Props from Pat Yasinskas about our D... (1 Viewer)

birdog

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Halftime observations from Atlanta

September 20, 2009 2:38 PM

Posted by ESPN.com’s Pat Yasinskas

ATLANTA -- A few quick observations at halftime:
Jake Delhomme’s been fine for Carolina. No interceptions yet.
Warning to Carolina fans: Your bigger problem might be your defense.
Warning to Atlanta fans: Yeah, your offense is very good. But the defense isn’t looking nearly as good as it did against Miami last week. If you want to win the division, you’ve got to at least play a little defense.
At the moment, I’d say New Orleans has the best defense in the NFC South. Seriously.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth

Yep. I've heard it from a more than a couple of analysts today who have commented that our D is better than it appears to be. People are noticing.

That's what the change in mentality will get you. When you are aggressive you will give up some big plays but you will disrupt the offense more often than they will "catch" you. I just think teams will respect our defense more even though we may not show it in the yards allowed per game category. Thats misleading due to the # of garbage yards we will give up while teams are playing catch-up.

Our D has forced 7 takeaways so far, which is the biggest positive so far. If we can average 2.5 takeaways per game, I think we'll go deep in the playoffs.

I’m looking at New Orleans’ schedule right now and not seeing anything that approaches a high-powered offense until Atlanta on Nov. 2 and, after that, there aren’t any serious offensive threats until New England on Nov. 30.

That gives Williams and the defense plenty of time to go from being good enough to being more than good enough.
I think this is the key comment he made. We did well against the Eagles Defense and Offense and we have a lot of time to improve before we get some other really good offenses. Right now, I only fear the Giants because they seem to be able to pull it out at the end a lot. Williams will have to ream our defense at halftime to make sure their heads are still in the game.

Matt

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom