Professionalism of Saints Front Office Much Improved (1 Viewer)

SammyDaLoon

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When Loomis first took over I noticed a positive change in the way he conducted our beloved team’s front office. I liked his aggressive nature with the Sullivan trade even though it didn’t work out. I feel as though Loomis relied on the football men in charge at the time, mainly Haslett, McCarthy, Mueller Jr. & Venturi. That combination proved to be a bad mix, but let’s not forget that Randy Mueller selected the group above. If you all remember correctly there was much talk about Haslett not agreeing with Mickey on lots of things. Can you blame Loomis now for not agreeing with Haslett? I think that we might all agree that Loomis was trying to make chicken salad with bones & lettuce now that hindsight is 20/20. However, after Loomis had a chance to evaluate the entire situation (fire Haslett) and put his stamp on the organization with the selection of Sean I have noticed a drastic difference in the way the Saints front office operates. The Saints are finally both smart and aggressive. They make better football decisions in a number of different areas. #1 overall is that they seem to have their core beliefs in place and working. They also have proven to me that they are much better at mitigating contract disputes, retaining core players, scouting players, conducting trades, media relations, and draft dealings. I have been watching this team for over 20 years now, and I feel as though the Saints finally understand the business of NFL Football. As we all know, after Finks passed away things went into utter disarray. Finks was widely known as one of the NFL elite at his position of course, and things appear to be getting back to that level now. Again, I am talking about the cumulative efforts of the organization's business side combined with the product on the field.

Most of us fans fail to understand that our Saints Organization fights a yearly uphill battle to remain competitive when compared to high revenue generating teams such as Dallas, Washington, and New York. The teams mentioned have significant revenue advantages that they are not required to share in terms of local marketing dollars, suites sold, and stadium naming rights. We are located in a small market, and we have done an excellent job in my opinion. Sure, our wins haven’t generated a Superbowl victory. However, I feel as though we have to take into account our organization is now continually thought of as a burgeoning contender year in and year out. That folks is where you have to remain consistent in order to even begin to take the final step of contending for a Superbowl Lombardi Trophy.

Lastly, I think that Sean and Mickey have a great relationship. It seems to me that Mickey trusts Sean's opinion's on players, and then makes the necessary moves to attain said players. This is something that the Saints have not had success with since Finks. In today's NFL, it's really important to have an excellent understanding of the cap and how it relates to your team. I am going to say it right now; Mickey Loomis is the best in the business at managing the NFL Salary Cap. In fact, he was widely known as a cap genius long before he came to New Orleans and served exclusively in that capacity under Randy Mueller. Let’s don’t forget that Tom Benson selected Loomis in a controversial decision as the team’s GM. Remember fellow fans, our Saints are not laughing stocks anymore. That is a small victory in itself for this long suffering Saints Fan.

Thanks for your time today,
Samdogg

agreed, and don't actually have anything that can be added to that - well said.

I thought about this, but you expressed it better than I could of...I like the team of Loomis and Payton and it does appear now that the Saints are opperating like a real NFL Club, with trades and signings and cap managing, were aggresive like we want to win, I thought Loomis was a dud as a GM, didnt think he was qualified, I though everybody else brought in the players and he just negociated the contracts, but all those guys are gone now, but were attracting and drafting better players...dont wanna say its all Loomis cause I dont know, but I see he wasnt the blame for everything that went wrong in the other regime...

I would just add that the awesome training facility and indoor practice field the saints have is a Loomis addition as well.

I agree. Loomis has done a good job and he and Payton seem to work well together. I look forward to several good years with a good organization.

thanks chi-town saint....lol...someone tell Rita Benson-Leblanc to give me a call on my cell to thank me for the free public relations maketing post..my number is...817-879-1728...it's about time someone said something nice about her grandpa....afterall he did save the Saints from leaving town folks....I actually really like the old guy and wish I could meet the man..that would be pretty kewl...=)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom