Prince Charles: Ban the Big Mac (1 Viewer)

Saint Mike

Are you a Who Dat?
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And the lifestyle tyrants march on . . . .

Prince Charles today said banning McDonald's fast food was the key to a healthy lifestyle.

His comments came as he attended the launch of a public health awareness campaign.
Charles, a strong advocate of organic food, was touring the Imperial College London
Diabetes Centre in Abu Dhabi with the Duchess of Cornwall.

He asked nutritionist Nadine Tayara: "Have you got anywhere with McDonald's, have you tried getting it banned? That's the key."

Royal observers said that Charles would have been aware that his comments would be picked by the media.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23387071-details/Charles:+Ban+the+Big+Mac/article.do

I don't know what he is really saying there. It sounds like he is trying to get McDonald's to "ban" the Big Mac. If that is the case, I have no problem with it. Lobby McD's all you want to get them to change their menu. However, I would have a problem with the government banning Big Macs.

However, I would have a problem with the government banning Big Macs.

It's coming.

<headline>Tax fast food like tobacco and ban it in schools, doctors say</headline>

<!--articleTools Top--> <byline>Julie Robotham Medical Editor</byline>
<date>August 21, 2006</date>

<!--articleDetails--> <small>
</small><small></small>

<!--articleExtras-wrap--> <bod> </bod>FAST foods, processed snacks and sugary drinks can cause as much ill health as cigarettes, and should be taxed like tobacco and banned from schools and public institutions, obesity experts say.

In the strongest call yet for governments to regulate the powerful food industry, Paul Zimmet, professor of diabetes at Monash University, has joined Philip James, chairman of the International Obesity TaskForce in London, to demand tough economic policies to control the availability of low-quality foods packed with fat, salt and sugar.

an article published today, they say it is time to acknowledge the failure of policies of promoting exercise and healthy eating to control Australia's rapidly expanding waistline.
"This epidemic is guaranteed to continue unless we accept that the decades-long reliance on health promotion and intense media coverage of obesity have had virtually no effect," they write in The Medical Journal of Australia.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...ols-doctors-say/2006/08/20/1156012415001.html

The Food Police are everywhere now, targeting our favorite excesses.

070226_burger_vmed_12p.widec.jpg

Ruby Tuesday's Colossal Burger packs about as many calories as five McDonald's Quarter Pounders.

On some menus, one plate packs 2,000 calories
Popular dishes at chain restaurants exceed entire day's worth of calories
By Allison Linn
Senior writer
MSNBC
Updated: 7 minutes ago

Everyone likes to splurge a little when they go to a restaurant, but new research suggests some of those indulgences may be packing way more calories — and, if you aren’t careful, pounds — than you think.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a research group that advocates good nutrition, highlighted menu items from popular chain restaurants that in some cases have as many calories in just one plateful as some people should eat in an entire day.

READ MORE
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17349197/

While banning restaurants and certain dishes certainly is not the way to go, I am in favor of banning the use of substances like trans-fat and high fructose corn syrup in our food.

While banning restaurants and certain dishes certainly is not the way to go, I am in favor of banning the use of substances like trans-fat and high fructose corn syrup in our food.

But what if they make it taste soooo good? Don't necessarily ban it, but I think they should disclose it. Then I can make the decision to eat it or not.

But what if they make it taste soooo good? Don't necessarily ban it, but I think they should disclose it. Then I can make the decision to eat it or not.

Exactly. I don't need a government nanny looking out for me and my food choices.

But they don't make the food taste any better. Everyone knows that a Coke made with sugar is 10x better than a Coke made with HFCS. This other crap is just cheaper for the companies that make them. We are the ones who get shafted in the end.

Exactly. I don't need a government nanny looking out for me and my food choices.

If you're a male, then you probably do. Over half of all males in this country are going to show the beginning stages of diabetes type 2 in their lifetime. This generation will also probably not live longer than the preceding generation.

You can hardly even find whole wheat bread without HFCS anymore. Not to mention partially hydrogenated oils, enriched flour, etc...

If you're a male, then you probably do. Over half of all males in this country are going to show the beginning stages of diabetes type 2 in their lifetime. This generation will also probably not live longer than the preceding generation.

Longevity does not equal quality, imho. I'd rather eat what I want and kick off at 70 than have the government decide for me and live 10 years longer.

You can hardly even find whole wheat bread without HFCS anymore. Not to mention partially hydrogenated oils, enriched flour, etc...

So. Life expectancy is higher than ever despite these busy-bodies trying to get into everybody's business. This crap is insidious as the Patriot Act and other government intervention which serves to either legislate morality or for the "greater common good."

Government making sure I don't get rotten meat is fine, but there's a limit to the meddling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom