Pretty harsh on our seconday (1 Viewer)

natedog

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought we were hard on our players:

Matt McGuire's 2008 Mock Draft
Round One-

New Orleans Saints: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami
There is a reason Jon Gruden felt he could throw the ball down the field against New Orleans with LUKE MCCOWN! It is because the Saints' defensive backs for lack of a better word, suck. Kenny Phillips is going to make plays for this defense. It is what they lack at safety - I mean come on, I give McCown credit but he went 15-of-15 against this defense on the road with New Orleans' season on the line.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php New Orleans Saints: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami
The bad news is the Saints missed the playoffs. The good news is they're in position to draft Kenny Phillips.

New Orleans' secondary is garbage. The corners can't cover anyone, while free safety Josh Bullocks has been completely awful at times. Obtaining a play-maker like Phillips would completely improve the team's defensive backfield.

2008 NFL Mock Draft
by Kyle McDaniels - Jan 1, 2008 5:29 PM EST

10. New Orleans Saints - Jenkins, Malcolm, CB Ohio State
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Malcolm, only a junior is in my opinion the best CB in the nation. One could make strong arguments for South Florida's Mike Jenkins or Kansas's Aquib Talib as well. While determing who is the best corner may cause some debate their is no doubt the Saints must upgrade their secondary if they want to be true contenders for the Super Bowl.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl-draft/mock-draft.php

14. New Orleans Saints - Jenkins, Mike, CB South Florida

The Saints took a couple of steps backwards this year and one of the main reasons for that is that they were exposed in their secondary. Mike McKenzie is one of the best man-on-man CB’s in the league, but his counterparts Jason David and Fred Thomas are not very good. Mike Jenkins is a real nice player from South Florida who is having an excellent Senior year and showing everyone that he is a First Round talent. At 6 foot tall he has good size and I am pretty sure he has the speed necessary to warrant this selection and would be an upgrade in area of major need.

Overall the concencus pick seems to be either Jenkins or Phillips.Hopefully our coaching staff will agree with this but for some reason I see a BPA unfolding where we end up with some player that we don't really need like a QB or RB.

Whew......pretty honest takes on how bad the Saints DBs are.... Phillips would be a great pickup at #10.

Couldn't agree more. Other than McKenzie and Harper we pretty much stunk back there. I think We have a good CB coming on in Young. My feeling is that McKenzie may have to move to FS when he gets back from his injury.

Harsh?? Please. Harsh was watching no name QB's throw the ball deep on wide open receivers.

Harsh was watching a team score in 3 plays after our offense would fight for scores...

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=749667 10. New Orleans (7-9)
The Pick: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State*
The Buzz: The Saints defense gets smoked weekly, and Jenkins looks like the No. 1 cornerback in this class.

The thing I worry about is being the No1 in this class. I want another Deon Sanders type of CB. So how does this guy stack up all time? Heck this class could be weak and being No 1 in this class would not be that good.

Anybody know?

The thing I worry about is being the No1 in this class. I want another Deon Sanders type of CB. So how does this guy stack up all time? Heck this class could be weak and being No 1 in this class would not be that good.

Anybody know?

NCSaint...here's a great thread that covers him from HS to declaring for the draft. There are a lot of gret breakdowns on his style there. It's a long read but a great read!

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/buckeye-football/18238-cb-malcolm-jenkins-official-thread.html

Last edited:

Anybody know?

Very true,if it were me I wouldn't even give up a 3rd for a guy like D.Hall or D.Bly for that matter.I don't think these "shutdown corners" are really all they are cracked up to be.We just need to get a excess of young talent at the position.Rather than having a bunch of over aged guys that this staff deems reliable.It scares me to think that we could lose our first round,high rounder at that,guy to an injury like Mckenzies.Then we are in the same situation..............I don't really have a point just thoughts.

Whoever we pick I hope that it helps our secondary.

MIKE, or MALCOM Jenkins ? Mike is from S.Fla, and I'm seeing mixed signals on him (may drop a LOT), something about assaulting an officer in April, but the guy is the best 1on 1 cover guy in the draft, nobody threw his way. Malcom (OSU) has much more help in the secondary, and will no doubt be over-rated b'cause he's on the Luckeyes, I don't want him at 10 (maybe 15). I think if we trade down 8-15 spots we could get either one, and I'd be Very happy with A. Cason even later.
http://condraft.com/database/big-10/ohio-state/malcolm-jenkins/index.html
http://condraft.com/database/big-east/south-florida/mike-jenkins/index.html
http://condraft.com/database/pacific-10/arizona/antoine-cason/index.html

Last edited:
I hope the Saints go with Kenny Phillips in the 1st round.....We really need a guy like him in the secondary.

I wouldn't mind Phillips or one of the Jenkins, but those are my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th realistic options in this draft. If Ellis has a great combine, he could become unrealistic at 10, but with his size, he could fall like Tommie Harris did.

Ellis is my first choice because he helps take pressure off Smith and Grant, and helps the pass rush up the middle. Look at the Giants. Madison and Ross played well this year, but the biggest reason was that they had maybe the best pass rush in the league. When they couldn't rush the passer, their pass coverage was exposed for the fraud that they are.

Get a legitimate starting CB in free agency. Get a legitimate starting CB in free agency. Get a legitimate starting CB in free agency. :dedhrse:
Get more defensive players in free agency.
Draft the best LB or DT available in the first round.
Draft whchever position you didn't draft from the first round in the second round.
Then draft a safety and another CB in the later rounds.
Then draft another defensive player, and another one, and another one.

Get a legitimate starting CB in free agency. Get a legitimate starting CB in free agency. Get a legitimate starting CB in free agency. :dedhrse:
Get more defensive players in free agency.
Draft the best LB or DT available in the first round.
Draft whchever position you didn't draft from the first round in the second round.
Then draft a safety and another CB in the later rounds.
Then draft another defensive player, and another one, and another one.

The only thing I'd change is "Draft the best defender besides possibly DE in the first round."

For this year, change BPA to Best Defender Available.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom