Promising changes... where do we stand with Pete Carmichael? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Pete. Never have been. He has coasted for over a decade behind Sean and knew he wasn't qualified for OC when Sean left. He took it anyway. While I am excited for the players we are acquiring, I am not enthusiastic that our offense will do anything different than last year. Why are we still giving Pete another pass? I don't think he knows how to call in the red zone... Or to call anything different than rush rush pass punt.

I think his main problem is lack of confidence and a timid personality. He needs to be in the booth instead of on the sideline.

You can see the fear in his face and body language when he's out in the open.

I think his main problem is lack of confidence and a timid personality. He needs to be in the booth instead of on the sideline.

You can see the fear in his face and body language when he's out in the open.

He definitely lacks tenacity. I feel like our players are needing to self-motivate. There's no fire coming from the top.

I am not a fan of Pete. Never have been. He has coasted for over a decade behind Sean and knew he wasn't qualified for OC when Sean left. He took it anyway. While I am excited for the players we are acquiring, I am not enthusiastic that our offense will do anything different than last year. Why are we still giving Pete another pass? I don't think he knows how to call in the red zone... Or to call anything different than rush rush pass punt.
Signing Carr doesn't change the absolute car wreck that was our offensive player calling.

He deserved to be let go and nothing has changed for me.

I think people forget that Drew also had something to do with the success of the offense. Drew made changes just about every play and could cover up for any deficiencies Carmichael and CSP had. Those deficiencies became more apparent in later years as Drew could no longer force the ball downfield but could still make changes to plays that suited him and the defense he saw. It isn't all Pete, though we'll see if anything changes with Carr under center.

Pete hasn’t really had good QBs to work with since Brees retired. We expected him to turn average-below average QBs into franchise QBs, if we’re honest, and it hasn’t been a true reflection of him. The QBs we’ve had wouldn’t be any other team’s first or second choice to be a starting QB. The offense goes as far as what the QB can produce. We’ll finally get to see what his offense can really do with Carr being able to make every throw and maximize each receiver’s talent.

I don't know if there is a stand with or stand against but there definitely isn't a stand without unless you're willing to go an entire season without turning on tv, checking the internet or talking to your neighbours. I think, with both he and Allen, you're in the same boat. Either way, its is what it is. Gayle won't call me back so I can't convince her to hand over the reigns to me, or another coach. So we're heading into the season with what we have, both Allen and Carmichael. Those of us who are debby downers and those of you (not pointing fingers) who are eternal optimists are in the same boat. I can say this, and I said it in another thread. I have been very critical of Allen and Co since Payton retired. I wasn't for hiring him, I saw the reasons of continuity and the logic made some sense. However, the one thing they have done is recognize player deficiencies and move to correct those deficiencies. I wasn't for trading with Philly but they had a plan. Get a WR to compliment MT and get a franchise LT. They executed that plan. We can all talk about hindsight, what we could have gotten had we not and had the 10th pick this year but they filled what they thought were the needs (and they were needs). MT fell off on injury again, Penning got injured but their plan was sound, though we can argue execution. Same goes this year, they saw needs, RB/DT/QB and moved to fill those needs. For all the great things I can say about Payton and Co. (and I know Mickey was part of that), there were several years (more than often) where we as fans, the media and possibly everyone saw position groups that continued to be ignored off-season after off-season. DA and ML have gone into the last 2 seasons at least addressing obvious deficiencies in player personnel. They've filled those needs when in years past we might not have. For all the fault's I've been able to come up with that is one positive that is an outlier to the rest. I don't think it translates personally, because I still have little to no faith in Allen or Carmichael leading this team. My only optimism in that is hopefully Carr has enough control and leadership to offset with Allen and Carmichael lack. But again, we're on the ride, sit back and enjoy, because it aint changing.

Pete hasn’t really had good QBs to work with since Brees retired. We expected him to turn average-below average QBs into franchise QBs, if we’re honest, and it hasn’t been a true reflection of him. The offense goes as far as what the QB can produce. We’ll finally get to see what his offense can really do with Carr at QB.
Nope...not buying into that. PC called the plays, if he hamstrung a QB because he didn't feel confident in the QB, then he cut their knees off and set them up to fail.

We were told "Winston can't read pre-snap" then we were told "Dalton has a photographic memory" but the product on the field showed nothing with either. So....to me that falls on the OC's inability to field an effective attack....the QBs are just the scapegoats.

He has all the pieces he needs to make his offense work the way it's designed to as well as having the confidence calling plays aggressively with the personnel they've acquired. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think people forget that Drew also had something to do with the success of the offense. Drew made changes just about every play and could cover up for any deficiencies Carmichael and CSP had. Those deficiencies became more apparent in later years as Drew could no longer force the ball downfield but could still make changes to plays that suited him and the defense he saw. It isn't all Pete, though we'll see if anything changes with Carr under center.
Drew and SP were the offensive coordinators. PC just offered an opinion here and there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom