Pro Football Focus - Biggest takeaways from Steelers at Saints (1 Viewer)

Scotlandsaint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-pit-no-grades-roethlisberger-brown-shine/

Top offensive grades:
FB Austin Johnson, 79.6
WR Willie Snead, 79.6
QB Drew Brees, 78.2
G Senio Kelemete, 77.1
C Max Unger, 76.1

Notable offensive linemen have issues once again

Left guard Tim Lelito gave up two pressures to bring his preseason total to seven in three partial games. Lelito surprisingly has graded below-average in all three games. LT Terron Armstead played just six snaps before leaving the game, but allowed two pressures on three snaps in pass protection and was called for a holding penalty on one. Last year’s first-round pick Andrus Peat continues to struggle after his third-straight below-average game, and is now among the lowest-graded offensive linemen in the league through three games. In all, Saints quarterbacks were pressured on 44 percent of dropbacks against the Steelers. On the positive side, starting center Max Unger had his best outing thus far in the preseason.

Top defensive grades:
CB Delvin Breaux, 85.6
DE Obum Gwacham, 83.2
LB Dannell Ellerbe, 82.8
CB Ken Crawley, 79.7
DE Matt Shaughnessy, 78.8

CB Delvin Breaux continues to perform well

Friday night was another solid outing from CB Delvin Breaux, who allowed one four-yard pass to be completed out of the backfield on 21 snaps in coverage. Through two preseason games, he has now been targeted four times, allowed two catches for a total of 12 yards, and had a pass defensed on 31 snaps in coverage. Fellow corner P.J. Williams didn’t fare as well, allowing four catches on four targets for 65 yards. Defensive end Obum Gwacham had a hit that was nullified by a penalty, a batted pass, and forced two holding penalties during run defense.

I thought Gwacham looked really good as well. He could be a welcome addition to the starting rotation.

Crawley is also clearly the better player compared to Harris.

The way that the o-line is looking, I'm not sure that we are going to get this ship corrected before Drew retires. Offensive line play has been abysmal! We improve the defense, only to watch the offense slip.

With no pass rush it is criminal to send any DBs much less rookies out there having to guard guys for as long as they have to. Organization and fans will continue to crucify them when in fact you can't get a good read on their performance with no help from pressure on the QB. Saints were completely negligent in not addressing this in off season. Spending money on a TE and slow MLB while having a lot of dollars allocated to RB position were really stupid decisions.

I think we are better off with Peat as the swing tackle and just go with Keluto and Kelemente at gyards as that is their natural position.

I thought Gwacham looked really good as well. He could be a welcome addition to the starting rotation.

I disagree, I think Harris is much better than Crawley.

I disagree, I think Harris is much better than Crawley.

They both have their fortes. Harris is better in coverage, he just needs to learn how to get his head around. Crawley is better at the point of attack. Especially in screens and flat routes, the dude Usain Bolts right into the backfield to blow **** up! I like his ability to crash. Think he'll be our #4 though with Harris and Williams above him

Peat continues to improve as he stays on the right side, particularly G. No one is as big a liability as Lelito. This line will struggle as long as he is the the game. Kelemete totally outplayed him at LG but I fear Payton likes lelito too much there is no lineman on the ground more than Lelito. And when he is not in the ground, he's missing assignments

Maybe I didn't focus enough on Gwacham because I didn't see it. Agree on Crawley though. The kid can play, I think he's a baller.

Harris got burned by Antonio Brown. I'd have been more surprised if he'd locked him down than anything.

Seems like Crawley and Harris are really what and what. First game it was Crawley who had missed some tackles and gave up too much cushion, looking unsure of himself.

Harris got burned by Antonio Brown. I'd have been more surprised if he'd locked him down than anything.

Seems like Crawley and Harris are really what and what. First game it was Crawley who had missed some tackles and gave up too much cushion, looking unsure of himself.

He didn't get "burned" by AB. He had great coverage but didn't get his head around and AB somehow caught it over Harris' outstretched arms. Besides, not too many CBs in the league DONT get burned by Brown.

Totally my point, too.

The really perplexing thing is Damian Swann. Don't mind the notion that Harris and Crawley are just better, but did he regress? I won't let him getting smoked by Sammie Coates (a friggin' fast wideout) get me down too much, but interesting to keep an eye on.

I'm just glad we have one game featuring all our roster hopefuls left and then we can get to the real deal.

At least you can say Peat is still learning his position and when he applies the right technique he can win. Basically, our entire running game has been behind the right side. You cannot say the same things for Lelito. He's a nice guy but he's not going to start for any teams that are serious contenders. And Kelemete isn't much better but at least he can do swing duty at tackle. This could be the year the offense drops out of the top ten and Brees will be the unfortunate one getting the blame.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom