Prepare yourself for a down year (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payton has a solid history here of turning up offensive gems so I think he’s earned a lot of leeway on offensive talent acquisition. This season is a great unknown but I’ve got a lot more confidence in what he can accomplish offensively than I do the hot takes that pop up around here.

Recently, outside of O-line or maybe RB? I must have missed that.

Last edited:
to be honest, we have too much talent to where we shouldn't be able to fill any void. this includes injuries, etc.

having said that, i just want the team to be out there playing like they belong in the nfl, and lucky enough to be a part of the greatest sports organization.

it will, undoubtedly, be a strange transition, for some players, without drew. no doubt that his leadership, among other traits, will be missed.

If Mike Thomas, a player at a position we have more than one of on the field at any given time, being out only NOW means our season is doomed…it was already doomed.

An elite WR by himself has never been why a team was playoff or Super Bowl worthy or not. He’s had an impact. He’s put them over the top from good to great. But you can’t just add Calvin Johnson to the Lions. They still go winless.

So I’m disappointed and bummed out a bit. But I’m still excited. So many wonderful unknowns.

When you just have one elite player, yes. But, don't you think Sanders would have gotten the Saints to the super bowl in 2019 if the Saints would have gotten him a year earlier? Lack of talent at the skill positions maters in the playoffs. That's more a reason the Saints haven't gone far in the playoffs than Drew's age.

Recently, outside of O-line or maybe RB? I must have missed that.

Not sure what you’re disagreeing with. His history of finding offensive gems?

I think he has consistently maximized the potential of players who have come through his system here - OL, RB, WR, TE. Even the all-time great FHOFer Drew Brees was an injury reclamation project. He was good in San Diego but there wasn’t anything in his game then that predicted he’d play at the level he did here.

Kamara is great value. Taysom Hill and Deonte Harris were under-the-radar players that he’s getting production out of on offense and special teams. I’m not nearly as down on TQS as a lot of fans, but we will see if long ball helps elevate his game. There are a lot of young, unheralded WRs on the roster and we’ll get a chance to see if any of them follow in the footsteps of players like Colston, Moore, and Snead. I thought Callaway showed real potential as a UDFA making the leap to the NFL.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you’re getting at.

Every body keeps talking about how deep we are. Where are we deep, CB, LB DT, WR, TE, OT, OG ?

Come on, let's be serious. Why would a GM bite on Taysom after Sean passes on him? He will not be traded for. So, I would say the market for Taysom as a FA QB is a chance to compete at league minimum (because he doen't want to play the joker role.....just QBing) for a bad team.........at best! This is Sean's experiment alone! The teams you mentioned, are not looking for one more talented but, unproven project QB. They have their own QB projects to contend with. It's New Orleans or bust for Taysom. His only real value to other team is his joker role.

Taysom won 3 or 4 games as a backup, completed over 70% of his passes and was very good on 3rd down and in the red zone. That's pretty good for a backup QB. You don't think other GMs would be interested in a QB like that for at least a backup? That's just crazy. The only way Taysom stays if Winston wins the starting job is if they pay him a lot of money, but even then I don't think it will be enough to keep him. Even if it's for a minimum deal like Jameis, I think he takes it over anything the Saints offer as a joker.

Trust me, I’ve coached a long time. There is tons of talent on our team. It’s not all just talent it’s motivation, emotion management. This may be the best spot we have been in in the last few years.

If the Saints cut every WR outside of MT or TQS, how many of them would make it on an active roster week 1? And, even if the Saints cut TQS, I don't think any team in the league considers him for the #2 role.

If the Saints cut every WR outside of MT or TQS, how many of them would make it on an active roster week 1? And, even if the Saints cut TQS, I don't think any team in the league considers him for the #2 role.
I don’t know about you but I like to think football is played in all phases of the game. Our defence, while depleted can compete. And our special teams are a major strength.

pretty sure with our O line, we can compete in any game even if it’s close and comes down to the trenches. I know we all miss Brees already but this is a team sport.

with all these missing pieces from last year, this team knows it has a lot to prove. I’d be willing to bet that is great motivation.

Krishawn Hogan wasn't motivated? In the last several years, how many of the young receivers the Saints have counted on have stepped up? If you compare this team to when the Saints had Colston, Henderson, and Moore, outside on MT, none of them beats out Moore or Henderson, or Meachem. That's more than just motivation. The Saints are just less talented at WR, and it shows when they play better teams where Sean can't beat them with smoke and mirrors.

Every body keeps talking about how deep we are. Where are we deep, CB, LB DT, WR, TE, OT, OG ?
We have depth at a lot of positions, the question is quality. For example, we have a lot of guys at WR but can any of them give us quality production by forcing double coverage or coming through in the clutch.

I don’t know about you but I like to think football is played in all phases of the game. Our defence, while depleted can compete. And our special teams are a major strength.

pretty sure with our O line, we can compete in any game even if it’s close and comes down to the trenches. I know we all miss Brees already but this is a team sport.

I agree. Sean can do a lot with a little as long as the defense plays well. I'm more worried about the defense than the offense. My concern is that in the last few years none of the young receivers have stepped up when the Saints needed them to. TQS in spurts, but to this point he's only been a slightly better Brandon Coleman. Maybe this is the year where Sean turns that around. Sean usually does his best coaching when the chips are down. I definitely have a lot of faith in Payton that he can make this team look a lot better than they have any business looking. The real key to this season is more on the defense than it is on the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom