injury" when he started the last six games of 2018. I wouldn't. I would call it coming back from being dumped by the Dolphins.

Dak is the second highest paid player in the league and was paid AFTER his injury. Expectations were really high for him even before last night. I was impressed with his game last night. I've been impressed with a lot of his games. I've also watched him and wondered how he is an NFL QB. He's been wildly inconsistent throughout his career. There is a reason the award is comeback player of the year and not game. Plus the Cowboys should have had a 50 burger landed on their head last night if not for some really unusual turnovers and drops. If they don't fix that defense they wont win many games.

EVERYONE wrote Jameis off. If they both have similar seasons and both teams make the playoffs my money is on Jameis. I'd be willing to wager against both though.

Saquon could have the opportunity to put up a historic season after a really bad injury. C-Mac does so much that he has the capability to put up all around yardage and TD stats that are records.

After Burrow's injury, a middle of the pack season with a middle of the pack record is enough to put him to the top of consideration considering the team he is on. Anything better than that and he will be really difficult to beat.

Joe Mixon is another guy that could put up massive numbers but the only way I see that happening is if Burrow has a good season in which case Burrow would overshadow Mixon's performance.

Nick Bosa put up 10 sacks as a rookie in 14 games. He was really coming into his own towards the end of his rookie season then got hurt in game 2 of the 2020 season. If he stays healthy and the niners don't suck he could really make a run.

Matt Stafford is a sleeper. The guy has tons of talent and has never really been able to put it together which is not unexpected with the Lions organization. You have a vet QB that had a passer rating near 100 last season finally getting taking snapes with talent all around him for the first time in his career. He could be so good that the adversity of being traded off his career team and starting fresh could be enough to get him the award.

Last year nobody saw Alex Smith coming.

There are just so many good candidates that discussing any award after 1 game is pretty silly.
I agree that it's far too early, but I doubt any of those gets a chance. Burrow would have to ball out and take *that* Bengals team to the playoffs, but he'd still get overshadowed if Dak does the same. Saquon or CMC would have to put videogame-like numbers to even enter consideration, and again it would be Dak's to lose. Matt Stafford would be coming back from... being a Lion, I guess? If he's in consideration, his votes go for OPOY or MVP in my opinion.

I actually recall Alex Smith being in the conversation much before WFT won the division. They really wanted to give it to him, again, because good narrative. Luckily for him, he got just enough playing time to get 98% of the votes.

And again, I agree that it's silly to discuss these things. It's pointless, but fun. :)

Don't go there, you know what you did. You couldn't resist throwing in "sketchy history of off-field issues.." which was unnecessary and has zero to do with him not winning this award and has zero to do with losing his job as a starting quarterback.

This whole putting your hands up in the air and pleading innocent every time you take a potshot at our quarterback is tiring. Just stop.
The fact that you automatically refer to his “sketchy history of off field issues” without any other mention of them should be a huge red flag. Not once was anything said pertaining to anything other than his play on the field and that is where YOU, his (seemingly) most staunch supporter took it. He will not win Comeback Player of the Year because he isn’t coming back from anything other than losing his job due to lack of productivity. I hope He has a phenomenal year and takes us to the promise land but there is no reason to to be so sensitive.

The fact that you automatically refer to his “sketchy history of off field issues” without any other mention of them should be a huge red flag. Not once was anything said pertaining to anything other than his play on the field and that is where YOU, his (seemingly) most staunch supporter took it. He will not win Comeback Player of the Year because he isn’t coming back from anything other than losing his job due to lack of productivity. I hope He has a phenomenal year and takes us to the promise land but there is no reason to to be so sensitive.

What? Did you actually read the thread? Another poster used those words, which I found irrelevant to the discussion that was being had. Read the thread and try again.

Ignore the gaslighting, @Nolan
Well, I'd be curious to go back and look at past years's posts about INTs, crab legs, W eatin', poking players in the head, rape accusations, off-field behavior, etc...

... but I am too lazy to do that.

In any case, that award is Dak's, unless Burrow does something great in Cincy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom