Promising changes... where do we stand with Pete Carmichael? (1 Viewer)

Not at all McDaniels offense is predicated on not making pre-snap reads and switching the play taking it out of the QB's hands. PC gave some of that responsibility first to JW and then to AD but neither were good at it ( See that 3rd and 1 throw to Callaway by AD) PC's and SP's offense needs that QB that can be effective with that responsibility
But shouldn't Carr have just adjusted to the offense and played within the system?

I spent most of last season dumbfounded that PC had no idea how to use AK. He’s a space player, but Pete ran him up the middle down after down. It wore him down, exposed him to unnecessary pounding, and squashed his explosiveness. Completely missed our best offensive weapon.

PC was so bad it’s hard to see how he can be at the level we need this upcoming season.

But shouldn't Carr have just adjusted to the offense and played within the system?
In order for his system to work you need superior talent at the skilled positions AND execution. Mcdaniel's frame of mind is no matter what the D does this is the play. It didn't work in Denver and it won't work in LV. The only way it worked is when Brady was QB and because Brady said F this I;m doing it the way I want. Carr tried and got frustrated, taking away one of the things he does best was like making him play with one arm. In Denver he started off great , won 6 in a row then would only win 2 more the rest of the yr , got fired the yr after . He's not a good HC , In his 1 yr as the Rams OS he was AWFUL, they got shut out TWICE that season. You think DA is bad. I have no clue why LV hired him maybe he was cheap

Jameis averaged 38 attempts and 286 yards per game last year with Pete calling plays.
Jameis averaged 22 attempts and 186 yards per complete game in 2021 with Sean P calling plays.

The conservative offense started (and got tighter) when the Saints couldn't stop giving the ball away.
Maybe because in 2021 we were not playing from behind for the games he played. No need to throw as much when yu have the lead . In 2022 we were playing from behind in every game he played , so you throw the ball more. Stats don't tell the whole story

It was both QBs I was referring to...the offense stunk last season, it can be argued that it stunk more in the last 14 games than it did in the first 3.

The common denominator is Pete C. You said it yourself JW was progressing under SP then allegedly regressed under PC...so if that happened why blame JW when the thing that changed was PC taking over?

You guys are defending PC saying that this year it'll be better from him because he has a better QB. So that kinda implies that JW and AD didn't get their best version of PC to work with because PC didn't believe in JW or AD.
Winston got destroyed over and over again and played with serious injuries after little real speed practice until he broke his freaking back and continued trying to play.

You cannot reasonably judge PC based on what he did with a broken QB who was literally being crushed repeatedly due to protection issues.

Winston got destroyed over and over again and played with serious injuries after little real speed practice until he broke his freaking back and continued trying to play.

You cannot reasonably judge PC based on what he did with a broken QB who was literally being crushed repeatedly due to protection issues
But you can judge PC on his inability to properly use his playmakers in the other 14 games. Kamara, Olave and Hill weren't properly used at all.

We were using Olave to run 6 yard curls...Daltons arm wasn't shot, he could still get downfield...we just straight up "turtled" on offense. He has to own all of that.

But you can judge PC on his inability to properly use his playmakers in the other 14 games. Kamara, Olave and Hill weren't properly used at all.

We were using Olave to run 6 yard curls...Daltons arm wasn't shot, he could still get downfield...we just straight up "turtled" on offense. He has to own all of that.

Olave had over 1000 yards and should have won OROY had he not been injured. I'd say he was pretty successful under PC.

Taysom did Taysom things and Dalton is a washed-up never was playing behind a busted OL.

Frankly, I don't think you can judge PC on any of that.

Could he have done better, of course. But it's not like winning with inferior talent constantly in flux is easy or likely. And, it's certainly worth pointing out that we lost 3 games due to 2 Kamarra fumbles and 1 Ingram brain failure.

Ok let me see if I can explain this , You responded to a post by Bayousaintjoe saying
BayouSAINTJoe said:
Nope...because he took a QB that can put up numbers and cut his balls off with ineffective play calling.
From your post it looked like you thought it was Dalton he was talking about , But I think JW was the QB he was referencing to
Thank you. I just read it wrong.

Signing Carr doesn't change the absolute car wreck that was our offensive player calling.

He deserved to be let go and nothing has changed for me.
By virtue of operating so close to someone successful for some time, he has something to contribute to the continuity of the team.. and the habits associated with being successful. I think there's a place for him on the offensive side of the ball. I don't know if it's the OC, but we do need to retain him until we have more of our own personal identity established in the post-SP era.

That's my rub with PC. We had some straight up baffling matchups with our playmakers.

Contested catches designed to go to Taysom Hill who hasn't had double digit receptions in years. Then when we FINALLY go for it on 4th down it's Taysom Hill taking a snap under center instead of shotgun, predictably fumbles.

The whole end of the Tampa game was a nightmare. A rarely used UDFA and Hill are the only 2 running routes on one play. Then the only receiver who was a healthy inactive for a good while on a a crucial 3rd down. Dalton makes the terrible decision to throw to him with a CB in his face and boom, Tampa's back in it.

The offense was ineffective with Dalton (whose arm was completely shot) without a large dose of Taysom Hill yet there were long stretches where he'd get little use. Start of the Cleveland game called for running the ball and we let Dalton try and sling it around. Wasn't until Hill got more involved did we come back and win it.

Had a QB who was struggling and immobile but rarely helped him out with chips, screens, etc. Just something to help slow down the pass rush.

Shaheed had made some big plays for us yet sat rarely used on the sideline for a month.

That's my rub with PC. We had some straight up baffling matchups with our playmakers.

Contested catches designed to go to Taysom Hill who hasn't had double digit receptions in years. Then when we FINALLY go for it on 4th down it's Taysom Hill taking a snap under center instead of shotgun, predictably fumbles.

The whole end of the Tampa game was a nightmare. A rarely used UDFA and Hill are the only 2 running routes on one play. Then the only receiver who was a healthy inactive for a good while on a a crucial 3rd down. Dalton makes the terrible decision to throw to him with a CB in his face and boom, Tampa's back in it.

The offense was ineffective with Dalton (whose arm was completely shot) without a large dose of Taysom Hill yet there were long stretches where he'd get little use. Start of the Cleveland game called for running the ball and we let Dalton try and sling it around. Wasn't until Hill got more involved did we come back and win it.

Had a QB who was struggling and immobile but rarely helped him out with chips, screens, etc. Just something to help slow down the pass rush.

Shaheed had made some big plays for us yet sat rarely used on the sideline for a month.

What you described is not a coach with a bad plan. It's a coach with a plan that can't be executed by the personnel he had and no alternatives due to injury.

You can't make Dalton into Brees. And things like having Hill under center were unpredictable and not on tape so is that on PC that Hill fumbled or Hill?

I see Pete diagramming plays and Curry calling them. Pete goes back to his comfort zone and Curry gets his feet wet as an OC.

What you described is not a coach with a bad plan. It's a coach with a plan that can't be executed by the personnel he had and no alternatives due to injury.

You can't make Dalton into Brees. And things like having Hill under center were unpredictable and not on tape so is that on PC that Hill fumbled or Hill?
That under center play was almost certainly installed in the week leading up to the game, I’m sure they felt pretty confident about Hill’s ability to secure the snap (and the yardage) when it was called.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom