Present State of the Roster (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Saints presently have 82 players under contract. The draftees, assuming no bizarre hold-outs, will add 5 more. That gives us 87 total heading into training camp which can only have 90 slots. Here's the present position breakdown:

Offense:

WR - 11
TE - 5 [edit]
T - 6
G - 7
C - 2
RB - 5
FB - 2
QB - 4

Defense:

DE - 9
DT - 5
LB - 12
CB - 9
S - 7

Special Teams

LS - 1
K - 1
P - 1

Considering that we usually bring in a second camp punter and kicker, that could leave the guys we have read about being invited to rookie mini camp fighting for one spot out of the 90. Long odds indeed.

It is possible that we may part ways with a couple of signed UDFA's after the mini camp, OTA's, and mandatory mini camp which may open up another spot or two. It is also possible that there may be a few signed players might enter training camp on the PUP list and not count against the 90.

Interested to know how many at each position were on last year's opening day roster.

Well we did carry 5 RBs last season and the switch from 4-3 to 3-4 will change things as well. Also remember the last player at a position will depend on his ability on special teams. it will also depend on who starts out on the PUP or IR.
So it a floating number.

The Saints presently have 82 players under contract. The draftees, assuming no bizarre hold-outs, will add 5 more. That gives us 87 total heading into training camp which can only have 90 slots. Here's the present position breakdown:

Offense:

WR - 11
T - 6
G - 7
C - 2
RB - 5
FB - 2
QB - 4

Defense:

DE - 9
DT - 5
LB - 12
CB - 9
S - 7

Special Teams

LS - 1
K - 1
P - 1

Considering that we usually bring in a second camp punter and kicker, that could leave the guys we have read about being invited to rookie mini camp fighting for one spot out of the 90. Long odds indeed

It is possible that we may part ways with a couple of signed UDFA's after the mini camp, OTA's, and mandatory mini camp which may open up another spot or two. It is also possible that there may be a few signed players might enter training camp on the PUP list and not count against the 90.

no TE's ???

No he said the five draftees would make it 87. with 5 tight end it would put us up to 92

He says we have 87 if you count the draftees. His numbers added up to 82, missing the 5 TEs initially. I think his numbers include the draft choices.

Obviously he can answer that question.

No he said the five draftees would make it 87. with 5 tight end it would put us up to 92

No, there's 82 signed, the drafted rookies add 5 making 87 including all tight ends. There's three spots available therefore.

Interested to know how many at each position were on last year's opening day roster.

This is not exact, because there were -50- on the roster the first weekend (hence only four inactives), but once it settled out, it was typically

C/G: 4
T: 4
TE: 3
QB: 2
RB: 5
FB: 1
WR: 6
DE: 4
DT: 4
LB: 8
CB: 5
S: 4
ST: 3

...subject to the usual minor shifts for injuries, a player at various positions, etc. The defensive numbers were more fluid, I think. One thing the team can do this year is carry one less RB. Now is that an extra LB spot? Can RG1 be safely stashed on the PS?

One other question: Is there one of the back-up DBs (not 4th-string) who can emerge as the gunner? I like Roby, and he's very good at what he does, but if there's someone else who can be gunner -and- contribute elsewhere, that's a place to save a roster spot.

According to the team roster page, the following numbers are available:

1, 2, 3, 8, 19, Deuce, 40, 44, 48, 49, 85, 86, and 98.

So 13 from 99 = 86 assigned, then add Romeus, who does not have a number at present. There's the 87.

And with that, I hereby reissue my demand that the NFL reinstitute jersey number 00 - available only to centers and DTs.*

* Come on - how awesome would it be to see John Jenkins rumble out with double zero on his shirt?

Last edited:
I wonder if the Saints are the only team to have a player wear 0 and 00 in their history (Obert Logan and Ken Burrough).

According to the team roster page, the following numbers are available:

1, 2, 3, 8, 19, Deuce, 40, 44, 48, 49, 85, 86, and 98.

So 13 from 99 = 86 assigned, then add Romeus, who does not have a number at present. There's the 87.

And with that, I hereby reissue my demand that the NFL reinstitute jersey number 00 - available only to centers and DTs.*

* Come on - how awesome would it be to see John Jenkins rumble out with double zero on his shirt?

6a00d8341c2c7653ef01156f1b2f0e970c-pi

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom