Promising changes... where do we stand with Pete Carmichael? (1 Viewer)

Ok, sooooooooo....why didn't they do any of this stuff last year? The "dumb" QB only played 3 games last year...Andy is supposed to be this super cerebral specimen w/ "photographic memory" sooooooooooooooooooooooooo why didn't we come to the line with 3/4 plays and let the genius pick one?
I think the conclusion/hope is that they were both the "dumb" one.

I'm concerned as well until I see it actually be different on Sundays.

Ok...so why didn't they do that any at all last year?
LOL well first JW is not good at pre-snap reads and was not good at getting us in the best option. AD, while supposedly having a great memory did not make very many good decisions @ the LOS ( See Callaway on the 3rd and 1) Also to be able to let your QB make those adjustments you have to have TRUST and if I'm PC I wouldn't have that kind of trust in any QB we had last yr

To be a very good/great coach at any position at any level is the ability to adapt and over come. I don’t care if you design the greatest plays ever, if you don’t have the players to execute that style/scheme it’s not going to work. The key to being a great coach is adapting your scheme to the strength of the players YOU HAVE! That’s one thing I loved about Brian Daboll when he got hired with the Giants. He did an interview and said (not word for word) “that he has a roster full of very good TE’s and not so great WR’s.” With Barkley in the backfield he adapted from the offense he ran in Buffalo to a more power run dominate offense with lots of play action off of it and Jones had his best season at QB ever. Now as Daboll builds his offense they way he wants it then he’ll slowly alter his scheme to where he wants it.

That is how you coach/coordinate and unfortunately I don’t think Pete has the ability to do that. I feel like Pete is milking Sean’s offensive scheme as best he can without the right players to make it work and he has no clue how to adapt it to the players he has strengths.

Last year was bad and I wouldn’t have minded a change but to be fair to Pete a lot went haywire beyond his control. Injuries across the board. Dalton being the main guy. So I get the reasoning in giving him another go…but this is a defining year for him and DA. On paper the NFC South should be ripe for the taking. They got Carr and potentially a healthy Michael Thomas. The playbook needs to flip wide open and be more explosive. If not there’s going to be a lot of fan anger demanding a change.

Same old story , it's never the QB only bad coaching and scheming. I'm guessing that you think all Ryan Leaf needed was a HOF/ Offensive Genius and a team loaded with talent. SMH. Also you must have missed the multiple reports that McDaniels DID NOT want Carr changing the play at the LOS taking away one of the things DC does best (until he gets the red zone)
Fixed it for you...

Also, if Ryan Leaf had a better head on his head and a support system, the sky was the limit but his downfall is well known. Crap, who knows, if it was the 80s and he was doing extraordinary things, who knows how his life might of played out. Shout out to Lawrence Taylor..lol.

And let me ask you this question; if what Derek Carr "excelled" at was taken away, shouldn't he have just adapted to the system that he had to play in?

LOL well first JW is not good at pre-snap reads and was not good at getting us in the best option. AD, while supposedly having a great memory did not make very many good decisions @ the LOS ( See Callaway on the 3rd and 1) Also to be able to let your QB make those adjustments you have to have TRUST and if I'm PC I wouldn't have that kind of trust in any QB we had last yr
I get it I get it.. but man it was bad and predictable enough for me to wonder what I was watching. Like, the QBs were dumb on presnap reads and therefore we just had to keep running Kamara straight up the middle into a brick wall? Still makes me wonder..

To be a very good/great coach at any position at any level is the ability to adapt and over come. I don’t care if you design the greatest plays ever, if you don’t have the players to execute that style/scheme it’s not going to work. The key to being a great coach is adapting your scheme to the strength of the players YOU HAVE! That’s one thing I loved about Brian Daboll when he got hired with the Giants. He did an interview and said (not word for word) “that he has a roster full of very good TE’s and not so great WR’s.” With Barkley in the backfield he adapted from the offense he ran in Buffalo to a more power run dominate offense with lots of play action off of it and Jones had his best season at QB ever. Now as Daboll builds his offense they way he wants it then he’ll slowly alter his scheme to where he wants it.

That is how you coach/coordinate and unfortunately I don’t think Pete has the ability to do that. I feel like Pete is milking Sean’s offensive scheme as best he can without the right players to make it work and he has no clue how to adapt it to the players he has strengths.
This exactly. Pete has this system and if it isn't working he has no alternatives to go to.

The 'Kamara up the middle into a brick wall again" thing is sort of emblematic of that.

Same old story , it's never the QB only bad coaching and scheming. I'm guessing that you think all Ryan Leaf needed was a HOF/ Offensive Genius and a team loaded with talent. SMH. Also you must have missed the multiple reports that McDaniels DID NOT want Carr changing the play at the LOS taking away one of the things DC does best
Naw. Leaf actually did suck. No 5k seasons, no 4k seasons, upside down td/int ratio. You trying to equate Leaf to last year’s starter is just another tell on yourself.

This is what made CSP so good. He didn't have this predetermined scheme like we went into this season. Whenever you hear Drew Brees or CSP talk about the early offenses, they were centered around what Drew was doing in San Diego. That's why we ran a Coryell based offense with West Coast elements and terminology. Coach Peyton built on the offense that Drew was used to running and added additional elements to it. I've said this before; unless you have a "plug and play" offense like Andy Reid or Kyle Shanahan, that "he doesn't fit the offensive scheme" crap is college level. Great coaches know how to build for and around personnel.

That's why it's hypocritical to say that coaching is why Carr looked bad last season but not having the same energy for our coaching situation..lol.
Naw. Leaf actually did suck. No 5k seasons, no 4k seasons, upside down td/int ratio. You trying to equate Leaf to last year’s starter is just another tell on yourself.
Did Leaf ever lead a Top 3 offense in the NFL? I just wanna know

This is another reason why I dont like DA he needs to be the BOSS and fire PC and bring in his own OC..... otherwise DA will be able to fall back on Payton's regime when it come's to Loomis/Benson asking whats wrong....

I think people forget that Drew also had something to do with the success of the offense. Drew made changes just about every play and could cover up for any deficiencies Carmichael and CSP had. Those deficiencies became more apparent in later years as Drew could no longer force the ball downfield but could still make changes to plays that suited him and the defense he saw. It isn't all Pete, though we'll see if anything changes with Carr under center.
Drew made Pete into fools gold. Hopefully, Carr can do something similar. He supposedly does change plays, which was a weakness last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom