Analysis Preseason Week 1: the Good, the Bad, and the Ian Book (2 Viewers)

I just had a quick re-watch and Penning really is quite impressive in run blocking. He wasn't 100% perfect and he was playing against back ups for much of the time, but he did some really nice things out there. His reach blocks inside were very nice and he's powerful in drive blocks.

Watching his pass blocking again and perhaps not quite as bad as when I first watched it live. Just seems like there's an experience/ repetition gap. He's reacting a little more slowly than you'd like and his technique drifts in and out a little bit and, when stressed, reverts to athleticism. I think the more he sees, the more repetitions he gets with the right technique, the more quickly he'll get where he needs to be. And as he improves, I think there will be better players out there who will test him even more. There's still a journey and a lot of progress for him to make, but it looks pretty promising.
Great observations, J. Outside the team, there is definitely a patience gap that affects people's perception of Penning. He was drafted with the knowledge that he was pretty raw when it came to pass protection. I watched his 1-on-1s from Senior Bowl practice and the game, and it was pretty bad. He is miles ahead of where he was then and still has a really long way to go to reach his ceiling.

He looked very natural in the run game, like you said, and I was personally impressed with climb angles and second level blocking. You can tell he's an athlete, mentally and physically. He's gonna take his lumps in the passing game, and yeah, if the regular season started today, I'd still put money on Hurst being the starter.

But a month from now? I think Penning has a real shot at winning the job--and even if he doesn't, it's only a matter of time. I'm pretty happy with his performance.

I think there's a bigger chance we only keep 2 QBs w/ Taysom Hill as the 3rd/emergency guy, but hopefully Costello can at least complete some passes in the preseason.
you think he will get some time on one of the last two games? you think he could replace book on the practice squad?

Thanks Dan, great analysis as usual. I totally agree on your assessment of Book. I thought he'd be further along in his development, especially his accuracy. I believe the 2 RB's that will be behind Kamara and Ingram are going to be Jones Jr. and Smith. I have Smith slightly ahead of Jones Jr. I find Smith more athletic and more fluid in his motions. But then again that's just my opinion. Thanks again Dan.

Great observations, J. Outside the team, there is definitely a patience gap that affects people's perception of Penning. He was drafted with the knowledge that he was pretty raw when it came to pass protection. I watched his 1-on-1s from Senior Bowl practice and the game, and it was pretty bad. He is miles ahead of where he was then and still has a really long way to go to reach his ceiling.

He looked very natural in the run game, like you said, and I was personally impressed with climb angles and second level blocking. You can tell he's an athlete, mentally and physically. He's gonna take his lumps in the passing game, and yeah, if the regular season started today, I'd still put money on Hurst being the starter.

But a month from now? I think Penning has a real shot at winning the job--and even if he doesn't, it's only a matter of time. I'm pretty happy with his performance.
Yeah, I agree Dan. The thing you never really quite know about with a player making that transition is how they cope mentally - can they learn quickly, apply technique quickly, suck it all up like a sponge and use it to improve. I think he's done that - and I admit this was my biggest concern. As you say, he's improved technique against what we saw in the senior bowl - I mentioned the fact you didn't see him give up his chest to bull/ power rushers. That's improvement. He got beat to the inside still and I could infer from his reaction that it was a recognition of the mental/ technique error, as if he knew what he was meant to do but didn't. I could be wrong and seeing things that aren't there.

And yes, there is very little patience out there and perhaps little understanding or empathy for the learning/ development journey players transitioning from college to NFL. But you and I have both coached people, adults, who've never played football before and you learn patience very quickly. :)

And finally, who starts week 1. That's tricky and it's too early to say. If Penning develops at the same rate over the next 2.5 weeks, I think maybe it's him. I think if there are any setbacks or pauses in development, I'd say it's Hurst. There may be some thought given to the opponent we play and how Hurst and Penning match up. It's close. Either way, it's a good competition and he's definitely going to earn it. However, whoever happens to start week 1, it's hard to imagine that Penning won't be our (deserved) starter by the end of the season.

.... He got beat to the inside still and I could infer from his reaction that it was a recognition of the mental/ technique error, as if he knew what he was meant to do but didn't. I could be wrong and seeing things that aren't there....
Not that I have anywhere near the experience of you guys, but that was my first impression from his reaction & body language. I believe he recognized his error, & knew what he had done wrong in technique and was kicking himself for it.

In my book, that's progress, he's got recognition... now we will see how well he adjusts.

Ruiz just looks too small to play guard. He's a center.

Move McCoy over to his natural position and place Ruiz back at center!
He does look small.
My thinking is Penning's issue is technique. That can be fixed. Hurst's main issue is size & athleticism. That can't be fixed. As long as Penning is pliable and mentally tough, let him take his lumps and grow through experience. Either way, we're going to have to give our LT help this year. Might as well roll with the young guy.
What if we moved Peat to LT (iirc he has played there in the past) and Hurst to guard? As Penning continues to learn? Just a thought in a worst case scenario.

He does look small.

What if we moved Peat to LT (iirc he has played there in the past) and Hurst to guard? As Penning continues to learn? Just a thought in a worst case scenario.
I think the simplest approach is the best - let the LT battle play out as it is, pick the better option.

I have little doubt that at some point this season Penning will be starting at LT. Too early to say definitively, but I would not be surprised if it's week 1.

He does look small.

Hurst played, what, half the season at LT last year? He can get the job done, and there is way too much being made of Penning "not being ready." The Saints are in pretty good shape at LT, we're just used to having a sure-fire perennial pro-bowler there.

Which is weird, because the Saints literally won a super bowl with an average-at-best LT. Not saying that should be the goal... just that this team has been in worse situations. It feels like we're expecting an instant, magic replacement to Armstead--who, mind you, was injured a lot of the time and the Saints still won games.

Let the competition play out. The ratio of worried vs. excited when it comes to Penning feels unjustifiably skewed in the wrong direction.

Hurst played, what, half the season at LT last year? He can get the job done, and there is way too much being made of Penning "not being ready." The Saints are in pretty good shape at LT, we're just used to having a sure-fire perennial pro-bowler there.

Which is weird, because the Saints literally won a super bowl with an average-at-best LT. Not saying that should be the goal... just that this team has been in worse situations. It feels like we're expecting an instant, magic replacement to Armstead--who, mind you, was injured a lot of the time and the Saints still won games.

Let the competition play out. The ratio of worried vs. excited when it comes to Penning feels unjustifiably skewed in the wrong direction.
I agree with you and am actually still high on Penning. It’s way too early to panic about him, I was just spitballing worst case scenario remembering that Peat has played LT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom