Pro Football Focus- Brees 9th most valuable player of all time. (1 Viewer)

Usmfan84

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In response to Brees being the most overrated QB ever this states Brees is the 9th most valuable player of all time out of any position.

Also if you look at a players ANY/A+ (another PFR stat) you see that Bree's is right up there with Marino or Brady. This stat measures a player based on 100 being an average player and a season at 120 being a really good, all pro season. Brees, Brady, & Marino all have 6 seasons over 120

NFL Career Approximate Value (Weighted) Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's some real studs in front of Drew. The only one I have a real problem with is Fran. You have to win s SB or at least make it to numerous SBs to be ahead of Drew.

JBryan314

Very Banned
Reaction score
So how are these stats compiled? Is this something Drew can advance with? I noticed he's one point below Ray Lewis. What's he need to do in order to pass Lewis? Or is that not how it works?

Consiglieri

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Nice list but I have some quibbles. Deion Sanders should be top 10 and top 2-3 defenders after Ray Lewis and maybe Reggie White. Not a fan persoanlly but he was the original "playmaker" or "shutdown corner."

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
That's some real studs in front of Drew. The only one I have a real problem with is Fran. You have to win s SB or at least make it to numerous SBs to be ahead of Drew.
you understand this is a predetermined scoring system, not someone's opinion

tinman

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Nice list but I have some quibbles. Deion Sanders should be top 10 and top 2-3 defenders after Ray Lewis and maybe Reggie White. Not a fan persoanlly but he was the original "playmaker" or "shutdown corner."
probably the most overrated corner of all! running fast, trying to get a hit(missed a lot), ****** tackling & returning kicks, DO NOT make you the GOAT! he returned some int & punts, but was 1 dimensional & SCARED of contact!
my favorite quote about deion, is from bronko nagurski(the last true iron man playing both sides). when asked about deion playing both ways, said he plays 3 snaps a game on offense & he couldn't tackle my wife!

who dat!
A

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So how are these stats compiled? Is this something Drew can advance with? I noticed he's one point below Ray Lewis. What's he need to do in order to pass Lewis? Or is that not how it works?
I'd go for the obvious stabbing joke here, but Lewis shouldn't even be ranked THAT high. Rickey Jackson was twice the LB Lewis was (and I am being generous to Lewis here) yet because Jackson didn't convulse as he was stepping on hot coals out the tunnel nor pretended to be a preacher in the huddle, Jackson is listed 54th. This is why I am not too fond of these arbitrary rankings, which have to do more with popularity, team's market share, etc., than any actual, effective comparison between 2 or more players.

Also, this most be the so-called "modern era", because I don't see guys like Otto Graham or Jim Brown in there.

JBryan314

Very Banned
Reaction score
Deion and Lewis were much better than the last two posters think they were, but I'm not sure I would place either of them above Brees either.

OP
Usmfan84

Usmfan84

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He can approve. It's based on games with a normal performance ranking 100 on their scale if you look around the site. Drew has had 7 with a ranking of 120 which is amazing. If he has games like that he can move up still.

OP
Usmfan84

Usmfan84

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go for the obvious stabbing joke here, but Lewis shouldn't even be ranked THAT high. Rickey Jackson was twice the LB Lewis was (and I am being generous to Lewis here) yet because Jackson didn't convulse as he was stepping on hot coals out the tunnel nor pretended to be a preacher in the huddle, Jackson is listed 54th. This is why I am not too fond of these arbitrary rankings, which have to do more with popularity, team's market share, etc., than any actual, effective comparison between 2 or more players.

Also, this most be the so-called "modern era", because I don't see guys like Otto Graham or Jim Brown in there.
The list is still pure math rated as total value compared to the rest of the league. Being 54th all time is pretty damn good. The HoF has 295 players. Think about that, Jackson is better than 4/5th of those players. Think about this, the NFL every year has 1700 players. It's been around since 1920. That is a lot of players that have come and gone. 54th all time is nothing to sneeze at. Ricky Jackson played on a defense full of studs so his value was dropped a little. For instance look how high Peppers is. That makes sense though because when he played for Carolina their team was constantly injured at the line backing position so his plays had much more value to them when he made big plays. He was virtually the best player on that defense.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The list is still pure math rated as total value compared to the rest of the league. Being 54th all time is pretty damn good. The HoF has 295 players. Think about that, Jackson is better than 4/5th of those players. Think about this, the NFL every year has 1700 players. It's been around since 1920. That is a lot of players that have come and gone. 54th all time is nothing to sneeze at. Ricky Jackson played on a defense full of studs so his value was dropped a little. For instance look how high Peppers is. That makes sense though because when he played for Carolina their team was constantly injured at the line backing position so his plays had much more value to them when he made big plays. He was virtually the best player on that defense.
I watched Rickey Jackson play. I don't care about mathz (stats) in football. And I can tell you, Rickey Jackson was a much better LB than Lewis.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Deion and Lewis were much better than the last two posters think they were, but I'm not sure I would place either of them above Brees either.
If you are indeed 30 years old, you were 9-10 years old when Rickey Jackson retired. How can you objectively assess Jackson's play vis a vis Lewis' play?

OP
Usmfan84

Usmfan84

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I watched Rickey Jackson played. I don't care about mathz (stats) in football. And I can tell you, Rickey Jackson was a much better LB than Lewis.
Same here. Our family has been season ticket holders my whole life. Maybe he was better but Ray Lewis had more impact plays per snap. Of course most Saints fans will say Rickey Jackson is better because we are Saints fans.

Rickey Jackson- Tackles 1173, Forced Fumble 40 (amazing), INT 8. Sacks 128.

Ray Lewis- Tackles 1562, Forced Fumble 19, INT 31, Sacks 41.5

Based off these stats it's hard to compare the two. Rickey Jackson was a pass rusher and should be compared to LT moreso than Lewis. Ray Lewis was a tackling machine plus a coverage back. He had 81 PD to Rickey Jackson's none. Ray Lewis was around when teams started passing every down almost so it's possible the math weighs his higher since he was so damn good at covering.

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Same here. Our family has been season ticket holders my whole life. Maybe he was better but Ray Lewis had more impact plays per snap. Of course most Saints fans will say Rickey Jackson is better because we are Saints fans.

Rickey Jackson- Tackles 1173, Forced Fumble 40 (amazing), INT 8. Sacks 128.

Ray Lewis- Tackles 1562, Forced Fumble 19, INT 31, Sacks 41.5

Based off these stats it's hard to compare the two. Rickey Jackson was a pass rusher. Ray Lewis was a tackling machine plus a coverage back. He had 81 PD to Rickey Jackson's none. Ray Lewis was around when teams started passing every down almost so it's possible the math weighs his higher since he was so damn good at covering.

And Lewis won SBs with a second string QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blessedog The Raiders played Saints Football and Won Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Need a reminder of Drew Brees' iconic Monday Night football history? Check out his pre-game cleats Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints vs. Raiders: Monday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Update: Cantrell allows High School Football to start with some fans @ games. Still no word on Saints Games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Nightshade If 2020 was a football team lol Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Fan confidence high as Saints head to Vegas for tonight’s Monday Night Football showdown Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the Saints can attack the Raiders through the air tonight on Monday Night Football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints vs. Raiders odds, line: NFL picks, Monday Night Football predictions from model on 100-65 roll SR News Page Articles 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 21: Injury reports and betting odds heading into Saints Monday Night Football game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No sleep, all football: How Sean Payton got his foot in the NFL door thanks to Jon Gruden Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Patriots vs. Seahawks: Sunday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
WATCH: Week 2 preview video, Saints and Raiders on Monday Night Football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints social media reactions to Joe Burrow’s Thursday Night Football debut Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bengals vs. Browns: Thursday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
woohoosaint Roddy White gets consideration for Pro Football HoF...but Colston doesn't Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47
El Caliente N/S Pro Football Hall of Fame First Year Nominees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
Social media reactions to Monday Night Football snoozefest Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Titans vs. Broncos: Monday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Steelers vs. Giants: Monday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Making sense of pandemic football policies in New Orleans while applying common sense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Twitter reactions to Chiefs dominating win on Thursday Night Football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Cincy Saint Football Outsiders predict Saints-Chiefs Super Bowl Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Consiglieri Football season: chance of happening is approaching 100% Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 11
superchuck500 It's going to be sloppy - just chill and be happy we have football Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
RedJem We made it... Football is back!! Season opener / Saints updates 9-10-20 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
El Caliente Happy 1st Day of NFL Football Everyone Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
KingNene The Saints focus on Special Teams wins them ball games. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Andrus Focus on New Orleans: Why Raiders should be worried about how Saints won opener SR News Page Articles 0
Brees cleats Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Billgluckman Drew brees (yeah I know) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 29
After the Brees int.. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
Brees INT....Downhill from there!!! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
Empty stadiums may make the hard count more effective for veteran QBs like Drew Brees Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees, Saints a good bet in Las Vegas on Monday night Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interview with the Enemy: Las Vegas Raiders expect to upset Drew Brees and the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Emmanuel Sanders says Saints and Brees are unified, ready to pick up slack for Michael Thomas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DomePatrol2005 Yahoo article throws some shade Brees way Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 54
Drew Brees and Tom Brady finish 1st showdown as divisional foes seeking more Saints RSS News Feeds 0
bigcarlittlewill Drew Brees licked his fingers 66 times or more last night Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Barnwell: Handing out 13 QB awards for Week 1, from Brady and Brees to Burrow and Wentz Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Beignets and Café au Lait: Brees 1 - Brady 0 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Kamara The pre-2017 Drew Brees has a 3 interception game on days like today Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Brees was subpar Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 43
Watch: On Drew Brees' day, Demario Davis' contract, Jenkins' pick-six, more as Saints beat Bucs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Drew Brees Postgame After Week 1 Win vs. Buccaneers | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
NOLAJM504 Brees long-ball, is it low-key back? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 53
Brees' latest NFL record: Career pass attempts Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints QB Drew Brees breaks Brett Favre's career passing attempts record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees breaks career pass attempts record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Brees-Brady: There will only Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2