Pro Football Talk says Taysom isn't signing his tender sheet (1 Viewer)

But if Taysom Hill thinks that he is a starting QB, would he want to risk locking himself into a 3-4 year contract for less than $10 million/year, knowing that he could potentially be leaving over $10 million/season on the table? Taysom has to feel that he is trapped in purgatory right now. It really might be best for Taysom to play the season out. Brees is going to be 41 years old...there is always the chance he could underachieve or get hurt (knock on wood). He may get his chance as a full-time QB to show that he belongs as a starter in the league. That's his avenue to close to $20 million per season.

He's not refusing to lock himself into a 3-4 year contract, he's refusing to lock himself into a one year offer sheet that every RFA signs in the final team option year of their contract.

What he's doing is no different from holding out in the last year of your contract.

I assume the "you get paid millions to play a game - honor the contract you signed!!" crowd will be here en masse any minute now.

Unfortunately, for to cba, you can't escalate more than a certain percentage between years.

If I understand the CBA right that only applies to salaries.

By giving him the rest in the form of incentives it should make it a legal deal

Definitely could be wrong on that though

I'm feeling more like I hope our franchise QB is in this draft so all of this will clear up.

It's not like he's saving us a roster spot. We still have to carry a 3rd QB.

I’m not saying it’s easy to set an actual #. Both will play hardball for a while and I see nothing wrong with that. IMO, It’s really about if our organization thinks he is our future at QB or not.

If he signed the tender now, he could be traded during the draft to some team he does not want to go to.

Hey now if that's the reason..and he's going to sign the deal next monday, I'm cool with that. But if I made 645k last year I'd jump at 4.6mil this year.

He's not refusing to lock himself into a 3-4 year contract, he's refusing to lock himself into a one year offer sheet that every RFA signs in the final team option year of their contract.

What he's doing is no different from holding out in the last year of your contract.

I assume the "you get paid millions to play a game - honor the contract you signed!!" crowd will be here en masse any minute now.

@Zack Lee and I were talking about the option of a long-term extension. We weren't talking about him not signing the tender.

@Zack Lee and I were talking about the option of a long-term extension. We weren't talking about him not signing the tender.

I really thought we'd work out 2-3 year extension at $9mm-$10mm or so per year. Gives him a huge pay bump, probably offers him the best opportunity to compete for a starting job, and also sets him up for one more pay day if he proves to be starting caliber.

I'm surprised that nothing has been worked out. Taysom must really want to bet on himself. I know if I were offered 3x my career earnings for one year of play, I'd jump at it and let the rest work itself out later.

But I also appreciate a guy wanting to push all his chips in on himself. You do you, my guy.

right. I think the fact that he hasn't signed the tender is proof that those talks are ongoing. If everything that Payton has said is true, they probably don't want him to sign it. That would mean that talks have broken down and he wants to just ride it out and get to unrestricted.

right. I think the fact that he hasn't signed the tender is proof that those talks are ongoing. If everything that Payton has said is true, they probably don't want him to sign it. That would mean that talks have broken down and he wants to just ride it out and get to unrestricted.

He could easily sign the tender and restructure into his new contract. This is no doubt a leverage move (or perhaps as someone else said, protection against a draft day trade).

I'm surprised that nothing has been worked out. Taysom must really want to bet on himself. I know if I were offered 3x my career earnings for one year of play, I'd jump at it and let the rest work itself out later.

I think he absolutely wants to bet on himself and I don't know how bad you want a QB who doesn't. There just was never a way that a longer term signing was going to be quick.

I really thought we'd work out 2-3 year extension at $9mm-$10mm or so per year. Gives him a huge pay bump, probably offers him the best opportunity to compete for a starting job, and also sets him up for one more pay day if he proves to be starting caliber.

But I also appreciate a guy wanting to push all his chips in on himself. You do you, my guy.

If we give him that much we better use him a lot more on offense. Special teams players don't make that much. That's a lot for a guy with 400 yards and 7 touchdowns. I get that those stats would've been better if he could've played more during the 5 games Teddy was playing. Even if you up it to 600 yards and 10 touchdowns....That's a lot of money. You can get a good RB and a good WR for that money. You're talking double what Mark Ingram makes and he had 1,600 yards and 16 touchdowns last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom