Pretentious Baby Names (1 Viewer)

i hate my middle name. it is the female spelling of an already stupid sounding name. reminds me of how much i hate the colour teal. it can't decide if it wants to be blue or green. my mom is a forking moron.

My first name is the stupid sounding shortened version of several really forking awesome names so I'm extra P'Oed lol. Luckily my closest friends usually call me by one of those awesome names so that takes some of the sting off.

Basically I'm stuck with the Charles vs. Charlie situation but even worse.

You can have a stupid name…but it should be fair game to be teased about it

If you choose a stupid name then absolutely. The vast majority of us didn't choose our names though so no, please don't make fun of people's names. We know we have stupid names that are easy to make fun of.

My response to making fun of my name (Ian) when I was in school was, my name may be stupid, but you are ugly, and I can change my name, but you'll always be ugly.. That usually po'd them off..

My response to making fun of my name (Ian) when I was in school was, my name may be stupid, but you are ugly, and I can change my name, but you'll always be ugly.. That usually po'd them off..
Went all Churchill on them

2FC8AF9E-2D72-4876-A54B-3D6B075FAFD6.jpeg

Does the Grandmother have a point? and what do you think about 'unique' names in general
========================

A doting grandmother is facing a major family dilemma after her stepson and his girlfriend gave their newborn baby what she described as a "really awful pretentious name."

The way parents pick baby names has changed dramatically over the past 20 years. According to Laura Wattenberg, founder of the website Baby Name Wizard, where once moms and dads stuck to tried-and-tested names, today many are seeking more unique monikers.

"In past generations, parents were much more concerned about their kids' names fitting in," she explained to Quartz. "But in the past 20 years, the focus has been on 100 percent standing out."

Wattenberg attributes this shift to the emergence of the internet. "All of us were choosing usernames and becoming accustomed to the idea that a name has to be unique to be usable," she said. The baby name expert also points to the prevalence of search engines in our everyday lives, with many new parents taking to Google to see if a specific name is "taken."

It's all given rise to an increase in the number of unusual baby names. But while a distinctive name might delight parents, lumbering a child with an unusual name can prove detrimental if they grow to dislike it.

As psychologist Jean Twenge told LiveScience: "Our names really are wrapped up in our identity," which can prove problematic if the moniker is despised. "People who particularly dislike their name and also if other people think it's an odd and unlikeable name, that can cause some problems. [They] tend not to be as well-adjusted," she warned.

Ultimately the decision rests with the child's parents but the use of an unusual name can still prove difficult to bear for some family members, like the disgruntled grandma who took to Mumsnet to voice her opposition to the "ridiculous" name her stepson has given his baby.

According to the grandmother, they have opted to name their child "Stormy-Water" while the baby has also been given the middle name "Cloud." She said what makes it worse is the story behind why they have given him such an unusual name.

"Stormy represents their life before they met, water is the continuity (infinity) of their love for each other and cloud was the 'silver lining' when they realized they were expecting," she explained.

Dismissing it as a "really awful pretentious name," the grandmother admitted she has so far avoided using it. "I know it's their choice but neither me nor my husband can bring ourselves to say it," she wrote.

Instead, she has taken to referring to the young child as simply "the baby" or the "little one"—but her stepson and his wife "have started to notice" and things are "becoming tense" as a result...........

Kinda of disappointed that the story wasn’t related to Stormy Daniels!

I remember a couple years back a baby being named Yo'Highness or something like that.
Jermaine Jackson named one of his kids Jermajesty

Read long ago some guy legally changed his name Milord or Mi Liege and tried to sue his company because no one was calling him by his new name

i hate my middle name. it is the female spelling of an already stupid sounding name. reminds me of how much i hate the colour teal. it can't decide if it wants to be blue or green. my mom is a forking moron.

And yet, that's the name everyone calls you by. I mean, when we aren't calling you zeetes.

My ex husband is from South America. He told me that I got to name our baby because if the child hated its name, he didn't want to be blamed. We didn't know what we were having until my son was born.

I had names picked out for both sexes. Initially I wanted to name a boy Cameron but with the majority of my ex's family still living in South America and being non-English speaking, it was too similar to camaron which means shrimp and I couldn't do that to him because we knew he'd be visiting over summers and various other family trips down there while growing up.

My son’s name is Wolf Claw and my daughter’s name is Fang.

I figured at worst, they could intimidate people before they even meet them. :hihi:

Just kidding, btw.
Have I got an idea for you.....
1649693513556.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom