Premier League '21-'22 Season (1 Viewer)

Well this season is off to a rip roaring start!!

Bruno hat trick and Pogba seems to have retained his early summer Euro form ( see the pass to Greenwood.. 50yards on ground perfectly weighted

And now 3rd assist as I type.

Yessssir!!!

@Arathrael (or anyone else really) a few questions about relegation
- if a team is dropped to 2nd division what changes for fans? are there lower tkt/concession prices? fewer fans in attendance? less travelling to away matches?

-it seems to me that as the season comes to a close, being middle of the pack is the worst place to be - i would think either being somewhere around 5th or 6th and then also around 15th or 16th is the most exciting place to be -- but that's from the outside looking in - how do club fans react to flirting with/avoiding relegation?
(i'm fascinated by relegation - i tried to follow bournemouth the last time they got promoted, but that wasn't easy)

Well this season is off to a rip roaring start!!

Bruno hat trick and Pogba seems to have retained his early summer Euro form ( see the pass to Greenwood.. 50yards on ground perfectly weighted

And now 3rd assist as I type.

Yessssir!!!

My younger son is very happy this morning....

I'm a Chelsea fan but my second is Southampton.

They're the Saints! I don't see how we're not all Southampton fans in some way (except for our UK brothers and sisters who might have local reasons not to be Southampton fans. And then there's @DoubleSaint, who's all in.)

They're the Saints! I don't see how we're not all Southampton fans in some way (except for our UK brothers and sisters who might have local reasons not to be Southampton fans. And then there's @DoubleSaint, who's all in.)
Saints played a very good first half not so much in the second

@Arathrael (or anyone else really) a few questions about relegation
- if a team is dropped to 2nd division what changes for fans? are there lower tkt/concession prices? fewer fans in attendance? less travelling to away matches?

-it seems to me that as the season comes to a close, being middle of the pack is the worst place to be - i would think either being somewhere around 5th or 6th and then also around 15th or 16th is the most exciting place to be -- but that's from the outside looking in - how do club fans react to flirting with/avoiding relegation?
(i'm fascinated by relegation - i tried to follow bournemouth the last time they got promoted, but that wasn't easy)
First, they're relegated to the Championship, which is the first division of the English Football League, as distinct from the Premier League, and which used to be called the First Division until 2004, and hasn't been the Second Division since 1992 when the Premier League was formed. Teams that are relegated from the Championship go down to what was the Second Division (and before that the Third Division) and is now League One.

So now that's cleared up (?!), it really depends on the club. Relegated clubs get 'parachute payments', because without them the problem was they'd go into the championship with a Premier League squad on Premier League wages which doesn't necessarily work out too well financially in the Championship. So the idea is to spread the financial impact of relegation over time. Ticket prices in the Championship tend to be lower, but not necessarily that much lower, and can even be more expensive (e.g. the Premier League has a £30 cap on away ticket prices at the moment - https://www.premierleague.com/news/1049265 - but there's no such cap in the EFL, so away prices can even be more expensive (e.g. Birmingham were just charging Stoke City's fans £35).

Attendance does drop. In the Premier League it's typically near 100% of capacity for pretty much every club, in the Championship it's anything from 40% to near 100%, so it depends on the club a lot. Cardiff, Fulham, and Huddersfield went down from the Premier League in 18/19, and their attendances went from an average of 31,408, 24,371, and 23,340 respectively to 22,822, 18,324 and 21,478 (according to those linked sites), so you can see there's a varying drop.

I'd think away attendance is similarly affected, but away seats are limited (I think it's something like 2,000 seats, or 10% of the capacity, whichever is lower) and most clubs have a pretty solid hardcore of travelling fans, so maybe less so.

The financial aspect is the big one though. Some clubs really gamble on staying in the Premier League and fall apart if they're relegated, some are more sensible.

First, they're relegated to the Championship, which is the first division of the English Football League, as distinct from the Premier League, and which used to be called the First Division until 2004, and hasn't been the Second Division since 1992 when the Premier League was formed. Teams that are relegated from the Championship go down to what was the Second Division (and before that the Third Division) and is now League One.

So now that's cleared up (?!), it really depends on the club. Relegated clubs get 'parachute payments', because without them the problem was they'd go into the championship with a Premier League squad on Premier League wages which doesn't necessarily work out too well financially in the Championship. So the idea is to spread the financial impact of relegation over time. Ticket prices in the Championship tend to be lower, but not necessarily that much lower, and can even be more expensive (e.g. the Premier League has a £30 cap on away ticket prices at the moment - https://www.premierleague.com/news/1049265 - but there's no such cap in the EFL, so away prices can even be more expensive (e.g. Birmingham were just charging Stoke City's fans £35).

Attendance does drop. In the Premier League it's typically near 100% of capacity for pretty much every club, in the Championship it's anything from 40% to near 100%, so it depends on the club a lot. Cardiff, Fulham, and Huddersfield went down from the Premier League in 18/19, and their attendances went from an average of 31,408, 24,371, and 23,340 respectively to 22,822, 18,324 and 21,478 (according to those linked sites), so you can see there's a varying drop.

I'd think away attendance is similarly affected, but away seats are limited (I think it's something like 2,000 seats, or 10% of the capacity, whichever is lower) and most clubs have a pretty solid hardcore of travelling fans, so maybe less so.

The financial aspect is the big one though. Some clubs really gamble on staying in the Premier League and fall apart if they're relegated, some are more sensible.

Have you watched Ted Lasso? Is it something people in the UK watch at all?

Have you watched Ted Lasso? Is it something people in the UK watch at all?
i listen to Total Soccer Show podcast (their EPL host lineup is two americans a brit and a scot) - they talk about Ted Lasso like it's a things brits enjoy (but i think the scot is sort 'meh' on it, but he's meh on most things)

e.g. Birmingham were just charging Stoke City's fans £35

Stoke City is actually my team. The first Brit I ever met (the lovely and talented Claire) is from there, I've been a fan ever since.

Save yourselves the hassle and don’t do it guys. It’s too much disappointment :hihi::covri:

Like Portsmouth. Who thought they could compete financially with some of the biggest clubs in Europe and now play against Morecambe and Cheltenham….

….🤣🤣🤣

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom