Proposed Superdome Upgrades (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I know that there have been many threads regarding upgrades to the Dome. But I think that this one will be a little different.

I was talking with a co-worker about the news that the State and the Saints are entering negotiations again for a long-term agreement. We were discussing how much we love the Dome and the upgrades that have been made or ones that are scheduled to be made.

This discussion reminded me of some images I saw several years back (between 2001 and 2005). They were of potential upgrades to the Dome that converted the corner sections of the stadium into "French Quarter-style" balconies.

I can't find ANY pictures of this. Does anyone remember these images (or am I just completely off the wall?)? Or, more importantly, does anyone have the images in question??

Thanks.

I definitely remember the pictures. Think they were published on the front page of the Times-Pic whenever they were released.

Haven't seen them anywhere since then, though.

I know that there have been many threads regarding upgrades to the Dome. But I think that this one will be a little different.

I was talking with a co-worker about the news that the State and the Saints are entering negotiations again for a long-term agreement. We were discussing how much we love the Dome and the upgrades that have been made or ones that are scheduled to be made.

This discussion reminded me of some images I saw several years back (between 2001 and 2005). They were of potential upgrades to the Dome that converted the corner sections of the stadium into "French Quarter-style" balconies.

I can't find ANY pictures of this. Does anyone remember these images (or am I just completely off the wall?)? Or, more importantly, does anyone have the images in question??

Thanks.

let's just gut it and start fresh...

I remember those pics of the balconies and the artist renditions of the Dome with the new outer skin & windows. I wish I had saved them when they were first posted....... :(

The Windows are definately coming guys, as far as the balconies, i remember that article but i don't think we'll see them for a very long time with the Superdome shortfall in debt of 4Million and growing.

But from reliable sources those windows will be put in as part of the major renovation.

I don't think we should put those Balconies in the superdome though i think it would be best to wait until we are in a position to build a new stadium and put them in the New stadium, The Superdome only has 10-15 years left him her she'll be totally obsolete as a football stadium by 2025, but i hope we keep her around as a convention center, commercial office space and multi-use commercial building.

The Windows are definately coming guys, as far as the balconies, i remember that article but i don't think we'll see them for a very long time with the Superdome shortfall in debt of 4Million and growing.

But from reliable sources those windows will be put in as part of the major renovation.

I don't think we should put those Balconies in the superdome though i think it would be best to wait until we are in a position to build a new stadium and put them in the New stadium, The Superdome only has 10-15 years left him her she'll be totally obsolete as a football stadium by 2025, but i hope we keep her around as a convention center, commercial office space and multi-use commercial building.
The head of the Superdome Commission was on 870AM on Tuesday night and said that the window job is actually out for bid right now.

But regardless of anyone's opinions on the matter, does anyone have pics of both the proposed windows and the earlier proposed balconies?

:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

You say that with a fair bit of authority -- do you have a particular basis to be as sure as you are and do you have any more info/views? [Note, in print the preceding sentence probably looks like a challenge to your comment -- it's not intended that way -- I would just be interested in learning more info is you have it.] Also, I am not an engineer so am curious about your comment that the dome would be totally obsolete by 2025 -- why do you think that is neccessarily so (other than the fact that it can never realistically be an indoor/outdoor venue}?

Those French Quarter Balconies were part of an retractable roof stadium that would have been built near the superdome instead. I believe in one of the run down public housing units Bienville???? I don't remember. I don't know why you would want an open stadium in South Louisiana you wouldn't be able to open it till late October or early November with our heat and humidity and then theres always the rain that pops up out of nowhere

The balconies were part of a renovation to the Superdome. They were to be high dollar suites in the corners of the dome kind of like the larger suites in the Arena. You can probably find it at the TP website or maybe through the LA Public Library System online. They keep newspaper articles, etc. on-line.

The company I work for is actually bidding on the renovations for the dome and i looked through the plans yesterday. the main thing that they will be adding is glass walls in 4 corners of the dome. and also some escalators that are for club area only, so the club guys wont ride the other escalators. the glass walls are also in the club level. So basically if your not in the club you wont see the changes really

Those French Quarter Balconies were part of an retractable roof stadium that would have been built near the superdome instead. I believe in one of the run down public housing units Bienville???? I don't remember. I don't know why you would want an open stadium in South Louisiana you wouldn't be able to open it till late October or early November with our heat and humidity and then theres always the rain that pops up out of nowhere

G N A T S

write that down

You say that with a fair bit of authority -- do you have a particular basis to be as sure as you are and do you have any more info/views? [Note, in print the preceding sentence probably looks like a challenge to your comment -- it's not intended that way -- I would just be interested in learning more info is you have it.] Also, I am not an engineer so am curious about your comment that the dome would be totally obsolete by 2025 -- why do you think that is necessarily so (other than the fact that it can never realistically be an indoor/outdoor venue}?

If SMG can work some Miracles and bring the Dome into what the league considers NFL 21st Century standards then i'd say keep the Superdome around and allow the Saints to play it in for another 30 years or so, but i can't see even with the few upgrades of new seats, a better looking screen, Suite upgrades, concession upgrades and some Digital Ribbons around the place that the Superdome can keep up with what other cities are building such as Arizona, Dallas and Indy, Sure the Saints can play in it for decades to come but The NFL will never allow a Superbowl in the Superdome if they don't REALLY dramatic upgrades, the Superdome is a National Monument so i think we should keep it around it was a testament to what we could do in America and there's still nothing like it in the nation.
League wise we are slacking behind and i think when we finally get a Saints/State long term agreement out and a bid for the Superbowl the League will be hard pressed to pick New Orleans to host the next one when Indianapolis also bidding with it's Spanking new stadium you also have Dallas, and other cities ready to show off their new diggs, i think the next bid is 2012 so it will take a lot of work from the city begging, and Benson doing some damn good convincing that the Dome will still be attractive and purrty and have all those Bells and whistles with the Charm of the city and the location of dome being wrapped around all the Happenings, it'll also definately be very hard to get a bid in beyond 2020, Atlanta is doing virtually the same upgrades as the Superdome and the League has turned their noses up at ATL's bid's for Superbowls not saying the Ga Dome is anything like The Superdome just saying they are doing the samething we are and trying to impress the league and it's not helping their cause...

Also there's articles on NOLA.com about the Windows in the Superdome, it will be part of the 3rd phase which also include Elevators.

Last edited:
Once again, the Superdome as a facility is a non-issue. There have been substantial upgrades since the last Superbowl already.

Cities with new stadiums now receive a Superbowl to entice voters to carry the tremendous debt for a new stadium. It is a carrot dangling over their head, nothing more. Houston, Detroit, Phoenix, Indy and Dallas didn't (won't) get Superbowls because they have better facilities; They get one because they agreed to absorb the cost of building a new facility. There are no facility requirements to host a Superbowl or Jacksonville, FL would have never seen one. Miami and San Diego have hosted Superbowls since the last New Orleans Superbowl with lesser facilities than the Superdome. Structurally the Superdome is sound and because of it's frequent use, will be maintained at a high level.

The issue with the Superdome is that Tom Benson doesn't have control over as much revenue as he would, should there be a new stadium. A new stadium would bring the opportunity to sell PSL's, more suites and more control over non-Saints events.

Again, the Superdome is a world-class facility. It will remain a world-class facility for well over a decade. If the new Dallas stadium is the gold standard, there will be 29 other teams in trouble for hosting a Superbowl as well. The Superdome isn't even the oldest facility in the NFL.

2012 will almost assuredly go to Indianapolis since New Orleans won't even bid for that one because of an early Mardi Gras that year. Our sights are set on 2013.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom