Prognosis on Sheldon Rankins (1 Viewer)

mrwhodat

Saintiac
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like they talked to an ortho guy, pretty cool stuff on injury outlook for Rankins.

Sheldon Rankins

Typically a fibular fracture is treated with screws and plates, which allows for primary bone healing. The typical amount of time for the bone to unite is six weeks. Traditionally, that required at least 4-6 weeks in a cast but rehab can now be done in a more aggressive fashion allowing early controlled motion and graduated weight bearing. This maintains not only motion but proprioception or balance which is key to any athlete.

It's not his first time rehabbing. He'll come back stronger mentally and physically.

In the interim, it's a great opportunity for Fairley, Onyemata, & Mabry. Fairley in particular has the chance of a lifetime. All of 'em do.

I wouldn't put him on IR designated to return. I think he'll be ready for the Carolina game in week 6.

I wouldn't put him on IR designated to return. I think he'll be ready for the Carolina game in week 6.

That would cost us an idle roster spot. The cuts are going to be brutal, a couple of extra weeks would be safer for Rankins anyway.

I wouldn't put him on IR either. Why force yourself into losing what we believe to be a big part of a good defensive line for half a season . He might be good to go after week 5. We don't know. We can absorb one roster space for a few weeks.

IR designation to return after week 8?

If we're looking at 6 weeks he will miss 2-3 games tops, no reason to waste the IR return spot on that. Worst case scenario he has a set back but still we have an early bye that helps us.

The difficulty with inserting screws and plates is that they can cause residual issues for the player in terms of pain and freedom of movement. Obviously we want Rankins back on the field ASAP, but those timeframes in the OP are very short and I hope we don't rush him back too quickly.

That would cost us an idle roster spot. The cuts are going to be brutal, a couple of extra weeks would be safer for Rankins anyway.

I guess it depends on what the choices are at the last cut. If it came down to cutting Lasco vs. putting Sheldon on IR, I'd be all for putting him on IR. On the other hand, injuries or poor preseason play could simplify the cuts and then it might be better to have him back two weeks earlier.

Time will tell.

The difficulty with inserting screws and plates is that they can cause residual issues for the player in terms of pain and freedom of movement. Obviously we want Rankins back on the field ASAP, but those timeframes in the OP are very short and I hope we don't rush him back too quickly.

For all you who cannot hear the truth, listen to Poison. He only makes sense. IR designated to return.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom