Proposed Superdome Upgrades (1 Viewer)

You speak with such authority about something that you obviously have no real conception of. The stadium is not the attraction that the NFL bases its Superbowl selection upon. The city is and the city of New Orleans is the perfect place for Superbowls and is why we've hosted more than anyone except Miami. The only reason we haven't had more is because of the long term deal and not the dome.

The Superdome's proximity to all downtown attactions and hotels is another great thing on our side and to replace the dome anywhere except as close to downtown as the dome is now would be stupid. But you cannot produce one quote or statement from the NFL that cites the dome's age or functional age as reason for the Superbowl not being awarded to NO. Certainly, other cities make a push to show off their new stadiums and the NFL is trying to spread around the bonanza to help incentivize the building of these new billion dollar stadiums. But, and I repeat, the dome is not the problem. It is the deal w/Benson and when that is resolved, the dome will return prominently to the rotation.

Upgrades to the boxes and the increased number and continuing renovations will not hurt and a new stadium wouldn't either, but I will REPEAT AGAIN........................

The Dome is not the reason for the Superbowl not being in NO. It is ONLY the long term deal.

You obviously skimmed my post first few lines and posted this.

In any case my two post were my opinion based on some facts.

The actually do increase the number of seats in the dome for the Sugar Bowl. They push the sideline seats back and add sections of seats in the endzone.

Superdome Capacity

The Superdome has a listed maximum football seating capacity of 72,003 (expanded) or 69,703 (not expanded), a maximum basketball seating capacity of 55,675, and a maximum baseball capacity of 63,525; however, published attendance figures from events such as the Sugar Bowl football game have exceeded 79,000. A 1980s Rolling Stones concert attracted over 87,500 spectators.

However i did read somewhere else that the Superdome can seat 89,000.

The Superdome has a listed maximum football seating capacity of 72,003 (expanded) or 69,703 (not expanded), a maximum basketball seating capacity of 55,675, and a maximum baseball capacity of 63,525; however, published attendance figures from events such as the Sugar Bowl football game have exceeded 79,000. A 1980s Rolling Stones concert attracted over 87,500 spectators.

However i did read somewhere else that the Superdome can seat 89,000.

Im going to assume that the Stones figure included the floor....along with the 89k number. But man....If we can cram 79k fans in the Dome on Sunday.....no opoosing team should be able to hear absolutely ANYTHING!!! That would just be AWESOME!!!

Yes. Sellout numbers determine whether or not the game will be shown locally. The higher the number, the m,ore difficult it is to sell the game out and have the game available for the people who are not at the game to see it.

This won't cap the number of people allowed in the Superdome by any means. You can still have 74,000 show up and get in.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Went to Reliant Stadium recently for the Houston Rodeo and Martina Mcbride concert..Stadium is excellent, with wide concourses, escalators and an adundance of refreshment stands and Kioshes. They have trams, similar to Disney World running from just outside the stadium to the parking lots across the street.Traffic clears out reasonably fast.

Sound system is great. Food is high quality, but of course pricey.$46 for 2 beers and 2 burgers with fries. Seats however are uncomfortable, althought they do have enough space in the isles for people to move in and out woithout everone having to get up. They also have cup holders at each seat.

One big plus is all of the stadium employees and concession stand workers are extremely polite and helpful. something the Dome needs by all means.Overall on a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a 9. I would like to see wat the new Colts Stadium is going to be like.

Went to Reliant Stadium recently for the Houston Rodeo and Martina Mcbride concert..Stadium is excellent, with wide concourses, escalators and an adundance of refreshment stands and Kioshes. They have trams, similar to Disney World running from just outside the stadium to the parking lots across the street.Traffic clears out reasonably fast.

Sound system is great. Food is high quality, but of course pricey.$46 for 2 beers and 2 burgers with fries. Seats however are uncomfortable, althought they do have enough space in the isles for people to move in and out woithout everone having to get up. They also have cup holders at each seat.

One big plus is all of the stadium employees and concession stand workers are extremely polite and helpful. something the Dome needs by all means.Overall on a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a 9. I would like to see wat the new Colts Stadium is going to be like.

Buy a flask and eat before you go. Those prices are insane.

New seats w/ cup holder would be a nice improvement, but since I never buy anything to drink there it's a non-issue for me. Food is the same. I'll wait three hours for a Port of Call burger and a Monsoon. You could put a GW Fins and Arnaud's at every 30 feet of the stadium and it wouldn't change a thing. I don't have time to eat: I have screaming and yelling to do. :)

A tram that circled the stadium and ran down Poydras with a couple stops on the way to the river would be pretty cool and greatly used I bet.

Didn't McNair throw up a good bit of his own money for the stadium? Houston is a much bigger economy than New Orleans I bet as well, eaming they can absorb the costs on non-essential items like a retractable roof, too. It's just hard for me to argue the case for a new stadium with so much of the city still in ruins from Katrina. Pre-Katrina I was still not much of an advocate for a new stadium, but I could certainly see the possibility if someone got their act together in New Orleans with the LSED and city-wide improvements.

Maybe with Jindal and the next mayor we'll see the right kind of strides being made to bring New Orleans up to the same standard as Atlanta and Houston again? By that time, Ron Foreman should have the LSED humming.

The balconies were brought up to eliminate the so-called "bad seats" in the corners of the dome... the problem is, the Superdome is a multi-purpose facility that allows the building to host multiple events with different configurations. It was argued that the balconies would limit said configurations.

Tom Benson came out with two sets of drawings when he argued for a new stadium. His idea was to place it where the Lafitte (?) Housing projects currently stand off the interstate around North Rampart and behind Canal Street. The idea was you still would have all the great hotels/resturants/French Quarter in walking distance like you do with the Dome, but you'd also revitalize Canal Street the way the Dome did Poydras back in the 70s.

The Saints Hall Of Fame Museum, resturants, bars and sports stores would also be included in the stadium (sort of like the mall that used to be beneath the Hyatt).

There would also be ample parking for tailgating.

Here are those drawings:

Attachments

• Saints stadium interior.gif
    Saints stadium interior.gif
    122.7 KB · Views: 29
Yes. Sellout numbers determine whether or not the game will be shown locally. The higher the number, the m,ore difficult it is to sell the game out and have the game available for the people who are not at the game to see it.

This won't cap the number of people allowed in the Superdome by any means. You can still have 74,000 show up and get in.

You are mistaken with regards to superdome capacity.

For special events they roll back the plaza seats and actually fit in a few more sections in the plaza corners. The sideline plaza seats get pushed back and half of them are under the overhang.

Believe me, you do not want this configuration for Saints games. It screws half of the people sitting in the plaza.

You can not get 70K+ into the Superdome the way the dome is configured for Saints games.

Every Superbowl held in New Orleans has held well lover 70,000 spectators...

Just like the old public housing complexes in New Orleans, the Superdome was built with dedication and craftsmanship that you dont find these days regardless of how advanced technology is! That building is solid! And yes, it is and should continue to be upgraded as much as possible to keep in line with other stadiums in the league. Let's be real here, New Orleans has always been and will forever most likely remain a small market city even if we were to ever reach and win a Super Bowl! Nothing, not even a new stadium would drastically change our status over night or to the point that it would warrant having a new stadium built in the first place other than to please a few shirt and ties! That stadium is situated right where it needs to be because the footprint of this city is not as giving as other cities and there is no place to build something that close to the French Quarter which is what the city would want just to make revenue! People who live here know that just about everything in this city has or can be deemed historic if called for and therefore can't be touched! Building a new stadium over the ruins of either the Lafitte or Iberville projects, along the river front, along the lake front, into the Morial Convention Center, in the east or anywhere else for that matter is redundant!

I am in favor of all the great renovations as long as they don't come with a $45 per ticket price hike that the club level renovations have caused.

I am in favor of all the great renovations as long as they don't come with a $45 per ticket price hike that the club level renovations have caused.

They will... the renovations don't come out of the goodness of their collective hearts. The money has to come from somewhere.

And I'm feeling that $45 hike...

They will... the renovations don't come out of the goodness of their collective hearts. The money has to come from somewhere.

And I'm feeling that $45 hike...

I agree to an extent. The club renovations are worth the current price for the tickets.

However, a lot of the money being used for the Superdome is FEMA money. With that said, the Saints are investing little or no money in the Dome. So are we paying for the renovations or is the team just taking advantage of the renovations?

Either way, I am happy about the renovations because it should keep our Saints in New Orleans till we build a new stadium. $45 is a large increase in one offseason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom