Profootballfocus.com re-focus: Saints/Cowboys (1 Viewer)

King Mello

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Shanle better against the pass then Dunbar IMO and that is why he get more snaps there. I am definately tired of seeing people constantly run around the outside on third and 4 with Schanle so hopefully that is the role they will slowly give Dunbar

wouldnt be so sure of that either.. one of the biggest reasons we've given just about every TE in the league career games is Scott Shanle (the other of course is Harper but atleast he makes up for it in other facets of the game).. Not saying Dunbar would fair any better but if i had to put my money on either i'd take my chances with J. Dunbar

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Please stop with the Shanle bashing. He is better than Dunbar plain and simple. GW has no problems starting or benching anyone we all know that from his past. For all the decent plays Dunbar makes there is one where he attacks the wrong gap and springs a decent to long gain run, thats why Shanle is better than him. Shanle rarely hits the wrong gaps or gets confused in coverage. And Dunbar is not that much more athletic than Shanle in fact I think his aggressiveness only makes him appear more athletic when he really isn't.

gpupil

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Geez, who is the the TE for the Bengals? Watch him have a career game even tho they will lose.
Our inability to guard any tight end is far more troubling than the Shanle/Dunbar situation. If we don't get this fixed, it will be a major problem, especially against a division leading rival with a hall of fame TE.

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
Geez, who is the the TE for the Bengals? Watch him have a career game even tho they will lose.

Jermaine Gresham... the best TE in last year's draft class. Would have been a much higher pick if he wouldn't have missed his final collegiate season due to injury. He's dangerous.

Sev705

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Does anyone even remember that before this past game, Dunbar was a healthy inactive for two straight weeks. Obviously the coaches aren't impressed with what dunbar has done.

King Mello

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Does anyone even remember that before this past game, Dunbar was a healthy inactive for two straight weeks. Obviously the coaches aren't impressed with what dunbar has done.

yet he's the first LB they put on the field when they needed a backer in Dallas.. i'd say they're pretty good with what Dunbar has to offer

CHI-TOWNSAINT

More than 15K posts served!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Please stop with the Shanle bashing. He is better than Dunbar plain and simple. GW has no problems starting or benching anyone we all know that from his past. For all the decent plays Dunbar makes there is one where he attacks the wrong gap and springs a decent to long gain run, thats why Shanle is better than him. Shanle rarely hits the wrong gaps or gets confused in coverage. And Dunbar is not that much more athletic than Shanle in fact I think his aggressiveness only makes him appear more athletic when he really isn't.

Examples please. I cant remember GW benching any starting player mid-season due to poor play since he's been here.

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Examples please. I cant remember GW benching any starting player mid-season due to poor play since he's been here.

I was speaking more along the lines of previous years before here. In Buffalo ddn't he bench a 1st round high profile DE for Schobel. I know in Wash Lavarr was benched often.

CHI-TOWNSAINT

More than 15K posts served!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was speaking more along the lines of previous years before here. In Buffalo ddn't he bench a 1st round high profile DE for Schobel. I know in Wash Lavarr was benched often.

That sounds more like underachieving, hard to Coach players with ego issues. Shanle always plays balls out, he just doesn't have much talent. Go back to threads about Shanle pre-2010 season and you'll see me defending Shanle left and right, but this year he's simply been below average.

OP
OP
LickenKittens

LickenKittens

Very Banned
Reaction score
I think you could classify Shanle as an over-achiever. I can't really see him starting next year though, unless we absolutely refuse to address the position.

CDThe1

Classic Games
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dez Bryant (-3.7) turned in the worst game of his pro career as he was held without a catch (including a drop) on 5 passes targeted to him. Jon Kitna played his part but Bryant was poor on his Thanksgiving debut

Loved this one!

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
That sounds more like underachieving, hard to Coach players with ego issues. Shanle always plays balls out, he just doesn't have much talent. Go back to threads about Shanle pre-2010 season and you'll see me defending Shanle left and right, but this year he's simply been below average.

I agree, but Shanle never was a wellspring of talent and athleticism. The limitations he has now are the same as they were 2 or 3 years ago. He is not so bad to the point that replacing him with anybody would be an upgrade. Casillas beat him out during preseason and took his spot. The Saints are not opposed to putting someone out there that is out-playing Shanle. Dunbar at WILL is nowhere close to being better than Shanle, in fact Dunbar at WILL is like putting Vilma as the SAM.

In reality this likely will be Shanle's last year with us, he signed a 4 year contract in 07. I don't know if he ever re-upped. I see us making a strong push for real competitive athletic depth at OLB after the seasons over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines