premade Roux in a jar question - Savoie (1 Viewer)

A buddy of mine (who is not from nola and is not really into cooking, so he is not going to attempt making a roux) has a jar of Savoie roux. He asked me to take a look at their suggested recipe, and it calls for 4 heaping tablespoons of roux for 4 qrts stock. I feel this is way too little roux, but I have never used the premade stuff. I would recommend him using at least a full cup of roux. Anyone have any experience with this stuff, or have any guidance?
Tell your buddy to make his own roux. It is really simple if you don't want to stir. Just takes a while longer.

if i wanted to make a lighter roux, not watery, but not molasses brown, recommended ratio of oil/flour or pre-made jar roux?

Making a lighter roux is not a function of oil:flour. It's a function of time. In general a lighter roux will provide more thickening than a darker roux. It depends on what you're using the roux for, like a gravy, or in a fricassee, a gumbo, etc.

Try this link: http://www.jfolse.com/fr_rouxs.htm

if i wanted to make a lighter roux, not watery, but not molasses brown, recommended ratio of oil/flour or pre-made jar roux?

For what purpose? If you want something like etouffee, you are going to want to use butter and flour for the light roux. Of course, I don't know the ratios anyway. So I guess it doesn't matter.

Making a lighter roux is not a function of oil:flour. It's a function of time. In general a lighter roux will provide more thickening than a darker roux. It depends on what you're using the roux for, like a gravy, or in a fricassee, a gumbo, etc.

awesome. thanks! i have a few john besh cookbooks and my mother-in-law's book of family recipes. she calls for 1/4 of both. for seafood i understand, but chicken and andouille. wanted to make oyster, shrimp, crab, etc. i can't find oysters. besh calls for 3/4 of both. i may try 2/5.

awesome. thanks! i have a few john besh cookbooks and my mother-in-law's book of family recipes. she calls for 1/4 of both. for seafood i understand, but chicken and andouille. wanted to make oyster, shrimp, crab, etc. i can't find oysters. besh calls for 3/4 of both. i may try 2/5.

If you are looking for cajun/creole recipes, check out this site. He seems to know what he is doing:

https://acadianatable.com/recipes/

@zeetes
Yep, and because a lighter roux has better thickening power, less will be needed for your goal (i.e. for etouffee vs. gumbo) . But I would still make the same amount you normally do just to make it easier, and use accordingly as you go to get to the right thickness.

John Folse is one of my favorite chefs, I have based many of my recipes off of his.

I was more impressed by the dedication he's shown by hand milling his wheat into flour using 2 small flat rocks blessed by John Folse.
Yep, and because a lighter roux has better thickening power, less will be needed for your goal (i.e. for etouffee vs. gumbo) . But I would still make the same amount you normally do just to make it easier, and use accordingly as you go to get to the right thickness.

John Folse is one of my favorite chefs, I have based many of my recipes off of his.
i've been to his estate a few times for crawfish boils. other than antipop's dad, some of the best i've had.

folse:

THE LIGHT BROWN CAJUN ROUX
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup flour
In a black iron pot or skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat to approximately 300 degrees F. Using a wooden roux spoon, slowly add the flour, stirring constantly until the roux is peanut butter in color, approximately two minutes. This roux is normally used to thicken vegetable dishes such as corn maque choux (shrimp, corn and tomato stew) or butter beans with ham. If
using this roux to thicken an etouffee, it will thicken approximately two quarts of liquid. If used to thicken seafood gumbo, it will thicken approximately two and a half quarts of stock.

i'll try this. thanks

Speaking of thickening power, since the Savoie roux is already pretty dark, I think I will write the recipe for my friend to brown the trinity in a skillet first, then add the roux and garlic and bring it up to heat before building the gumbo. As opposed to heating the roux and then adding the trinity (tradition way). That way the roux doesnt either: 1)burn, which he will not really know how/when that happens, or 2)get darker and lose thickening power.

Speaking of thickening power, since the Savoie roux is already pretty dark, I think I will write the recipe for my friend to brown the trinity in a skillet first, then add the roux and garlic and bring it up to heat before building the gumbo. As opposed to heating the roux and then adding the trinity (tradition way). That way the roux doesnt either: 1)burn, which he will not really know how/when that happens, or 2)get darker and lose thickening power.
that is a good approach. i need to re-read the thread, but we all know i won't, is he using the powder or the liquid?

I've used the liquid Savoy (actually Khary's) roux the last few times we made gumbo and it really does the job as well as making it from scratch. So it's been my go to roux for a while now. Only trouble is that it's hard to find here.

Last edited:

If you're going to use that canned stuff, you should just pour all your canned chicken stock in the pot with your sauteed veg and add the roux as it's boiling till you get as thick as you want.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom