President's Day Sales? (1 Viewer)

Crap... I may have to buy this, or at least some of it without his input.

I told him he's limited to $400, but I'm not sure that that's going to happen, and I don't want him to think I bailed him out after he took the time to save what I thought would be enough.

I'm having trouble going h61 vs. z77, and the barebone kits I'm looking at don't include an HDD or they don't include the GPU.

I *can* get within the $400, but it's the same as usual... I start pricing options, and a chipset upgrade is only $40 more here, but then the processor suffers or I'm almost there, and the case is some freak-nasty white 'snow' case and this PC is a 'corner of the living room' fixture, not a centerpiece. I can only imagine the wife's enthusiasm if we were to fire up a bright white case + red/blue LED fans peaking out the air vents. :covri:

Prices are between $300-450, and that's with still needing one major component & OS.

Fairly certain we're going to be over budget, but I'd rather him not know it...

...Ward; Thanks for the links, but I'm more inclined to build with the boy, or actually let him build it himself with my supervision vs. buying pre-built. I'd like him to see how it goes together, and actually feel like he accomplished something. Also, I have a fear of Windows 8. Not really... But I'd prefer Win7 for the time being.

In order of current standings, my choices are:

#1 ECS Z77H2-A4, Intel Core i3 2100, 2x Kingston 4GB 9-9-9 DDR3 HyperX Red Memory Module, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, Samsung 24x DVDRW, Kingwin 650W PSU, & Thermaltake Versa II USB 3.0 ATX Case Bundle at TigerDirect.com Throw a GTX660 & OS at it, and it's done. Z77 chipset, 3.1GHz
$405 after $50 rebate

#2 ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0 Socket 1155 Motherboard, Intel Core i3-3220 Processor, 2x Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 Ram, EVGA GTX650 1GB Video Card, DVDRW, Ultra 550w PSU, Mid-Tower ATX Bundle at TigerDirect.com H61 but 3.3GHz CPU and GTX650 included. Needs HDD & OS ... Not bad, but I think I like the ECS z77 better.
$446 after $50 rebate

#3 BIOSTAR Z77, Intel Core I3 2100 processor, 2x Adata Premier SRS 4GBs memory module, Samsung DVDRW, Ultra 550W PSU/, Thermaltake Commander Mid tower CASE Bundle at TigerDirect.com No GPU/HDD. I guess gives more options for me to customize. Just kinda meh.
$360 after $60 rebate

___________ Not even sure the below is still an option, but one of 4 I'm considering.

#4 GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H Intel 7 Series Motherboard and Intel Core i3-2100 3.10 GHz Dual Core Processor and ADATA Premier Srs 4GB DDR3 Desktop Memory Module and ADATA Premier Srs 4GB DDR3 Desktop M Bundle at TigerDirect.com
$307 after $60 rebate

After a bit more thought, I may skimp on the GPU for now and just go with a GT610/620 in an attempt to stay under budget. It should run everything he's truly interested in right now, and it'll give him something to save for in the future. He can also learn about upgrading a system in a few months when we get to that point.

So yeah, currently leaning toward the ECS option + a GT6xx + Win7.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom