NFL Problem with 17 game schedule. (1 Viewer)

jasonsw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Listening to the N.F.L pregame show and they mentioned a problem with the 17 game schedule I have never heard. 17 games would lead to an uneven split between home and road games.

One analyst went on to mention. Well one a team can have 9 home games and next year the alternate to 8.

I see big problems with that solution. It is hard to imagine owners willing to give up revenue from one home game every other year.

What other problems do you see from a 17 game schedule?

Last edited:
solutionhing the N.F.L pregame show and they mentioned a problem with the 17 game schedule I have never heard. 17 games would lead to an uneven split between home and road games.

One analyst went on to mention. Well one a team can have 9 home games and next year the alternate to 8.

I see big problems with that solution. It is hard to imagine owners willing to give up revenue from one home game every other year.

Likely the extra game would be a London game for every team.

How would they determine who each team plays for their 17th game?
Exactly. Great point. Right now the 16 game schedule is perfect. You know at the end of the year what teams are going to be on the schedule next season. Plus, at that point of the year don't want to watch an extra regular season game. If the Saints have bad year ready for season to be over. If they are doing great I'm ready for the playoffs to start

My solution - and I've talked about this for a long time - is eight home games and one neutral game a year in a U.S. city that does not have NFL football. Omaha, St. Louis, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Oakland (next year), Sacramento, Billings, Des Moines, Atlanta (a joke), Washington DC (another joke), Toronto (ok, non-U.S.), Fairbanks, Honolulu, San Antonio. Fans from the teams towns would travel and the home city would love the publicity, excitement, and business. It could be a lot of fun and way for neutral sites to claim a piece of the NFL action. More revenue for teams, more game for fans, and more marketing opportunities for the league.

The 17th game can be a random drawing of a team in the conference you have not yet played. There are six per team so it would not be that hard to have them match-up.
Not bad, that might work..... and i really like the neutral field idea

It's a very easy schedule to make. The 17th game is a neutral site game, you have 16 weeks of neutral site games during a 20 week season. Two bye weeks. Neutral site games are in weeks 3-18. The neutral site games are in four blocks of four weeks in a row. The games are set as playing the same out of Conference opponents that you played last season, same place finishers. It would work out very easy logistically. If you had a set of four games in London, all the equipment needed could be sent over and stay for a month. Practice facilities could be set up and stay in place for a month. You could even have a "season ticket" package for the four games in whatever city the games were in. You could do two cities with eight games each, or two cities of four games and one with eight.

They could have Saints/Cowboys in Shreveport where they play the Independence Bowl. I am sure there are dozens of other options just like that.

Listening to the N.F.L pregame show and they mentioned a problem with the 17 game schedule I have never heard. 17 games would lead to an uneven split between home and road games.

Mainly, that it's not doable. You would have to make it 18, and do away with 2 pre-season games. That's the only way to do it.

The 17th game can be a random drawing of a team in the conference you have not yet played. There are six per team so it would not be that hard to have them match-up.

I like this but from the other conference since those teams meet seldom in the current system.

The problem with the neutral site idea is the lack of NFL ready stadiums in most of those areas. See the field issues that were prominent in some of the pre season games.

If they do just 17 games and not a full 18 I can picture them making every team go to London once a year. So that way it would still be 8 and 8 split.

I'm think they are going with 17 for only ONE reason; The NFLPA will NOT agree to an 18-game season. As J.T. laid out above, scheduling wouldn't be an issue and I like the 8 home/8 away/1 neutral aspect of it. Maybe 2 CBAs down the road, the NFLPA will support an 18-game season, but not now.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the NFLPA just told the league, "Ok, you can have your 18-game season, BUT you have to cut AT LEAST 2 (if not 3) pre-season games, each team has 2 bye weeks, expand the roster, AND NO MORE THURSDAY NIGHT GAMES for team not coming off a bye."

I'm think they are going with 17 for only ONE reason; The NFLPA will NOT agree to an 18-game season. As J.T. laid out above, scheduling wouldn't be an issue and I like the 8 home/8 away/1 neutral aspect of it. Maybe 2 CBAs down the road, the NFLPA will support an 18-game season, but not now.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the NFLPA just told the league, "Ok, you can have your 18-game season, BUT you have to cut AT LEAST 2 (if not 3) pre-season games, each team has 2 bye weeks, expand the roster, AND NO MORE THURSDAY NIGHT GAMES for team not coming off a bye."

All Thursday Night games should have teams coming off a BYE. The 17 game schedule, with a 19 week schedule works easily. The 17th game is easy. Saints played AFC East last year. The Saints and Ravens were both first in their divisions. They would play each other this year at a neutral site.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom