Prepare yourself for a down year (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not flaming you, but Payton averages 10 wins per season, which is the best ever for the Saints, by a long shot and top tier among coaches in the league.

With the salary cap, small rosters, and long seasons, it is essentially impossible to field a team that is excellent or even better than average in all position groups.
It’s not impossible to field a balanced team. Honestly, did you ever think that an offensive guru would ever have our offense so void of talent?

Can’t ask Calloway to do what MT does on the football field. Arguably, MT is a top 5 WR in the league. Hope the pressure doesn’t get to Calloway and stunts him for the rest of his career. I mean, TQS, couldn’t even fill a #2 WR spot. So, now we are void of a #1 and #2 WR for the start of the season. I’ve been saying that we needed weapons on offense. Look where we are now. It’s ridiculous. SP is a great coach, but this guy just rarely ever seems to be “balanced”. He sets his eyes on something and he becomes blind to things around him. It’s his biggest downfall, imho. You guys can flame away, don’t care.
Where are his eyes set at this time iyo?

It’s not impossible to field a balanced team. Honestly, did you ever think that an offensive guru would ever have our offense so void of talent?

Sure, but you’re going at this like the same coach who consistently has his offensive unit at the top of league standings is somehow negligent in how he mans that side of the ball.

Cook didn’t quite work out like we’d all hoped, but he wasn’t terrible, either. The team added Sanders but because of the cap, couldn’t hold on to him. We all understood the front office was doing as much as possible to try and capitalize on Drew’s final seasons and they just came up short. Now the bill came due.

Payton has a solid history here of turning up offensive gems so I think he’s earned a lot of leeway on offensive talent acquisition. This season is a great unknown but I’ve got a lot more confidence in what he can accomplish offensively than I do the hot takes that pop up around here.

Call me the ultimate optimistic guy. I believe the Saints will surprise a lot of people and Sean Payton will win coach of the year.

Call me the ultimate optimistic guy. I believe the Saints will surprise a lot of people and Sean Payton will win coach of the year.

And Sean and Roger Goodell will be good buddies? Good luck with that.

If the Saints O.line is as elite as people believe it is, I don't see why we can't be a team that pounds the ball a little more for the first half of the season. The Saints should be able to rush 100-120 yards a game if that O.line is elite as everyone believes it is. You'll have plenty passing lanes open up.

I was prepared as soon as Drew retired and we didn't land Wilson or Rodgers. Add in losing Jenkins, Kwon, Brown, Rankins, Hendrickson, Sanders, Cook. Onyemattta suspended. Lattimore likely suspended. Mike Thomas injured. Hopefully we don't trade away any of our draft picks for next year because they could be decent...and we need them.
I agree. This is a rational way to look at things. We are in cap hell. I don't regret the decisions that got us here, which was being all in before Drew retired. I hope we don't trade away draft picks next year because we are going to need cheap talent that year also. To me, the most interesting thing about this season will be if our wr corps has a couple of emerging guys since the space they play in will be deeper this season. But we lost so many guys for various reasons that I am going in with low expectations. If we surprise the world and have a great team with lots of new guys, I am not going to complain. But this season will be interesting to watch.

If the Saints O.line is as elite as people believe it is, I don't see why we can't be a team that pounds the ball a little more for the first half of the season. The Saints should be able to rush 100-120 yards a game if that O.line is elite as everyone believes it is. You'll have plenty passing lanes open up.

What do they do if the defense offers little resistance?

The worst thing that can happen is if the team struggles out the gate trying to get a new QB established while our notoriously slow starting defense gives up big plays our offense can't counter. It's even worse now that MT is going to be missing time. There's a serious leadership void on the field that some one is going to step into.

Lucky for us we have Sean Payton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom