Preseason game 1 observations. (1 Viewer)

Tre'Quan Smith played very well. Back to back offensive weapons picked in the 3rd round last 2 drafts.
I really liked his hands. He had a few catches he had to grab out of the air. Drew likes to throw throw those awkward passes in tight spots on purpose, so he'll do just fine.

Sheldon Rankins, he is getting a lot of penetration, I know it is very early but he looks like he can have a breakout season this year.

Patrick Robinson: He looks like a very smart acquisition, covering the slot well.

David Onyemata: He looks very strong, maybe the strongest player on this team, also getting consistent penetration.

Good balance on offense, efficient running by Ingram and Kamara, Tom Savage looks somewhat competent unlike last year in Houston, completing passed to Thomas, Ginn, Hill and the rookie Smith.

Michael Thomas looks unstoppable, undoubtedly one of the best receivers in the business.

There was a lack of pressure in the first half Bortles and Kessler had plenty of time, and the Jags are turned checkdowns into large gains. Granted Jordan, Okafor and Davenport are not playing and would undoubtedly make a noticeable difference in this area.

Our Nose Tackle situation looks questionable, I personally do not think Tyeler Davison is the answer here, we seriously need a bigger body at the nose.

Jonathan Williams and Boston Scott clearly outplayed Terrance West and Shane Vereen.

Mitchell Loewen was all over the field and may have the best motor of anyone on the team.

Jayrone Elliot had a monster fourth quarter, generating pressure after pressure.

Taylor Stallworth looked impressive, showed great pursuit skills.

Kolton Jumper made a few plays, including a screen he diagnosed perfectly but then whiffed on the tackle.

Taysom Hill is a keeper, his first couple of drives were rough, but he turned it around from there. Showed some competency throwing the ball, and is one of the best athletes on the team. He still has the problem of not looking downfield when the play breaks down and immediately looks to run. I think Tom Savage looked like the clear cut back up to Brees tonight.

Brandon Tate showed he is still very fast and still has return skills. He will challenge TommyLee Lewis for the return man job.

Devante Harris will not make this roster.

Will Clapp looked impressive showing some major strength in run blocking. I think he and Bushrod have the inside track to be the 6th and 7th O-Lineman.

Tre'Quan Smith looks like he will become a valuable weapon in this offense.

Keith Kirkwood looks like someone who can grab the 5th reciever spot, making a few nice catches.

Trey Edmunds may make the squad as our fullback after seeing a lot of time at the position tonight.

Justin Hardee and Arthur Maulet both looked deserving of roster spots, playing well defensively and on special teams.

I personally think Hau'oli Kikaha, PJ Williams, Terrance West, and Shane Vereen have an uphill battle to climb to make the final cut.
Good gosh yes....ECHO, Echo, echo....

I saw all the same things, of course. The biggest standout, IMO, was Jayrone Elliot. I did not expect this! The dude is a B E A S T ! ! The others had plenty of flashes of greatness, which I more or less expected. But Elliot -- did not expect that!!

Most disappointing performance was inability of our linebackers to cover short passing attack. After hearing so much about starters athleticism they seemed a step behind and slow to rally. On Bortles TD run (!) Dawson totally blew contain. Didn’t think LBs had a good night.

OK i am prepared to be flamed, Savage looks more like not try to look bad than trying to win! No passes to open the defense and he had the #1's. Hill doesn't look long enough, he has great athleticism and may truly be the best QB of the future, but will have to go through checking down receivers a touch more but honestly seemed to have more pressure than Savage.

OK i am prepared to be flamed, Savage looks more like not try to look bad than trying to win! No passes to open the defense and he had the #1's. Hill doesn't look long enough, he has great athleticism and may truly be the best QB of the future, but will have to go through checking down receivers a touch more but honestly seemed to have more pressure than Savage.

Let's not forget that Jacksonville has a very good secondary too. Looking bad against em may keep u from winning

I love the fact that Sean Payton is that P'Oed off after the first game. It shows he has high expectations for this team and is holding people accountable.

That's it, I've seen enough...

Taysom Hill is definitely our future

??? no disrespect but you can’t be serious. He looked clueless for over half the time he was in there. He should have thrown at least two picks and one was a walk in pick 6 if there was a competent DB on the field, although they said that route could have been on TreQuan Smith. He will be 30 by the time Brees retires (unless he retires after winning the SB this season). Hill most likely will never be more than a 3rd string QB. 2nd string maybe if he continues to grow.

Last edited:
That's it, I've seen enough...

Taysom Hill is definitely our future

Future special teams ace maybe. He’s yet to prove he is even a #2 QB, so I hope you’re not implying that he’s a good shot to one day start at QB for the Saints. If he was 22-23 years old, maybe. But he kind of is what he is...a very good football player, but a mediocre QB. That’s fine...he’ll still make the squad and help us win games

Good gosh yes....ECHO, Echo, echo....

I saw all the same things, of course. The biggest standout, IMO, was Jayrone Elliot. I did not expect this! The dude is a B E A S T ! ! The others had plenty of flashes of greatness, which I more or less expected. But Elliot -- did not expect that!!

Yea I was trying to figure out him too. He’s been in the league for 4 years so he should dominate guys that won’t be in the league in a couple weeks. However, I want to see him go against the 1s and 2s and see if he’s still productive. If so we have a keeper

There was a lack of pr?essure in the first half Bortles and Kessler had plenty of time, and the Jags are turned checkdowns into large gains. Granted Jordan, Okafor and Davenport are not playing and would undoubtedly make a noticeable difference in this area.

You lost me when you put Davenport in with Jordan and Okafor. Davenport is not a starting NFL defensive lineman yet. He can't even make it to the practice field as a rookie. He may work out as a starter at some point, but right now I would take Loewen's production over his. Just because the Saints gave up next year's #1 for him does not make him "undoubtedly", "noticeable", or a "difference" maker. As of right now, he is unproven (doubted), rarely noticed (unnoticed) on the practice field, and no different from any other draft pick.

Our LB's underperformed as a group.

Our WR's didn't run sharp routes

The WR's would have got an earful from Drew in the huddle.

Loewen and Elliott are beasts

Kirkwood and Arnold need a promotion for better evaluation with the 1s.

Williams and Scott need a promotion to get better evaluation with the 1s.

Savage is decent, but uninspiring. He's reached his ceiling.

Hill is decent, but inspiring. He hasn't reached his ceiling.

Our O Line wasn't clicking, but it takes time for big men to get in shape.

The win was oddly satisfying.

I was really interested in watching Kikaha this evening and he still has that nonstop motor. I still think he’s an important piece on defense - if he can only stay healthy.
Kikaha will be battling to make the final 53 as a rush linebacker. In a very specialized, passing situation, he can be an edge rusher. The big issue with him is getting off blocks. When he can use his speed to get around guys, he's effective, but if they get their hands on him, he's completely taken out of the play. We have a lot of depth along the D-line this year. It'll be interesting to see if the coaches see enough from the other edge rushers to let Kikaha walk.

1. Drew better stay healthy. Neither backup QB is ready for live game action at this point. That said, Savage gives you absolutely nothing in terms of play making ability now, or in the future. He is what he is... a statue in the pocket that won't be aggressive because when he does... it's a disaster and he knows it. Hill on the other hand, is raw, talented, and the complete opposite of Savage. He gives the team "juice" and adds another dimension to the offense that can make up for his lack of experience if he's called upon. I thought he had some really "rookie type" moments, and he had some really nice plays that displayed why Payton likes him. Not sure what everyone else saw, but Hill was 8 fo 9 passing for 72 yards and was our leading rusher last night as well. When he entered the game, that was our first legit shot at winning that game IMO. That's what Hill brings to the table. For me, it's Hill by a mile if I had to choose a backup QB right now.

2. We still need a TE that can attack the middle of the field. I am holding judgement on that group until Watson gets back. I thought Arnold made some plays. He runs well, but he's definitely not a guy that's going to move people as a blocker if needed. He looks like a big WR still IMO. I thought Griffith played well. He had some nice plays on offense and on ST. I though he definitely helped himself. Our WR corps will be greatly improved this year. Thomas is a stud, Ginn can still fly, Smith is the real deal, and Meredith just needs to stay healthy. (we will have a legit 4 WRs that can absolutely ball)

3. Jonathan Williams is Ingram's replacement. I have seen all I need to see, The guy has "it". We still need to see him get more reps.... but I am convinced. He has vision, he has power, he has quickness and suddenness in the hole... that's enough for me. Scott looked okay, he's needs some "package" plays designed for his skill set to see what he can really do (much like Sproles had)... he does add value as a returner, so that's also a plus. I'd like to see him return punts and not kickoffs. West and Vereen showed me nothing in limited work... I need to see some more, but neither guy looks like an upgrade in any form over the young guys at this point.

4. Can we just go ahead and pencil in Loewen as one of our swing DT/DE rotation guys for the season? This is the second preseason I have seen the same things from him. Speed, Size, Hustle, and makes plays. We still need a NT that can help in run support. No one stepped up in the role last night. Everyone on defense needs some tackling drills.... BADLY! Vaughn Bell is losing his grip on a roster spot, and so is PJ Williams. I hate to say that because I like both guys... but guys like Coleman, Banjo, Maulet, and Hardee just look better than them to me.

5. I like where our pass rush is going, and we haven't seen Jordan, Okafor, or Davenport in game action yet. I thought everyone from Rankins to Hendrickson to Elliot on down guys names I don't even know yet had moments of good penetration and pressure. I think the hardest roster cuts this year will be on the D-Line. I'm not sure what experiment we were performing last night with the LBs... but I hope I don't see it again. They were the weak link last night. Klein and Anzalone were out of position a lot and looked down right lost at times. Davis had a couple nice plays, but also often was not where he need to be. We miss (and need) Te'o in run support. Adding P-Rob back to our secondary in the off season was not just a good move... it was a great move. He will allow us to play man coverage in the slot without getting murdered for it (like we did when Vacarro and Bell were manning the slot) Kikaha also has a lot of work to do to make this team. At this point I would not be surprised to see him traded before the pre-season is over. (of course that may also completely change based on the health of the LB corps and D-Line)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom