Preparing a ham?? (1 Viewer)

Jayden

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas or hints here? I've heard coke before, but I don't really like sweet hams.

Pierce it with cloves and make a baste with brown sugar and Cinnamon.

Continually baste it while cooking and it should turn out pretty good.

Get a good recipe for the glaze (makes the ham). Also toothpick in pineapple and marachino cherries (or real ones if you can get good quality) to the outside to honey it up.

TPSlamitofcourse

1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk

1/4 cup GREY POUPON Dijon Mustard

1 Ham

whole cloves

12 cherries, halved(if you like Cherries)

you may also put Pineapples on the ham and then take them off when they start to burn and thats when I start to apply the cover mixture.

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix sugar, condensed milk and mustard until well blended; set aside. Score ham with sharp knife; insert cloves into ham as desired. Arrange cherries, cut-sides down, on surface of ham. Place ham on rack in shallow baking pan.

BAKE 2 hours or until ham reaches internal temperature of 140°F when tested in center with meat thermometer, brushing occasionally with 1/2 cup of the syrup mixture after 1-1/2 hours.

Add root beer to some of the suggestions above

I personally stick cloves in the ham on a one inch square grid after scoring the fat with a knife. I them brush on some teriaki marinade, pineapple juice and pineapple slices.

I score the ham with a knife in a diamond pattern and then make a rub/glaze with vinegar, mustard (dry) and brown sugar...

>>Add root beer to some of the suggestions above

I often enjoy the crisp and refreshing
taste of a frosty and delicious mug of Abita
Root Beer while adding root beer to
some of the suggestions above.

:)

TPS

City Ham

1316l.jpg

1 city style brined ham hock end (in plastic marked ready to cook)
1/4 cup brown mustard
2 cups dark brown sugar (darker the better)
2 ounces bourbon (spray bottle)
2 cups gingersnap cookies

Heat oven 250f. Remove ham from bag, rinse, drain. Place ham cut side down on a roasting pan. Using a clean box kinfe set at the lowest setting score the ham from bottom to top spiraling clockwise as you cut. Make score lines no more than an inch and a half apart. Once you get all the way around, change hands with the blade and repeat spiraling counter-clockwise to complete diamond patterns. Wrap heavy duty foil around the ham, insert a thermometer and cook for three or four hours or until the internal temperature reaches 130f. Remove foil and use tongs to remove outer skin (the diamonds) and any fat. Heat oven to 350f. Dry ham with paper towels, then brush on a liberal amount of brown mustard. Sprinkle on and loosely pack on the brown sugar. Spray this layer with the bourbon then loosely pack on as much of the crushed gingersnaps as you can. Insert the thermometer (new hole) and return to the oven uncovered. Cook until you get an internal temperature of 140 degrees, approximately 1 hour. Pull it out and let rest at least a half hour before carving

BAKED HAM

Ingredients needed:

SPICY SUGAR GLAZE:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup Steen’s 100% Pure Cane Syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
HAM:
1 cured ham (about 14 pounds)

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until well blended. Allow to stand for at least 1 hour before using.

Preheat the oven to 325ºF.

Remove the ham skin with a sharp knife. Trim the fat to a thickness of 1/4 to 1/8 inch and score it by making long vertical and horizontal cuts. Place the ham, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cover loosely with aluminum and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the foil. Spoon 3/4 cup of the glaze over the top of the ham. Return to the oven; bake 30 minutes. Spoon remaining 3/4 cup glaze over the ham. Bake about 1 hour, basting occasionally with pan juices.

Raise the oven heat to 425ºF. and bake for about 15 minutes, to crisp the top of the ham. Remove from the oven and let rest for about 15 minutes before carving.

Place the ham on a platter, fat side up, and cut into thin slices. It’s best to carve from the smaller end to the wider section. And remember, the ham bone is great for flavoring soups!

Yield: 16 to 20 servings

>>Add root beer to some of the suggestions above

I often enjoy the crisp and refreshing
taste of a frosty and delicious mug of Abita
Root Beer while adding root beer to
some of the suggestions above.

:)

TPS
I worked at Drakes restaurant in Baton Rouge when I was in college and they served an Abita Root Beer glazed Duck with candied pecan mashed sweet potatoes. It was delicious. The Abita Root Beer glaze was made with root beer, chicken stock and cornstarch.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I am not sure which one I want to try. I saved ALL the suggestions in a word doc. I might have to try making several ham's in the upcoming months. :D

This is not as "pretty", but it is super tasty. Makes a great New Year's Day meal. (Baked hams are too salty for my taste.) Best done over a 2-day period.
Boil the ham for several hours or until it is easy to separate the ham into pieces. Save the pot of ham water in the fridge and remove the fat from the top once it has chilled. Meanwhile, remove all the fat, gristle and bone from the ham and discard.
On serving day, divided the ham and water into 2 pots and bring to a boil. Have the following veggies washed and peeled (if needed), ready to boil.
Potatoes (peeled if you wish), corn on the cob, onions, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, turnips, cabbage and strips of bell peppers.
Start with the corn, onions and potatoes if they are large.
After about 1/2 hour, add the rest of the veggies and boil until done to your taste.
Note, no salt was added-the ham water both flavors and salts the veggies.
Strain or lift with slottled spoon onto platters and serve. Pass butter, cheese sauce and hot sauce for those who desire them. Corn bread goes nicely with this. If you are superstitious and have to have black eyes for New Year's, serve them on the side.
Leftovers can be made into a great cream soup.
I have known people who use salt pork to do this, but I prefer the ham.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom