Probably an Unpopular Opinion, But I think It Should Be Said (1 Viewer)

This is the least of my concerns. Getting a real coaching staff in the building is priority uno. We still have really nice young pieces, that trade won't set us back.

The trade with Philadelphia was horrendous. And had we not made the trade with the Eagles, we could have still moved up to 11 to pick Olave without giving up the picks to Philadelphia that we gave up.

There, you said it.
And yes, Olave is worth it. There, I said it.
The deniers aren’t ready to deny the trade was awful yet. They’ll admit DA was a bad hire and maybe admit Turner is a bust, but little else. When we gift the Eagles Jalen Carter or Will Anderson next draft the tide will turn.

I've generally been against the 'Loomis maneuver' of sacrificing picks to move up in the draft, but was Olave worth the pick?

I'd have to say yes. Shaheed is showing flashes and if, IF, we ever get a healthy MT again, we would be very dangerous at the WR position.

The biggest problem is the team wasn’t just a single WR away from being a playoff team. Would Olave be worth a top 5 pick in this next draft? Maybe……

What's done is done, and we have to deal with it, but let's think about this for a minute.

Did we really have to give up that much for Chris Olave? Looking at it now, we could have stayed put and taken Christian Watson instead. Probably would have gotten the same type of production and possibly better IMO. Just an observation.
It is always easy to second guess decisions. The real question is, what potential does Olave have in the future. I think most people know his talent.

There, you said it.
And yes, Olave is worth it. There, I said it.

Olave is the real deal.

That wasnt the point though. We gave up a 1, 2, 3, 3 and 4 when we couldve just dealt straight with Washington and kept some of those picks. Im ok if they hadnt drafted Penning. We couldve got Olave, and kept our 2023 1. Even taking Penning, we still shouldnt have given up that haul by dealing with 2 teams. It handcuffed us long term. We now cant really rebuild until 2024.

Thats 5 potential cheap rookie contracts that a cap strapped team needs, upper round picks that couldve contributed and developed during a rebuild. A potential top 5 pick to grab your QB.

No one is questioning Olave. Its what we gave up that we didnt need to.

Olave is the real deal.

That wasnt the point though. We gave up a 1, 2, 3, 3 and 4 when we couldve just dealt straight with Washington and kept some of those picks. Im ok if they hadnt drafted Penning. We couldve got Olave, and kept our 2023 1. Even taking Penning, we still shouldnt have given up that haul by dealing with 2 teams. It handcuffed us long term. We now cant really rebuild until 2024.

Thats 5 potential cheap rookie contracts that a cap strapped team needs, upper round picks that couldve contributed and developed during a rebuild. A potential top 5 pick to grab your QB.

No one is questioning Olave. Its what we gave up that we didnt need to.

There's no guarantee we would have been able to pull off the trade directly with Washington. You never know. Obviously looking back on it, that's the route we wish we had gone.

Now we just need to hope that Penning pans out. If he does, this won't be a big deal. But it still goes back to Loomis being somehow blinded into thinking that we could compete with this coaching staff and being fooled completely. Even with our quarterback situation, with how pitiful this division is and the talent on current roster we should have had this division locked up by now. If we had just done what we were supposed to do and not dribbled down our leg the entire season that Eagles pick would be low 20s at worst.

I hope I never hear the word "continuity" again. Leaving a couple of substitute teachers (at best) in charge to run a Hall of Fame coaches system will go down as one of the biggest blunders in this franchises history.

Edit: Brightside, to your point of not being able to really rebuild until 2024 - I don't think we would have been able to anyway with how many players are accounting for dead cap in 2023. That, paired with the fact that the 2024 QB class will be light years better than 2023, I still don't think the future is as bad as it may seem now. Just have to get fresh staff in the building.

The deniers aren’t ready to deny the trade was awful yet. They’ll admit DA was a bad hire and maybe admit Turner is a bust, but little else. When we gift the Eagles Jalen Carter or Will Anderson next draft the tide will turn.
What if Jalen Carter or Will Anderson or whoever they draft bust out? Penning and Olave are going to be great players in the NFL. We wont have the answer on the trade until 3-4 years from now.

Exactly...what was the point of drafting Penning in 2022? So we can develop him to be a full time contributor in '23? Why not draft a lineman that can play in '23....in '23?

He was always raw...a project player, made no sense to take him early....you know who Tennesee has starting at Tackle this season? a rookie taken in the 3rd GD round. Why did we need to use a first to get absolutely nothing out of this season.
Why? Because after Sean hit the eject button on NOLA, the power structure in the FO (the L & L twins Loomis and Lauscha) are bean counters. There’s no strong football man with any power in the building, and the results are what you get.

My experience is any business left to the accountants loses core focus; the Saints are no different . I only hope Gayle reads SR and the Saints board at TD to get a sense of reality vs her L&L yes men.

Last edited:
i want to know what olave was yelling towards allen when they took him and shaheed out the game on a crucial third down (i believe it was the callaway drop)

cant rem the exact plays, but it was twice during the game olave and shaheed had to come out. just terrible calling by carmichael. hes trying the subs like payton did and it just doesnt work the same without the ring leader.

hopefully payton takes carmichael with him in january.
really? the rook was yelling at the coach? that speaks volumes if true, anyone have that clip?

Overpaying is overpaying. Olave is a great talent and worthy of a first, but not two firsts. That should only happen for franchise QBs. Its okay to say it was a bad trade (which it was) and still recognize that he is a great player. This is by no means a knock on Olave, just the FO.
how is it 2 1's? they swapped next years for now. Davenport was 2 1's..

What's done is done, and we have to deal with it, but let's think about this for a minute.

Did we really have to give up that much for Chris Olave? Looking at it now, we could have stayed put and taken Christian Watson instead. Probably would have gotten the same type of production and possibly better IMO. Just an observation.
But we also got Shahid for free. Who is already our second best receiver. If only we had an OC that utilized his best talent.

What if Jalen Carter or Will Anderson or whoever they draft bust out? Penning and Olave are going to be great players in the NFL. We wont have the answer on the trade until 3-4 years from now.
I’ll take my chances with either over Olave (good but no Diggs, Jetts, Chase, etc.).

Reference was for the Eagles, if we had the pick it’s a top QB. History is likely to show our moves leading up to the draft were a huge mistake. After all, we were sold it’s a playoff team and the pick in the 20s was not too much to give up. Turns out Loomis had no clue of DAs coaching acumen though the Raider stint should’ve been a red flag. Rarely (maybe never) do 8-28 coaches get a 2nd chance (Raiders dysfunction or not); there were plenty of poor HC decisions by DA as Raider HC as well.

really? the rook was yelling at the coach? that speaks volumes if true, anyone have that clip?
i wish i could rem what time it was. sometme in the 4th. olave and shaheed came off the field and olave was facing allen and yelling. and someone behind olave put his arm around olave and pulled him back and olave kept talking. i believe it was the 3rd down to callaway. but not 100% sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom