Pretentious Baby Names (2 Viewers)

My wife and I won the baby naming competition- 2 for 2
Interesting but not outlandish
And each has a failsafe ‘you can go by your initials if you hate your name’
But I still bristle that I didn’t get to name the youngest ‘Dragon’ that would have been so cool

I went to school with a kid whose first name was Mister. Brutal...
I used to work with a woman whose last name was Doctor, and had a daughter in medical school who one day will be addressed as Dr. Doctor

not quite the same thing but putting this here
============================

Taiwanese parliamentarians have debated changing legal limits on name changes, after some of the hundreds of people who legally altered their name to “Salmon” in return for free sushi reportedly became stuck with it.

In March 2021 restaurant chain Sushiro ran a promotion offering free all-you-can-eat sushi for a whole table to anyone with the Chinese characters for salmon, “gui yu”, in their name.

In what was later dubbed “Salmon chaos”, 331 people took part, paying a nominal administration fee to legally call themselves names including “Salmon Dream” and “Dancing Salmon”.

At the time the government was critical of the promotion, asking people to be “rational” and complaining that the stunt created pointless extra work for Taiwan’s paperwork-heavy bureaucracy.

Some participants built social media followings off the international media attention, while others ran small businesses taking friends to the restaurant for a fee.

Once the two-day promotion ended, most returned to their normal names, but more than one year on some have hit a roadblock – the government only allows people to change their names three times….

“After the salmon chaos incident some people had already changed their name three times and now have no way to change them back,” said New Power Party legislator, Chiu Hsien-chih, suggesting other measures including fee changes and cooling-off periods….

not quite the same thing but putting this here
============================

Taiwanese parliamentarians have debated changing legal limits on name changes, after some of the hundreds of people who legally altered their name to “Salmon” in return for free sushi reportedly became stuck with it.

In March 2021 restaurant chain Sushiro ran a promotion offering free all-you-can-eat sushi for a whole table to anyone with the Chinese characters for salmon, “gui yu”, in their name.

In what was later dubbed “Salmon chaos”, 331 people took part, paying a nominal administration fee to legally call themselves names including “Salmon Dream” and “Dancing Salmon”.

At the time the government was critical of the promotion, asking people to be “rational” and complaining that the stunt created pointless extra work for Taiwan’s paperwork-heavy bureaucracy.

Some participants built social media followings off the international media attention, while others ran small businesses taking friends to the restaurant for a fee.

Once the two-day promotion ended, most returned to their normal names, but more than one year on some have hit a roadblock – the government only allows people to change their names three times….

“After the salmon chaos incident some people had already changed their name three times and now have no way to change them back,” said New Power Party legislator, Chiu Hsien-chih, suggesting other measures including fee changes and cooling-off periods….

Well, if you wasted your last name change on the name Dancing Salmon, then you deserve to keep that name forever..

My ex's father's first name was Major. He said that it caused him some trouble while in the military but worked for him at the V.A.

My daughter's name is Bayleigh. Last year, a new girl joined her softball team. Her name was spelled exactly the same.
This year, another new girl joined. My wife asked her name to put her (and her mom) in the group me chat. She said Emily, and with a disappointed tone, says, but it's spelled different, it's spelled Emmaleigh. My wife says, don't worry, I got you, my daughter feels your pain..
But I've never understood the taboo of having a non cookie cutter name. I'm not sure why people have a hard time with other people's names.

My daughter's name is Bayleigh. Last year, a new girl joined her softball team. Her name was spelled exactly the same.
This year, another new girl joined. My wife asked her name to put her (and her mom) in the group me chat. She said Emily, and with a disappointed tone, says, but it's spelled different, it's spelled Emmaleigh. My wife says, don't worry, I got you, my daughter feels your pain..
But I've never understood the taboo of having a non cookie cutter name. I'm not sure why people have a hard time with other people's names.

Thing is, those *are* cookie cutter names. They're just spelled inefficiently.

American English is full of "inefficient" words from the front of the dictionary to the back.
Why name someone Robert but call them Bob, or Anthony Tony and William Bill? Isn't that being inefficient? Just name them Bob, Tony or Bill..

I went to school with a girl named Aeimii AKA Amy

slightly different

i grew up with a girl whose last name was Clutts, pronounced ‘Klutz’ just like you’d suspect

she spent high school trying to insist it was really pronounced ‘Clue-Tess’

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom