Pro Golfer charged with killing bird! (1 Viewer)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bzZh92YtaBs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bzZh92YtaBs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Now this was an accident...and incredibly unlucky for the bird (less so for Randy Johnson too -- if it was a strike).

FWIW, according to USAtoday from 3/25/2001:

In 1983, Yankees outfielder Dave Winfield killed a seagull in Toronto with a warmup throw. Police charged him with animal cruelty, although the charge was later dropped.

That is unreal. The chances of that ever happening again are probably 1 in 1000000000000000000000000000000000000.

Actually I believe it has happened on more than one occassion but I'm most likely wrong. If the guy was truly aiming for the bird then he intended to hit it and he deserves what he gets.

Call me cruel, but i think its kinda funny. I would have loved to see the look on his face when he hit it. You know he never thought in a million years he would have hit it. Im sure he felt awful after he hit it.

"He just kept saying how he didn't think he could have hit it, which I think is a stupid thing for a PGA Tour golfer to say," said Jethro Senger, a sound engineer at the shoot. "He can put a ball in a hole from hundreds of yards away, and here he is hitting line drives at something that's, I don't know, a couple hundred feet away?"

I work at a golf course, and birds accidentally getting hit by a shot happens more often than you probably think. Other wildlife fare poorly as well (squirrels, nutria, cranes). This numbskull was freaking aiming at it. Don't do the crime etc....

Some of you act like he just raped or murdered somebody.

He probably thought he would get close and scare the bird away. When was the last time this guy had a hole in one?

Pay the fine and learn from your mistakes. Carry on.

I cant beleive someone hadnt said it already so I will.

HE GOT A BIRDIE!!! That is what pro golfers do they get birdies!

Just joking he should not have been aiming at the bird. he should have focused more attention on the guy riding around in the cage trying to pick up the balls. he is always fun to hit

T

He probably thought he would get close and scare the bird away. When was the last time this guy had a hole in one?

Pay the fine and learn from your mistakes. Carry on.

No, some of us act like he deliberately and cruelly killed a bird.

Really? Seriously? You think this is as outraged as people get about murder? This is the collective level of anger over rape? Seriously?

I think it's awesome that you accuse people of overreacting and in the same breath engage in hyperbole yourself :9:

I will start by saying the golfer was wrong and deserves the penalty he gets. He knows he was wrong and probably realized it when he hit the bird and knew he had killed it.

It was a cruel act. I am curious though, was it the species of bird that made it cruel? Are people mad because he killed a bird or because this bird is better than other birds?

For instance, had he hit into a flock of ten thousand blackbirds intentionally and killed one, would we be having this discussion? Is killing a blackbird less cruel? What if he had killed a harmless kingsnake?

I wonder not because I am justifying what he did. It was clearly wrong and unnecessarily cruel. It just made me think about running around as a boy and trying to shoot blackbirds with my bb gun(and letting my boys do the same at the camp). Does the fact that blackbirds are so numerous and less protected make me any less cruel? I dont know the answer to that one. I do believe we are born with a hunter's instinct and I can see it as I watch a six yr old with a bb gun stalk a bird. they look like a cat stalking a mouse. You dont have to teach a boy, just give them a gun and let him go.

I guess thats a whole other subject. Killing a hawk really seems sick to me. It just makes me wonder why it doesnt bother me as much with lesser birds. Maybe its because we are born to hunt and its kind of a training thing. I sure like duck hunting and justify it I guess because we eat the birds. Shooting a duck is more humane than what they do to the chickens we eat.

Still, it would be kind of hard to argue the main reason I hunt is for food. I could buy it way cheaper. It is the enjoyment of the hunt and I believe its natural because its instinctive. I wonder.

Wow, what a threadjack:covri: I didnt mean it that way, I just wandered while I wondered.

I will start by saying the golfer was wrong and deserves the penalty he gets. He knows he was wrong and probably realized it when he hit the bird and knew he had killed it.

It was a cruel act. I am curious though, was it the species of bird that made it cruel? Are people mad because he killed a bird or because this bird is better than other birds?

For instance, had he hit into a flock of ten thousand blackbirds intentionally and killed one, would we be having this discussion? Is killing a blackbird less cruel? What if he had killed a harmless kingsnake?

I wonder not because I am justifying what he did. It was clearly wrong and unnecessarily cruel. It just made me think about running around as a boy and trying to shoot blackbirds with my bb gun(and letting my boys do the same at the camp). Does the fact that blackbirds are so numerous and less protected make me any less cruel? I dont know the answer to that one. I do believe we are born with a hunter's instinct and I can see it as I watch a six yr old with a bb gun stalk a bird. they look like a cat stalking a mouse. You dont have to teach a boy, just give them a gun and let him go.

I guess thats a whole other subject. Killing a hawk really seems sick to me. It just makes me wonder why it doesnt bother me as much with lesser birds. Maybe its because we are born to hunt and its kind of a training thing. I sure like duck hunting and justify it I guess because we eat the birds. Shooting a duck is more humane than what they do to the chickens we eat.

Still, it would be kind of hard to argue the main reason I hunt is for food. I could buy it way cheaper. It is the enjoyment of the hunt and I believe its natural because its instinctive. I wonder.

Wow, what a threadjack:covri: I didnt mean it that way, I just wandered while I wondered.

I have to agree. Had it been a Pigeon or Dove, he would have been on the front page. IMO, I think he NEVER thought in a million years that he would hit the bird in the head at 75 yds with a golf ball. But as luck ( or bad luck ) would have it, he did and the hawk died. Unintentional ( as to actually thinking that he would kill it ) i am sure, but its a protected bird and he will have to pay for his actions.

I have to agree. Had it been a Pigeon or Dove, he would have been on the front page. IMO, I think he NEVER thought in a million years that he would hit the bird in the head at 75 yds with a golf ball. But as luck ( or bad luck ) would have it, he did and the hawk died. Unintentional (.

This part I am not sure aout. He was trying to hit the bird so its hard to say it was unintentional. I think it is fair to say he never gave much thought to the consequences of hitting the bird. He was thinking more about the challenge of it and didnt plug in how cruel it was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom