problems with common core (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

“Contrary to our expectation, we found that [Common Core] had significant negative effects on 4th graders’ reading achievement during the 7 years after the adoption of the new standards, and had a significant negative effect on 8th graders’ math achievement 7 years after adoption based on analyses of NAEP composite scores,” the Center on Standards, Alignment, Instruction and Learning (C-SAIL) preliminary study said. “The size of these negative effects, however, was generally small.”

The study found not only lower student achievement since Common Core, but also performed data analysis suggesting students would have done better if Common Core had never existed. The achievement declines also grew worse over time, study coauthor Mengli Song told Chalkbeat, an education news website: “That’s a little troubling.”

quite honestly i had problems with common core for many other reasons, but i assumed that it would at least show minimal growth or stasis
and, yes, this is one study but yikes

So happy I was given a drama enrichment class 5 years ago and don't have to deal with that stuff.

I get what they were trying to do, encourage kids to think and visualize math without having to depend on writing out every step. My kids were just faster when they wrote it out, so they never bothered to visualize the equation. It really is burdensome to jump through the hoops on homework when it was easy to just write it out plainly "the old way".

I get what they were trying to do, encourage kids to think and visualize math without having to depend on writing out every step. My kids were just faster when they wrote it out, so they never bothered to visualize the equation. It really is burdensome to jump through the hoops on homework when it was easy to just write it out plainly "the old way".

Then someone is doing a piss poor job of teaching.

Then someone is doing a piss poor job of teaching.
i m about ready to believe that math is a separate category
my oldest has always been super strong verbally and has almost instant recall with any sound he hears - math has ALWAYS been a struggle
it's like whatever he learns is written in sand and will wash away fairly quickly

My fundamental question is if it is dropping that grade level achievement. Is it increasing it down the road?

I.e. hard barrier up front, delayed reward?

On that video, the first video is teaching the concept. The second is doing a multiplication problem when you already know how. If a teacher that on a white board at that speed teaching it to kids who didn't know, they wouldn't be teaching so it's not apples to apples. I could make the same video where someone who knew common core could write that all out just as fast as the video of the guy doing it the old way.

I have no experience with common core as I was out of school before it was a thing and my child is 11 months old so she isn't doing math yet, but I will say I got in trouble a lot in school for not showing my work because I had my own mental tricks of how to do these things without writing it out. For example, I would solve the problem in that video in my head by multiplying 30 x12 and 5x12 and adding them together which is more similar to the way it used to be taught without having to imagine zeros here and there.

You do realize that the method she is teaching is actually how it is done in other parts of the world correct? And while they are making fun of that method, it is actually very quick to do as it involves place value with multiplication. Some of my 4 th grade student prefer it and can get the answer quicker and with less mistakes than with what the US considers the standard algorithm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom