premade Roux in a jar question - Savoie (1 Viewer)

Generic white rice is pretty worthless. Black and French red rice are spectacular rices. Jasmine and bismati are my go to rices generally. But after talking and eating and drinking way too much wine with a friend of mine paella rice is incredible and becoming a favorite to use as it absorbs way more flavor in a dish than any other rice I’ve cooked with.

I really like Jasmine rice. We've been eating that with some of our meals lately and it's pretty great.

Wash it in 9 changes of water and swirl it to remove the starch so it comes out in individual pieces and not sticky. Season with salt during the cook and maybe a pat of butter. yum.

Apparently this has become the rice thread. So, I'll ask this here. I can't ever seem to get my rice to not clump into a balls of mush. I've tried washing until almost no starch is coming off, using rice pots, cooking on the stove, etc. and nothing has really worked except if I sautee the rice a little before putting it in water and that seems to dry the rice out too much.

Apparently this has become the rice thread. So, I'll ask this here. I can't ever seem to get my rice to not clump into a balls of mush. I've tried washing until almost no starch is coming off, using rice pots, cooking on the stove, etc. and nothing has really worked except if I sautee the rice a little before putting it in water and that seems to dry the rice out too much.

For rice, I usually follow the directions on the bag exactly and subtract about 5 minutes (because my stove is hotter than typical and cooks faster) and it comes out just right.

i mean, you’re probably doing it wrong

i have been cooking my rice in the instapot lately and it comes out pretty good without having to put any real effort into it

+1 on jasmine rice
  • no rinsing
  • less water used, shorter cook time
  • non-sticky individuals
  • makes kitchen smell great
cook to time, uncover and drop in some butter, cover and let steam unheated for 5, then fork it

yum

For rice, I usually follow the directions on the bag exactly and subtract about 5 minutes (because my stove is hotter than typical and cooks faster) and it comes out just right.

Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grain of rice faster in your kitchen than any place on the face of the earth? Do the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove? Is this magic rice? Did you get it from the same guy that gave Jack his beanstalk beans?

Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grain of rice faster in your kitchen than any place on the face of the earth? Do the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove? Is this magic rice? Did you get it from the same guy that gave Jack his beanstalk beans?

I suspect the 5min saved is on the initial heating side of things. You are correct that water will only get up to 212F regardless of how much heat is put on the pot, unless using a pressure cooker. Having a better burner though will get the water up to 212 faster than a colder or smaller burner. This is assuming starting with rice in cold water on the stove.

I suspect the 5min saved is on the initial heating side of things. You are correct that water will only get up to 212F regardless of how much heat is put on the pot, unless using a pressure cooker. Having a better burner though will get the water up to 212 faster than a colder or smaller burner. This is assuming starting with rice in cold water on the stove.

Maybe that fancy pink Himalayan salt cooks it faster. Or, he may like it crunchy.

Lol, no but the water boils faster and is then done absorbing sooner, leaving the bottom of the rice burned if you go the full time.

Lol, no but the water boils faster and is then done absorbing sooner, leaving the bottom of the rice burned if you go the full time.

FYI, the burned part is the best. In Chinese culture, only the man gets to eat the toasty part.

This [My Cousin Vinny] reference is not getting nearly enough love...

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom