Pretentious Baby Names (4 Viewers)

That was my first thought as well, and then was surprised to read “him”. I’d probably just call him Storm but maybe that’s because I’ve seen too much of Stormy Daniels.
The Baltimore Orioles had a pitcher named Storm Davis back in the day. A friend of mine was so enamored of the name that he and his wife named their son Storm :jpshakehead:

Oh well, better Storm Hartman than Peter Yanker. He was Peter Yanker III, three generations of therapy

My response to making fun of my name (Ian) when I was in school was, my name may be stupid, but you are ugly, and I can change my name, but you'll always be ugly.. That usually po'd them off..
“Sir Winston you’re drunk”

“Lady Astor you’re ugly. in the morning I shall be sober but you'll still be ugly”

Yes. It is always better for the child when their parents stay in a loveless and/or abusing relationship, hating each others' guts.
I think by “not getting divorced”, is short for, “2 mature adults learning to accept the challenges of a relationship and all that goes along with being committed”. it takes WORK. The problem is, today, people are too quick to want to get the “one up” on the other when there is a disagreement. Then the next disagreement occurs and the disagreements get more and more contentious and the relationship is no longer a married relationship. It evolves into two immature people, being selfish and thus, the marriage goes south. I am old enough to have witnessed this numerous times with friends and or even their children.

There are way too many selfish people running around, wanting to be married and are not ready to be married.

I think by “not getting divorced”, is short for, “2 mature adults learning to accept the challenges of a relationship and all that goes along with being committed”. it takes WORK. The problem is, today, people are too quick to want to get the “one up” on the other when there is a disagreement. Then the next disagreement occurs and the disagreements get more and more contentious and the relationship is no longer a married relationship. It evolves into two immature people, being selfish and thus, the marriage goes south. I am old enough to have witnessed this numerous times with friends and or even their children.

There are way too many selfish people running around, wanting to be married and are not ready to be married.
Or sometimes people do dumb shirt and marry someone they really aren't compatible with in multiple important areas and don't realize it until years later and kids are involved.

My wife and I discussed this before we had our first child. We both agreed that a child isn’t a baby doll or a possession that you name whatever you want and toss on the shelf to be forgotten. Think about growing up, ceremonies when their name is called, job applications and resumes, and other things. Something that has meaning but also not ridiculous.
Now, you can’t control if a person will eventually hate their name, but I think you can put more effort into trying.

Jermaine Jackson named one of his kids Jermajesty

Read long ago some guy legally changed his name Milord or Mi Liege and tried to sue his company because no one was calling him by his new name
i once worked with a lord alfred tennyson jones, isyn

guess his parents wanted to get the "rank" up front :)

i once worked with a lord alfred tennyson jones, isyn

guess his parents wanted to get the "rank" up front :)
I mean, you can do that yourself though. Today, I am Baron von Paul. Tomorrow, I’ll be Prince Maximus. It’s not hard. :hihi:

I used to work with a guy named James Bond (or as he said). Thats what he told everyone his name was. It was on his work badge too. (later on found out he even put that name in his applicaton and everything). When we switched from hard checks to Direct Deposit, before shift they were handing out the last of the hard checks to the people who hadn't switched over yet and the supervisor called out Everette James and eveyone was like who? Ole James Bond got up and grabbed his check. He was p"od. Normally payroll handed our checks out as we went to pick them up, but this last time the shift supervisor was handing them out.
Not that Everette is a bad name or anything, but so many times he bragged about James Bond being his real name. a group of 100 guys never let that kind of stuff go..lol James wan't even his middle name.
So you can be called anythig you want if no one knows..lol...

I used to work with a guy named James Bond (or as he said). Thats what he told everyone his name was. It was on his work badge too. (later on found out he even put that name in his applicaton and everything). When we switched from hard checks to Direct Deposit, before shift they were handing out the last of the hard checks to the people who hadn't switched over yet and the supervisor called out Everette James and eveyone was like who? Ole James Bond got up and grabbed his check. He was p"od. Normally payroll handed our checks out as we went to pick them up, but this last time the shift supervisor was handing them out.
Not that Everette is a bad name or anything, but so many times he bragged about James Bond being his real name. a group of 100 guys never let that kind of stuff go..lol James wan't even his middle name.
So you can be called anythig you want if no one knows..lol...

I have a colleague now whose real name is James Bond

Did that guy ever live that down or did he have to quit?

I think by “not getting divorced”, is short for, “2 mature adults learning to accept the challenges of a relationship and all that goes along with being committed”. it takes WORK.
That sounds pretty.

The rest, sure, it may be 1 issue among the many issues that could arise between people living together, but I guarantee you that is not THE issue.

But no matter how you slice it, it's better for children not to live in a household in which the parents hate each other's guts, one parent is physically abusing the other, they are being abused by one or both parents, etc, etc, etc.

I knew a Star Craft back in college.

And random side note. The book Freakonomics somewhat covers this topic regarding what's in a name. The anecdotal story told is about two brothers, one named Winner and the other named Loser. Pretty interesting from what I remember.

I have a colleague now whose real name is James Bond

Did that guy ever live that down or did he have to quit?
Are you sure its his REAL name?lol
he only worked there for probably another year, and he never lived it down.

My dads name is Oswell, but he always went by his middle name, his bothers name is Ephram, but he went by his middle name also.
His sisters names are Henryetta, and Rubyzette. they are all in their 80's, so these are old names.
Also had a great Uncle named Uther, but pronounced O-ther... My dads side of the family has some whach names now that i think about it..
But the best ever was on my moms side. She went to a family reunion (maiden name Brown) and met a cousin named Golden... Ol Golden Brown...

I’m not going to lie, if I was in the hospital for something serious and the doctor comes in the room and introduces himself as Dr. Loki Skylizard I’m going to feel a certain kind of way about it

============================
Dr. Loki Skylizard doesn't want this story to be all about his name, so we'll save that for later and cover robots and hormones first…..

But what about that name?

The name is not of Puerto Rican origin. Skylizard chose it himself as a child as part of a "crazy family" tradition and he's happy with it. He said there's a lot of "legend and love around it." His brothers and sisters also have unconventional names.

"For better or worse, I can't say my name ever hurt me," he said.

In fact, he once came close to winning the Name of the Year contest, a competition put on by online sports news site Deadspin each year. People nominate others with unique names, and a bracket of names is made. People vote for the moniker they think is best.

In 2014, Skylizard came in fifth, beaten by Shamus Beaglehole, Dr. Eve Gruntfest, Alkapone Cruz-Balles and Chubacca Hung — much to Skylizard's disappointment……

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom