Priorities (1 Viewer)

willbill

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
We have contracts of 3 of our best players that we need to rework. I am curious that if you where the GM and had to prioritize the importance of these players signings who would you deal with 1st.

1st--Marques Colston If he is signed I believe he will shatter ever team recieving record if he is signed to a long term contract. He IMHO is a special talent!!
2nd--Jahri Evans Another steal from the same draft to me is in the top 5 at his position in the league and will make probowls for years to come.
3rd--Will Smith. His lofty draft status has placed high expectations on his head and to be honest he hasnt lived up to his end of the bargain. He is a good player but I can think of several DE around the league that I would rather have.

Thats my take!!

IMO, Smith has lived up to his expectations. Last year, NO ONE performed up to expectations. He's been to a Pro Bowl, while Grant got PAID and has yet to be to the Pro Bowl. With the talk of trading Smith (of course not serious talks), I say get his contract done early or trade him. Make up their minds before the draft.

Evans should be done by mid season. He's good for depth at the very least.

I'm not even worried about Colston's deal. It'll be done without any serious delays or issues.

Smith
Evans
Colston

1st Colston - He's insturmental to this offense, and poses the least treat of creating contract troubles. IMO

2nd Smith - He's earned his big contract, but I feel that it's going to be a long drawn out process getting him signed after the deal that they gave Grant. I'm sure Smith's agent is arguing that Smith should be paid more based on preformance, and maybe he's right, but can we really afford to do that?

3rd - Evans - A fair contract should get the job done. He's an excellent value for where he was drafted, but he's no threat to hold the front office over a barrel.

You are missing Vilma's contract. He has to be signed by the end of next season.

willbill, I thought you may be interested on this: both Lito Sheppard and Jeremy Shockey are signed until 2011.

The one thing you really have to credit the FO with is the ability to resign players.
I think all the current fuss about Smith and the worry about Colston is entirely unnecessary. Loomis has proved very good at protecting what he has.

Now if he can use this draft to get us one or two instant impact players rather than the squad of long-range developmental types he grabbed in 2007 I would be very happy.

willbill, I thought you may be interested on this: both Lito Sheppard and Jeremy Shockey are signed until 2011.

I am curious how their contract is structured and if they where acquired if they would be redone. Thanks for the information its good to know.

He's been to a Pro Bowl, while Grant got PAID and has yet to be to the Pro Bowl.

Pro Bowls dont mean diddly poop. Roy Williams made the Pro Bowl this year and he is among the worst safeties in the league.

You are missing Vilma's contract. He has to be signed by the end of next season.

I really wish they would redo his sooner rather than later. If he comes to camp and its apparent that he is ready to dominate then I hope they don't wait until the end of the year. Because we don't wont to have him for 1 year and let him go if he is a dominant player. I would rather Franchise Vilma than Smith after next season assuming he does for the defense what Drew did for the offense.

how can you seriously say will smith has not lived up to expectations, he has been one of the best d ends in the league. i bet you julius peppers is one of the players you would rather have right? his numbers were atrocious last year.

Smith is the old man in this group (think), and he comes first. He knows what Grant's contract is, and he wants and deserves the money.

JMO here, but I think this holdout crap is coming from his agent. And Will rolls with it.

Next, Colston. Lets wrap this guy up asap.

Evans? Yep, he ranks right up there. As a Guard he will. I'll stop there, but leave the line in the post.

Anyone that wonders why we don't spend the big bucks on FAs, these 3 and the 10 pick will cost us a bundle.

ddd

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom