Prepaid Car Maintenance Plan Question? (1 Viewer)

Kenosha26

Veteran
Reaction score
I got a prepaid service agreement for "free" oil changes/tire rotations from a car dealership when I purchased a brand new car. I informed them that I would be moving in the near future and they said it was 100 % transferable. However, the dealerships/service stations in the new city would charge a lot more for the oil change so it wasn't free anymore. I'd still have to pay a portion of the oil change/tire rotation. My question: these dealerships in the new city... do you think they report the mileage when running the claim, or do you think they just use the contract number to get an approved claim? I was thinking about making a small fib on the mileage since they made a small fib when selling me this piece of work service agreement.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why would you do prepaid maintenance?

Normally they cut you a break. Like if a synthetic oil change and tire rotation is $80 (but you can often get it for $60 with their specials), if you pre-pay for 4 of them, they'd charge you $200 or $240, better than the $320.

But it's only a deal if you're staying in the area or the dealership is a large network.

Kind of crappy of them to do this. Is the other dealer in the same ownership network?

It seemed like a good deal at the time, I don't remember the exact numbers but 24 oil changes and 12 tire rotations for FREE save money in the long run. Now, its not as clear when you move and they are no longer completely free.

I tried with the dealership here, but nothing is in the same network as the dealership I purchased the vehicle from. Blah!

I bought my car at a dealership in Mississippi and made them throw in one of these for free. I get my oil changed and tires rotated in Metairie and they honor it.

It seemed like a good deal at the time, I don't remember the exact numbers but 24 oil changes and 12 tire rotations for FREE save money in the long run. Now, its not as clear when you move and they are no longer completely free.

I tried with the dealership here, but nothing is in the same network as the dealership I purchased the vehicle from. Blah!

Never had this offered but would probably be interested as I put a lot of miles on my car, keep them forever and will probably never move out of this area.

I would have to compare their discounted prices to local maintenance places first though. Then I hate going to the dealer as they tend to be a lot slower.

Can't you just get a refund for the unused portion?

Yes, but I think they base it on miles left before it expires (90K) as well as how many oil changes and tire rotations left. That is why I'm asking if anyone knows if the miles are reported during every claim, because I was contemplating making a small fib on my current mile situation during my cancellation of this policy.

Ok, so a condition of their deal is that it transfers. But the problem is no one in the new area is in the same dealership network (might be same brand, but not the same owners).

So, when they transfer it, is it only the $$/visit? So you make up the difference?

That sounds like a crap deal, can you just get your unused portion back? Even with a small fee for their trouble? Then just find a place that will do the work to your satisfaction and cost.

Or just deal with the slightly higher cost at the new dealership.

Otherwise, I don't get the point about the mileage you're making.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom