Prognosis on Sheldon Rankins (1 Viewer)

If we're looking at 6 weeks he will miss 2-3 games tops, no reason to waste the IR return spot on that. Worst case scenario he has a set back but still we have an early bye that helps us.

This^^^.....we still have 3 weeks of preseason left right? Plus 3 regular season games. So according to my shaky math, he should return by game 4...am i wrong?

IR designation to return after week 8?

Idk why you got all these red thumbs. I actually think that's the best strategy for him bc we need to make sure he's able to contribute at full speed for years to come and not rush him back for his rookie year. We need him for the future - not just year 1.

I would much rather the team bring him back a few weeks after he's already healed up than he needs than to rush him back earn. Also, the 8 week IR could allow for the team to essentially add and/or try out another bubble player while Rankins is IRed.

This^^^.....we still have 3 weeks of preseason left right? Plus 3 regular season games. So according to my shaky math, he should return by game 4...am i wrong?

You are correct. If he's ready to play in a game 6 weeks after the surgery, then he should be ready to go by week 4. We have our bye on week 5, so if it takes closer to 8 weeks or the staff is very cautious, he would be ready to play week 6 vs Carolina. Basically, the FO will have to decide if an extra roster spot is more valuable than having Rankins play 2-3 more games this season.

I can't say which I'd prefer, without knowing who that roster spot would be for. I do hope the staff waits until he's completely healed and ready to play, before they bring him back, which I'm sure they will. Going to be an interesting thing to monitor as the preseason wraps up.

For all you who cannot hear the truth, listen to Poison. He only makes sense. IR designated to return.

Sure it would only help your case. It's almost like you are willing this team to lose at this point.

You might as well start wearing one of these if you dislike this team that much:
thumb.aspx

For all you who cannot hear the truth, listen to Poison. He only makes sense. IR designated to return.

The truth was that his timetable for return was said to be 4-6 weeks from now (through 1 week of preseason) and your suggestion was to IR designation to return after week 8....yeah that makes sense.

Cajun Chat, with the rule change this year, a team does not put a specific player on "IR designated to return" - so if you get your way Rankins just goes on IR and the team can decided by Week 6 if they want to bring him back. Even then Rankins cannot go active in a game until Week 8.

That would cost us an idle roster spot. The cuts are going to be brutal, a couple of extra weeks would be safer for Rankins anyway.

bobad, unless it was changed, I believe for a player to be eligible to return from IR during a season he must have been on the original week one 53 man roster. This would make your point about making room for others at the bottom of the 53 to make the roster ("costing us an idle roster spot") not really a consideration about whether to place Rankins on IR. If Rankins is placed on IR, it would be after the final 53 man roster has come out. Even then the Saints would not have Rankins available to play until Week 8 (October 30 vs Seattle) and he could only practice starting Week 6. The Week 8 game will be 10 weeks after Rankins' surgery, and he could only start practice participation with the Saints (if returned from IR) no earlier than 8 weeks after his surgery. Since he is a rookie, the Saints may want to have some limited practice participation prior to 8 weeks post-op.

Idk why you got all these red thumbs. I actually think that's the best strategy for him bc we need to make sure he's able to contribute at full speed for years to come and not rush him back for his rookie year. We need him for the future - not just year 1.

I would much rather the team bring him back a few weeks after he's already healed up than he needs than to rush him back earn. Also, the 8 week IR could allow for the team to essentially add and/or try out another bubble player while Rankins is IRed.

They're saying that typically with this type of injury that players can get back to full strength by 6 weeks. IF there's a possibility that he can be healthy by week 3 or 4 why put him on IR and be forced to lose him for half of the season?

I think you are because he can start Football Specific Rehab after 6 weeks. It will take 2-4 weeks additional to get his lungs and other muscles acclimated and up to speed. The article seems to suggest 6 weeks + Sports Rehab...so around 9 weeks which puts his return around Week 6 of the NFL Season. Its kind of a tough decision in a way bc that roster spot will be coveted.

i think he'll miss 4 games, my guess is vs panthers week 6. he had 6-8 week timetable.

6 weeks is coming back @ chargers the week before the bye. that doesnt make sense to try and rush him with the early bye. thatll give him an extra week of no game and then be back vs the panthers in the dome week 6.

Cajun Chat, with the rule change this year, a team does not put a specific player on "IR designated to return" - so if you get your way Rankins just goes on IR and the team can decided by Week 6 if they want to bring him back. Even then Rankins cannot go active in a game until Week 8.

bobad, unless it was changed, I believe for a player to be eligible to return from IR during a season he must have been on the original week one 53 man roster. This would make your point about making room for others at the bottom of the 53 to make the roster ("costing us an idle roster spot") not really a consideration about whether to place Rankins on IR. If Rankins is placed on IR, it would be after the final 53 man roster has come out. Even then the Saints would not have Rankins available to play until Week 8 (October 30 vs Seattle) and he could only practice starting Week 6. The Week 8 game will be 10 weeks after Rankins' surgery, and he could only start practice participation with the Saints (if returned from IR) no earlier than 8 weeks after his surgery. Since he is a rookie, the Saints may want to have some limited practice participation prior to 8 weeks post-op.

That is good news.

I thought IR designated to return was 6 weeks? Then you have 2 weeks to add him to the active roster or IR him for the year but he could be activated week 6. No?

Any new update on this? Been dealing with the flood and all I knew was that he was injured :rant:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom