Pro Football Talk says Taysom isn't signing his tender sheet (1 Viewer)

that is the crux of the issue. Its a difficult negotiation for both sides. I think they are still just hammering it out. I don't think this is hardball.

It's a really difficult situation. And it sucks that it has to be Taysom, who I think is probably one of the better dudes in the sport. But it really does seem like a long-term deal in unpractical. I'm not convinced that Hill is the future at the QB position. Payton can say whatever he wants to say, but it wouldn't shock me in the least if the Saints draft a QB in the 1st round this year. With every passing year Taysom's leverage reduces. He's already 30 years ago and he will spend yet another year behind Drew Brees. I have a real difficult time seeing an NFL team paying NFL starting QB money at this point. It really is going to take him showing something this season. It really might be in his best interest to take the tender and hope for the best...because I highly doubt that the Saints would give him more than $7 million/season on a long-term deal right now.

I'm just curious as to what the plan is for him this upcoming year besides what we've been doing with him. Does he get 10-15 snaps a game at QB? That's the only way to evaluate him to pay and justify a higher yearly amount on his contract.
The snap count thing is still difficult because half of his snaps are diversion RPO plays. Until we see him execute the traditional offense in drop back fashion during the regular season, it's all speculation. I do think they (he and his agent) are playing hardball by not signing before the draft.

It's a really difficult situation. And it sucks that it has to be Taysom, who I think is probably one of the better dudes in the sport. But it really does seem like a long-term deal in unpractical. I'm not convinced that Hill is the future at the QB position. Payton can say whatever he wants to say, but it wouldn't shock me in the least if the Saints draft a QB in the 1st round this year. With every passing year Taysom's leverage reduces. He's already 30 years ago and he will spend yet another year behind Drew Brees. I have a real difficult time seeing an NFL team paying NFL starting QB money at this point. It really is going to take him showing something this season. It really might be in his best interest to take the tender and hope for the best...because I highly doubt that the Saints would give him more than $7 million/season on a long-term deal right now.

I am not thoroughly convinced either. But it could work in our favor. He hasn't proven himself in the full time role so if you sign him for starter money (starting in year 2) and he does explode then you aren't paying him elite money and you have leverage to get him to sign a contract extension that would pay him like a top half starter but not the elite kill the cap figures. If we sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal now, then he isn't going to want to wait until he is 33 or 34 to test the open market. We could have him for all of his prime years. And if he doesn't work out, this first contract isn't going to be something that puts us in cap hell. At least not by itself.

I am not thoroughly convinced either. But it could work in our favor. He hasn't proven himself in the full time role so if you sign him for starter money (starting in year 2) and he does explode then you aren't paying him elite money and you have leverage to get him to sign a contract extension that would pay him like a top half starter but not the elite kill the cap figures. If we sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal now, then he isn't going to want to wait until he is 33 or 34 to test the open market. We could have him for all of his prime years. And if he doesn't work out, this first contract isn't going to be something that puts us in cap hell. At least not by itself.

But if Taysom Hill thinks that he is a starting QB, would he want to risk locking himself into a 3-4 year contract for less than $10 million/year, knowing that he could potentially be leaving over $10 million/season on the table? Taysom has to feel that he is trapped in purgatory right now. It really might be best for Taysom to play the season out. Brees is going to be 41 years old...there is always the chance he could underachieve or get hurt (knock on wood). He may get his chance as a full-time QB to show that he belongs as a starter in the league. That's his avenue to close to $20 million per season.

But if Taysom Hill thinks that he is a starting QB, would he want to risk locking himself into a 3-4 year contract for less than $10 million/year, knowing that he could potentially be leaving over $10 million/season on the table? Taysom has to feel that he is trapped in purgatory right now. It really might be best for Taysom to play the season out. Brees is going to be 41 years old...there is always the chance he could underachieve or get hurt (knock on wood). He may get his chance as a full-time QB to show that he belongs as a starter in the league. That's his avenue to close to $20 million per season.

I don't think we have to offer less than 10 per. With the CBA going up we can put more on the table. The part that gets most teams in cap hell is ridiculous signing bonuses and I don't think he can demand something insane there.

the length of the negotiation is simply because there is nobody else in his particular circumstances to give the negotiations a starting point. All that stuff gets started on some kind of comparison level and goes from there.

Offer him 4 years 24 mil, with 12 mil guaranteed at signing

Then put escalators in the final 3 years that could pay him up to 16 million per in those years if he hits starting QB snaps

2020: 1 mil salary, 2 mil SB (fully guaranteed)
2021: 3 mil salary (10 mil incentives), 2 mil SB (fully guaranteed)
2022 and 2023: 6 mil salary (10 mil in incentives added), 2 mil sb

Gives him the financial security he's looking for in the 12 million guaranteed, and pays him as a middle of the road starting QB if he wins the job

I got no clue what goes on, but I would wait to sign just to see what the Saints do in the draft.

I See Taysom Starting on another team.
New England

Last edited:
I don't think we have to offer less than 10 per. With the CBA going up we can put more on the table. The part that gets most teams in cap hell is ridiculous signing bonuses and I don't think he can demand something insane there.

the length of the negotiation is simply because there is nobody else in his particular circumstances to give the negotiations a starting point. All that stuff gets started on some kind of comparison level and goes from there.

What you saying makes perfect sense if the Saints actually thought that Taysom Hill was the long-term answer, but I just don't see it happening because: 1) The Saints plan to use Taysom in his typical role this season which will pre-dispose him to injury, and 2) The Saints know that they have Taysom locked up for roughly $5 million this season...and the Saints are incredibly strapped for cash...to the point that they are intentionally adding dead money to multiple players.

Offer him 4 years 24 mil, with 12 mil guaranteed at signing

Then put escalators in the final 3 years that could pay him up to 16 million per in those years if he hits starting QB snaps

2020: 1 mil salary, 2 mil SB (fully guaranteed)
2021: 3 mil salary (10 mil incentives), 2 mil SB (fully guaranteed)
2022 and 2023: 6 mil salary (10 mil in incentives added), 2 mil sb

Gives him the financial security he's looking for in the 12 million guaranteed, and pays him as a middle of the road starting QB if he wins the job
Unfortunately, for to cba, you can't escalate more than a certain percentage between years.

Teddy got 7mil. To ride pine... As insurance for breakfast injury.. this year treats expected to be the insurance and joker...,.

But Teddy was a proven starter. Not many backups make 7mil a year. Teddy was the highest paid last year. No backups with 15 career passes make 7mil/yr. Taysom's role is going to require us to carry a 3rd QB so we're either going to have to spend a draft pick or cap space and a roster spot on a clipboard holder.

He's better off signing his tender.

This value is so tough he’s better off playing out the season at 4.6 which is probably more than his career earnings and signing long term next year. What do you pay a guy that had 150 rushing yards, 230 receiving yards and 7 touchdowns last year. Probably no more than his tender. What do you pay a good backup QB? Probably no more than his tender. What do you pay a top special teams player? A lot less than his tender.

True, but what do you pay someone that can do all of the above?

What you saying makes perfect sense if the Saints actually thought that Taysom Hill was the long-term answer, but I just don't see it happening because: 1) The Saints plan to use Taysom in his typical role this season which will pre-dispose him to injury, and 2) The Saints know that they have Taysom locked up for roughly $5 million this season...and the Saints are incredibly strapped for cash...to the point that they are intentionally adding dead money to multiple players.

the strapped for cash part is certainly true and will be for the next 2 years. But I have confidence in Loomis in a structure that would be back end heavy. He didn't get plucked so Hill has less bargaining chips on the table now. It is a very interesting situation and I'm tuned in to see how it plays out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom