Prince Amukamara released (1 Viewer)

This is one of those guys I keep an eye on in case Jenkins and Apple both price themselves out of our range.

Apple is the only one who can price himself out of range. We already know Jenkins will cost 11 million. Not sure how much we could push to next year on him, but 11 million max. I'm thinking Apple will cost 11M/yr or less.

Amukamara got 8.5M last year. That's the most he's ever made. Not sure how well he played, but he did have zero int's this past year. Bears not bringing him back is telling. He's got a lot of tread on the tires. 9 years.

All things considered, I'm hoping Apple's regression last season was injury related and that he's the guy who sticks and then plays well for us. If he could just be a little more consistent, then we'd have one heck of a CB group. And then if we could keep Bell, and M. Williams could quit those random bonehead angles he takes and keep his head up, we'd have a serious secondary.

I know the popular opinion is for Janoris to be our guy. And that's a nice thought, but history says he's due to decline fast any time now. He's near the age where Revis fell off a cliff. Champ Bailey held on a little longer than them, but he's like Frank Gore and AP... Brees and Brady. One of those rare guys who cheats father time out of a few years. Who knows, maybe Jackrabbit is the same, but that's extremely rare for the position. The WRs keep getting younger and younger and the old goats lose a half a step and in the NFL... that's all it takes.

Apple is the only one who can price himself out of range. We already know Jenkins will cost 11 million. Not sure how much we could push to next year on him, but 11 million max. I'm thinking Apple will cost 11M/yr or less.

Amukamara got 8.5M last year. That's the most he's ever made. Not sure how well he played, but he did have zero int's this past year. Bears not bringing him back is telling. He's got a lot of tread on the tires. 9 years.

All things considered, I'm hoping Apple's regression last season was injury related and that he's the guy who sticks and then plays well for us. If he could just be a little more consistent, then we'd have one heck of a CB group. And then if we could keep Bell, and M. Williams could quit those random bonehead angles he takes and keep his head up, we'd have a serious secondary.

I know the popular opinion is for Janoris to be our guy. And that's a nice thought, but history says he's due to decline fast any time now. He's near the age where Revis fell off a cliff. Champ Bailey held on a little longer than them, but he's like Frank Gore and AP... Brees and Brady. One of those rare guys who cheats father time out of a few years. Who knows, maybe Jackrabbit is the same, but that's extremely rare for the position. The WRs keep getting younger and younger and the old goats lose a half a step and in the NFL... that's all it takes.

I think that 11m is more than we should spend. I'd be looking for a #2 CB to sign around 8m per year.

I think that 11m is more than we should spend. I'd be looking for a #2 CB to sign around 8m per year.
Well, I guess the question is... how much is being able to get off the field on 3rd down consistently worth to you? Maybe an extra 3 million?

Well, I guess the question is... how much is being able to get off the field on 3rd down consistently worth to you? Maybe an extra 3 million?

It's a zero-sum game. So you overpay for a #2 corner you lose somewhere else. Maybe that's a LB you can't bring in. I think that's around what you should be paying for a #2. I think we can get what we've been getting or better at that price. For example, I think Amukamara would be around that price and could potentially be an upgrade over Apple.

I'd try to get Jenkins or Apple to sign a contract around that first though. I'd prefer someone that has some time in the system. Apple has upside from youth, Jenkins has experience.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom