Pro Football Focus- Brees 9th most valuable player of all time. (1 Viewer)

Usmfan84

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In response to Brees being the most overrated QB ever this states Brees is the 9th most valuable player of all time out of any position.

Also if you look at a players ANY/A+ (another PFR stat) you see that Bree's is right up there with Marino or Brady. This stat measures a player based on 100 being an average player and a season at 120 being a really good, all pro season. Brees, Brady, & Marino all have 6 seasons over 120

NFL Career Approximate Value (Weighted) Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That's some real studs in front of Drew. The only one I have a real problem with is Fran. You have to win s SB or at least make it to numerous SBs to be ahead of Drew.

So how are these stats compiled? Is this something Drew can advance with? I noticed he's one point below Ray Lewis. What's he need to do in order to pass Lewis? Or is that not how it works?

Nice list but I have some quibbles. Deion Sanders should be top 10 and top 2-3 defenders after Ray Lewis and maybe Reggie White. Not a fan persoanlly but he was the original "playmaker" or "shutdown corner."

That's some real studs in front of Drew. The only one I have a real problem with is Fran. You have to win s SB or at least make it to numerous SBs to be ahead of Drew.

you understand this is a predetermined scoring system, not someone's opinion

Nice list but I have some quibbles. Deion Sanders should be top 10 and top 2-3 defenders after Ray Lewis and maybe Reggie White. Not a fan persoanlly but he was the original "playmaker" or "shutdown corner."

probably the most overrated corner of all! running fast, trying to get a hit(missed a lot), ****** tackling & returning kicks, DO NOT make you the GOAT! he returned some int & punts, but was 1 dimensional & SCARED of contact!
my favorite quote about deion, is from bronko nagurski(the last true iron man playing both sides). when asked about deion playing both ways, said he plays 3 snaps a game on offense & he couldn't tackle my wife!

who dat!
A

So how are these stats compiled? Is this something Drew can advance with? I noticed he's one point below Ray Lewis. What's he need to do in order to pass Lewis? Or is that not how it works?

I'd go for the obvious stabbing joke here, but Lewis shouldn't even be ranked THAT high. Rickey Jackson was twice the LB Lewis was (and I am being generous to Lewis here) yet because Jackson didn't convulse as he was stepping on hot coals out the tunnel nor pretended to be a preacher in the huddle, Jackson is listed 54th. This is why I am not too fond of these arbitrary rankings, which have to do more with popularity, team's market share, etc., than any actual, effective comparison between 2 or more players.

Also, this most be the so-called "modern era", because I don't see guys like Otto Graham or Jim Brown in there.

Deion and Lewis were much better than the last two posters think they were, but I'm not sure I would place either of them above Brees either.

He can approve. It's based on games with a normal performance ranking 100 on their scale if you look around the site. Drew has had 7 with a ranking of 120 which is amazing. If he has games like that he can move up still.

I'd go for the obvious stabbing joke here, but Lewis shouldn't even be ranked THAT high. Rickey Jackson was twice the LB Lewis was (and I am being generous to Lewis here) yet because Jackson didn't convulse as he was stepping on hot coals out the tunnel nor pretended to be a preacher in the huddle, Jackson is listed 54th. This is why I am not too fond of these arbitrary rankings, which have to do more with popularity, team's market share, etc., than any actual, effective comparison between 2 or more players.

Also, this most be the so-called "modern era", because I don't see guys like Otto Graham or Jim Brown in there.

The list is still pure math rated as total value compared to the rest of the league. Being 54th all time is pretty damn good. The HoF has 295 players. Think about that, Jackson is better than 4/5th of those players. Think about this, the NFL every year has 1700 players. It's been around since 1920. That is a lot of players that have come and gone. 54th all time is nothing to sneeze at. Ricky Jackson played on a defense full of studs so his value was dropped a little. For instance look how high Peppers is. That makes sense though because when he played for Carolina their team was constantly injured at the line backing position so his plays had much more value to them when he made big plays. He was virtually the best player on that defense.

The list is still pure math rated as total value compared to the rest of the league. Being 54th all time is pretty damn good. The HoF has 295 players. Think about that, Jackson is better than 4/5th of those players. Think about this, the NFL every year has 1700 players. It's been around since 1920. That is a lot of players that have come and gone. 54th all time is nothing to sneeze at. Ricky Jackson played on a defense full of studs so his value was dropped a little. For instance look how high Peppers is. That makes sense though because when he played for Carolina their team was constantly injured at the line backing position so his plays had much more value to them when he made big plays. He was virtually the best player on that defense.

I watched Rickey Jackson play. I don't care about mathz (stats) in football. And I can tell you, Rickey Jackson was a much better LB than Lewis.

Deion and Lewis were much better than the last two posters think they were, but I'm not sure I would place either of them above Brees either.

If you are indeed 30 years old, you were 9-10 years old when Rickey Jackson retired. How can you objectively assess Jackson's play vis a vis Lewis' play?

I watched Rickey Jackson played. I don't care about mathz (stats) in football. And I can tell you, Rickey Jackson was a much better LB than Lewis.

Same here. Our family has been season ticket holders my whole life. Maybe he was better but Ray Lewis had more impact plays per snap. Of course most Saints fans will say Rickey Jackson is better because we are Saints fans.

Rickey Jackson- Tackles 1173, Forced Fumble 40 (amazing), INT 8. Sacks 128.

Ray Lewis- Tackles 1562, Forced Fumble 19, INT 31, Sacks 41.5

Based off these stats it's hard to compare the two. Rickey Jackson was a pass rusher and should be compared to LT moreso than Lewis. Ray Lewis was a tackling machine plus a coverage back. He had 81 PD to Rickey Jackson's none. Ray Lewis was around when teams started passing every down almost so it's possible the math weighs his higher since he was so damn good at covering.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom