President's Day Sales? (1 Viewer)

uproar90

Carpathian Warlock
Reaction score
After a few weeks of deliberation, I'm finally pulling the trigger on a lower-end gaming rig for the boy...

Basically, he's fed up with hand-me-downs, and I told him that if he'd save up $200, then I'd match it and we'd get him a decent barebones rig that would last him a while.

Probably looking for an i3, or AMD equivalment... 4-8 RAM, 1tb HDD (no SSD), etc. ... He's 8. He only plays what titles are 'mom approved', and he is truly just trying to get to the level of DC Universe & Minecraft on PC. He has a 'docked laptop' that won't run either.

Oh, and this budget needs to fit in the OS as well, so I'm hoping that MS still offers OEM versions, or Serial only versions instead of all the packaging/tech support/fluff.

Will be pricing @ new egg & Tiger this evening.

Any thoughts?

After a few weeks of deliberation, I'm finally pulling the trigger on a lower-end gaming rig for the boy...

Basically, he's fed up with hand-me-downs, and I told him that if he'd save up $200, then I'd match it and we'd get him a decent barebones rig that would last him a while.

Probably looking for an i3, or AMD equivalment... 4-8 RAM, 1tb HDD (no SSD), etc. ... He's 8. He only plays what titles are 'mom approved', and he is truly just trying to get to the level of DC Universe & Minecraft on PC. He has a 'docked laptop' that won't run either.

Oh, and this budget needs to fit in the OS as well, so I'm hoping that MS still offers OEM versions, or Serial only versions instead of all the packaging/tech support/fluff.

Any thoughts?

Yes. Go back to Disney.

Any thoughts?

I like AMD and Intel, but AMD offers more affordable CPU's, a low end quad core will do, but research both, the I3 and AMD equivalent.

I would look for the min system specs for both those games, and aim between suggested minimum and reccomended specs if your bargain shopping.

And to get cheaper prices on hardware, dont be shy to look toward used stuff on ebay/amazon and such.

Good deals can be had there.

And yes I still think you can get OEM versions of Windows, Win 7 Home 64bit will suffice.

Hope it helps.

Cheapest i3 and nVidia

Avatar Gaming I3-32GT Desktop PC - Newegg.com

Cheapest gaming rig with nVidia. AMD processor

iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme NE650FX Desktop PC - Newegg.com

Otherwise, Bestbuy has a presidents day sale.

But those I listed were already built. If you're building on your own, that's different.

AMD for the price. I really like the i5 though. That's what I have on my personal lap top, but that puts you in the 600+ range quickly.

I've always used nVidia for my graphics, so I had no experience with AMD.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom