Prepare yourself for a down year (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not impossible to field a balanced team. Honestly, did you ever think that an offensive guru would ever have our offense so void of talent?
But are we void of talent, or do we have talent that hasn’t had an opportunity yet? I believe that. Our line is as solid as you can get in the nfl. I believe we have a diamond in the rough at TE. I believe in Winston, I honestly do. I also think we have a Ed. bunch of young WRs who couldn’t really excel last year as they were getting pounded at the line due to Brees declining strength. The work with Winston will pay off as he’s learning tendencies, they getting usd to him and his throws. I’m not going to say Super Bowl, but playoffs are very much a potential

But are we void of talent, or do we have talent that hasn’t had an opportunity yet? I believe that. Our line is as solid as you can get in the nfl. I believe we have a diamond in the rough at TE. I believe in Winston, I honestly do. I also think we have a Ed. bunch of young WRs who couldn’t really excel last year as they were getting pounded at the line due to Brees declining strength. The work with Winston will pay off as he’s learning tendencies, they getting usd to him and his throws. I’m not going to say Super Bowl, but playoffs are very much a potential

The Saints have spent the last few years of Brees' career hoping UDFA receivers would step up and get Brees to a super bowl. How many of them worked out over the last few years? How many lasted on the roster more than a couple of years? I don't see a lot of proof in the pudding that the Saints have talent at receiver outside of MT and TQS. Maybe one of them does step up, but so far from the last several years, nobody has.

It’s not impossible to field a balanced team. Honestly, did you ever think that an offensive guru would ever have our offense so void of talent?
I spent the first half of Payton’s tenure, semi-cursing him for not drafting receivers and then I realized he schemes his offense to not need stars in the receiving corp.

This will be the ultimate challenge though. New QB and no MT will be a big test of the “plug and play” rep that Payton has with skilled players.

To be quite honest, March 14th zapped my Saints-related excitement.

And I've been a Saints fan since the Ditka years, so this isn't one of those "are you a Saints fan or are you a Brees fan?" situations.

Of course I will tune in and I will pull for them as always. And I'm definitely curious to see how Jameis Winston does in his efforts to turn his career around.

I don't even fully know how to articulate it. But I feel like if I were to say that I don't have any expectations, people would assume that I'm implying that I think we're in for losing season.

I don't necessarily "expect" there to be a losing season, a 0.500 season (and yes, I know those seasons technically won't exist anymore with 17 games), a playoff run, or a Super Bowl. I just genuinely have no idea how it's going to shake out, and as such, I have no expectations.

This forum always picks up with bad news and losses and slows down with good news and wins...:unsure:
It's the nature of the beast. Good news warrants a like and then most people move on. You'll get an occasional hip hip horray. Bad news, like bad posts, draws more varied reactions and disagreements. So more comments.

It would be a minor miracle to finish at 8-9.

Looking much more like 7-10 and heaven forbid 6-11.

Onyemata first 6 games.

Thomas at least 6 games and I bet when he does come back he'll be just as useless as he was at the end of last season. I think this will be a second straight lost season for Thomas. I think we've seen the last of him being an elite receiver. Just tragic.

Winston or Hill not having the old Michael Thomas is just a recipe for disaster.
Here's the difference though winston can sling that ball 60-70 yards down the field something drew couldn't do the last 4 years. How many times last year did you see harris or smith break down the field for a long gain and drew simply could not get the ball to them. Saints will be fine they need to trade thomas his attitude and work ethic has dramatically declined since he got paid.

The Saints have spent the last few years of Brees' career hoping UDFA receivers would step up and get Brees to a super bowl. How many of them worked out over the last few years? How many lasted on the roster more than a couple of years? I don't see a lot of proof in the pudding that the Saints have talent at receiver outside of MT and TQS. Maybe one of them does step up, but so far from the last several years, nobody has.
Couple of things thouh. In Payton’s offense he doesn’t need a WR that can do everything, he just needs guys who can do a certain set of skills. Which is why you hardly ever see a Saints WR leave and do better than they did here.
The last few years, WRs have had to be in perfect position and play a perfect game because Brees arm strength and velocity wasn’t there. So plays were made in high traffic near the line, and in very tight windows.
This year the field will be spread out better as either QB has enough arm to throw all the routes effectively. It will open up space, and slow for easier catches in less traffic than years past.

We have been blessed, as Saints fans, since 2006. Hope Sean, Mickey, and team can retool quickly.

Couple of things thouh. In Payton’s offense he doesn’t need a WR that can do everything, he just needs guys who can do a certain set of skills. Which is why you hardly ever see a Saints WR leave and do better than they did here.
The last few years, WRs have had to be in perfect position and play a perfect game because Brees arm strength and velocity wasn’t there. So plays were made in high traffic near the line, and in very tight windows.
This year the field will be spread out better as either QB has enough arm to throw all the routes effectively. It will open up space, and slow for easier catches in less traffic than years past.

I'm not buying that's 100% the case. But even if it is, doesn't it bug you that Payton didn't do more? If the Saints got Sanders a year before, I think they make it to the super bowl in 2019. The Saints need at least a legit #2 receiver and they've not had one for a while. When you only have 2 weapons on offense that scares anyone, it's too easy for the better defenses to slow down the Saints offense no matter how much Payton schemes.

How many super bowl winning teams only have one good receiver? If the Saints don't improve in that area, I don't care how big Jameis' arm is, the Saints aren't going anywhere in the playoffs.

Here's the difference though winston can sling that ball 60-70 yards down the field something drew couldn't do the last 4 years. How many times last year did you see harris or smith break down the field for a long gain and drew simply could not get the ball to them. Saints will be fine they need to trade thomas his attitude and work ethic has dramatically declined since he got paid.

You do know he had a record breaking season after he got paid right? He had one injury which was last season. It's the same injury he's dealing with now.

Yeah, he's not wrong.... so, I am stocking up on good bourbon.

He is not right or wrong. No one knows what will happen this season. No one knows who will or won't step up. Our roster obviously is not as strong is some areas as the last few years, we will be depending on young players to step up, is it likely that we have a good a team as the past few years? No, is it impossible, no....I'll wait and see what happens but I'm not going all doom and gloom yet....

If the Saints O.line is as elite as people believe it is, I don't see why we can't be a team that pounds the ball a little more for the first half of the season. The Saints should be able to rush 100-120 yards a game if that O.line is elite as everyone believes it is. You'll have plenty passing lanes open up.

This is what I've been saying the whole offseason. that 9 game winning streak last year we ran the ball 30+ times almost every game. I think our offense's (and oline's) strength is the running game....

If Mike Thomas, a player at a position we have more than one of on the field at any given time, being out only NOW means our season is doomed…it was already doomed.

An elite WR by himself has never been why a team was playoff or Super Bowl worthy or not. He’s had an impact. He’s put them over the top from good to great. But you can’t just add Calvin Johnson to the Lions. They still go winless.

So I’m disappointed and bummed out a bit. But I’m still excited. So many wonderful unknowns.

I think this settles it, we will need Taysom in his Swiss Army role more now than ever.

If we don't give him a fair shot at QB he'll walk next year. Is this one year of him playing multiple positions really worth it? We can make him do it this year, but it will be his last if we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom